None
[OP]
Mar 9, 2009
24 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa

Beware Lowe’s not taking returns

Hi

BEWARE Lowes isn't taking returns until who knows when.
(but home depot IS, so back to HD!)

I just bought an expensive thing from Lowes, they said I can return it if it is not right when I even bought it etc.
When purchasing they said NOTHING to warn that they aren't taking returns.

There are issues so I take it back a couple days later, and they are saying, they aren't taking returns until Covid is over and apparently this started in March.
And it isn't clear how long they are extending the return period, they said like a YEAR extension !! then a different Lowes store said 90 days.
They said its too much effort to tell customers purchasing things that there are no returns now. (What !? to hard to inform your customers about that news... )

Now I'm stuck with something for who known until when, and that money is tied up, and I have to go buy a replacement for it elsewhere.

I see other companies still are taking returns.
Homedepot has in store returns, even says they'll pick up things.
Some are even paying the return shipping on returns.
Last edited by lasvegas on Apr 10th, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Share:
25 replies
Aug 17, 2006
472 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Damn that Lowest!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1581 posts
1333 upvotes
Ottawa
Wrong forum is right.

However, when this is in the correct forum, it is irritating that stores are not making this clear. I ordered something from Walmart online. Found out after the fact - final sale - tried to cancel right away.

Still waiting to hear back why they wouldn't cancel the order and why it was not stated prior to purchasing that there was no returns (even if unopened). The product page even stated 90-day return on the item.
Last edited by cloak on Apr 10th, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 3, 2009
884 posts
353 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
It's the wrong forum, but I think the return policy is not out of place right now. They will take returns once this crisis is over.

It's going to be hard to facilitate returns now as none of their stores are open in Ontario (just online order and pickup) and I'd much rather they delay returns than put their employees at any kind of extra risk.
Nov 6, 2014
754 posts
1152 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
wah wah wah
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3686 posts
2644 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Why are you going out buying anything but groceries in the first place?
Did you miss the memo?
Jan 10, 2018
272 posts
780 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: Why are you going out buying anything but groceries in the first place?
Did you miss the memo?
It could've been a fridge or freezer.
Jan 6, 2011
193 posts
258 upvotes
toronto
Lowest price is the law!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3686 posts
2644 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Shady67 wrote: It could've been a fridge or freezer.
True.
However, I can't see OP hauling those back to the returns desk.
Feb 23, 2017
299 posts
238 upvotes
I work at Home Hardware. Can confirm we are also not taking returns in case anyone can't read the signs posted on the door and next to the till.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2806 posts
2774 upvotes
What's the problem? Costco isn't taking returns either..
[OP]
Mar 9, 2009
24 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
If it really was about covid then they wouldn't be open selling you everything.
But if your standing in the store with your Fridge and they don't want to take it, you're ALREADY IN THE STORE! If it was about covid then they should shut the door and not have people there.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4343 posts
3117 upvotes
First off, you really shouldn't be going out to buy non-essential things, let alone returning them. Second, Home Depot is not taking back returns now either. Not sure what the purpose of this thread *
Last edited by MrDisco on Apr 10th, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
[OP]
Mar 9, 2009
24 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
Elysianlight wrote: I work at Home Hardware. Can confirm we are also not taking returns in case anyone can't read the signs posted on the door and next to the till.
This is NOT true, both I confirmed with Home Depot - and the LOWES store manager confirmed that Home Depot was taking returns IN STORE.
[OP]
Mar 9, 2009
24 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
hierophant wrote: First off, you really shouldn't be going out to buy non-essential things, let alone returning them. Second, Home Depot is not taking back returns now either. Not sure what the purpose of this thread is *
Yes, Home Depot is - the Lowes manager even called them to confirm that Home Depot was still doing it.

Who said it isn't essential?
[OP]
Mar 9, 2009
24 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
MrFrugal1 wrote: True.
However, I can't see OP hauling those back to the returns desk.
Why not?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4343 posts
3117 upvotes
lasvegas wrote: Yes, Home Depot is - the Lowes manager even called them to confirm that Home Depot was still doing it.

Who said it isn't essential?
Why do you have to judge people who you know nothing about?
Well I guess the HD in your city is, but others aren't and for good reason.

If it was indeed essential you would have stated what the item is and if it was really essential you wouldn't have returned it, right?
[OP]
Mar 9, 2009
24 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
hierophant wrote: First off, you really shouldn't be going out to buy non-essential things, let alone returning them. Second, Home Depot is not taking back returns now either. Not sure what the purpose of this thread is *
Who said its not essential?
[OP]
Mar 9, 2009
24 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
hierophant wrote: Well I guess the HD in your city is, but others aren't and for good reason.

If it was indeed essential you would have stated what the item is and if it was really essential you wouldn't have returned it, right?
IF its broken and essential, then yes you would....

And that isn't the point of this post. Read it.
Who cares what is bought, what is that such a big deal for you?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3686 posts
2644 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
lasvegas wrote: If it really was about covid then they wouldn't be open selling you everything.
But if your standing in the store with your Fridge and they don't want to take it, you're ALREADY IN THE STORE! If it was about covid then they should shut the door and not have people there.
You are absolutely right. They should have closed their stores to foot traffic two weeks ago. They are using the "necessity exemption" to continue operating because of greed. NO ONE needs to be browsing paint chips.
Lowes is particularly bad, and I'm seriously considering severing my business transactions with them once things normalize (whenever that is).