• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2019 12:17 am
[OP]
May 5, 2011
13 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary

beware Lowes installation charge

Current getting lowes installation server to install a dishwasher.
When they show up they say I need a new shutoff valve to complete the installation.
Because my original can not connected to a 1/4" water line. Fine but they charge $ 75.00 for a $ 16.00 part which is 500% more at
retail pricing. On top off $ 200.00 on installation fee to start with.
Call Lowes and no solution like too bad too say
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2711 posts
681 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
sub123 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 6:16 pm
When they show up they say I need a new shutoff valve to complete the installation.
Because my original can not connected to a 1/4" water line. Fine but they charge $ 75.00 for a $ 16.00 part which is 500% more at
Don't accept the charge. Pay what you think is reasonable to install the valve and dispute the rest. Just assert yourself with the position you are explaining here. An installation charge of $75 is unreasonable when they are already on the job.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3480 posts
1471 upvotes
sub123 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 6:16 pm
Either pay Lowes what their quote is to replace the shut off valve or find someone else to install one.

Their installation is to: "Install your new appliance in the same opening and hook up to existing electrical and/or plumbing lines." Anything extra like replacing shut offs is extra. And you can't just pay whatever you feel like paying ... either accept their quote or get someone else to change the valve. You have an option.
Last edited by pootza on Dec 30th, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 16, 2006
531 posts
76 upvotes
North of GTA
I had a new bathtub faucet set installed earlier this year by Lowes - something I wasn't comfortable doing myself.
Price was higher than it should have been after seeing the time spent on the job.
Work was ok, but if he had spent an extra 10 minutes notching out the faceplate it would have looked a lot better.
Won't be using Lowes for any future installations - in fact, I've been going to Home Depot for my purchases since then even though Lowes is a lot closer.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16151 posts
3918 upvotes
Toronto
You can't do anything OP. Clearly it's more expensive when they install vs. buying the part yourself. Take it as a lesson.
[OP]
May 5, 2011
13 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary
Talk to the Installation Team from Lowes on Phone. Like talking to the wall. Even he said he would pay for that himself. But don't offer any solution.
Like too bad. They just helping their trading to charge an un-reasonable pricing for a part to finish up the installation, Maybe they get a cut for that.
I don't mine to pay extra but not $ 75.00 for a $ 16.00 part. And take him not even 10 second to cut PVC pipe and slap on a new valve.
Even an extra labor job require. $ 30 is fine. Specially he already charge $ 200.00 to start with. And he is not taking an extra trip to install.
Lowes don't even know it hurt their business in a long run. At least I am not going back. I think Home depot gives better service.
They don't even post my review on their site....lol
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2711 posts
681 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
pootza wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 9:05 pm
Either pay Lowes what their quote is to replace the shut off valve or find someone else to install one.
No. That is not the practice. The home-owner is dealing with extra unforeseen work necessary to complete the job.
pootza wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 9:05 pm
Their installation is to: "Install your new appliance in the same opening and hook up to existing electrical and/or plumbing lines." Anything extra like replacing shut offs is extra. And you can't just pay whatever you feel like paying ... either accept their quote or get someone else to change the valve. You have an option.
Extra work is needed on most jobs and there is a well established, fair process to price it. It is billed at contractor's cost plus a mark-up of about 20%.

The cost of the valve and any material is the actual cost of that to the contractor. (Not the retail price of that valve.)

The cost of the labour is based on his actual time or average time taken from a pricing book. The hourly rate is what is paid to the worker including benefits and mandatory government levies.

As it stands now, OP is being gouged.
[OP]
May 5, 2011
13 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary
I don't expected I need a new valve for the dishwasher. Since there are one there before and I test it is good.
I did purchase a same shutoff valve at home depot myself and install it myself getting ready for the new Freight that's comes with an ice maker.
Since that line just have a cap (rough in) on it not a valve.

They should inform the customer if the valve at your home can't connected to a 1/4" water line as an extension to the dishwasher. A new Valve is needed ahead.
And if I agree for the charge is fine with me. Not telling me on the day of delivery and install. Just my 2 cents.
They can do better than that. Well over charge me by maybe $ 50,00 is not much money. But I feel I got rap off at day light...lol
[OP]
May 5, 2011
13 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary
You are 100% right. If I don't have a shutoff valve there I got nothing to say. But I do have one.
They request a new one because they use a 1/4" water line as an extension for hook up.
And they are at my house already. And they don't offer me they can leave if I don't agree to it.
And they say there will be extra charge for the part. Than they turn around charge $ 75.00 lol
and the part cost $ 16.00 500% more. I don't mine to paid more that retail but not 500%
You get me ? anyway is over. Happy New Year
I post this is for other member just beware if they planning to ask other for doing installation.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3480 posts
1471 upvotes
Marzipan wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 9:44 pm
As it stands now, OP is being gouged.
OP ain't being gouged .. it's at least $80 for a plumber just to show up to a house.

The OP seems they're capable and insists it's such a small job that they should be able do it themselves and save the $75.

And it's not just $75 for the valve ... it's also the labour to install it.
[OP]
May 5, 2011
13 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary
Pootza
Yes I agree if they have to make a trip to install the valve. And if that is the case is very cheap. But I already pay them $ 200.00 to come
for installation the new washer.

Anyway Happy New Year
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10737 posts
5489 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Life goes on...

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 15, 2013
951 posts
295 upvotes
North of Toronto
The extra $75 was for the part and the additional charge to install that part?
[OP]
May 5, 2011
13 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for your advice. I email to Lowes head office (customer care) and if they don't look into this.
That's Ok is 30th Dec 2016 last that 48 Hr 2017 will kick in.

I just want to forget about this and move on. Life too short. As I said I post this is letting other members be aware.
Maybe this apply to all installation server not only Lowes. But Lowes should look into this instead "Too Bad, Too sad"...lol

Marzipan - Happy New Year
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5700 posts
1364 upvotes
BC
From what I can make out ....
I think OP is especially peeved because he thought he had done everything to avoid an extra charge.
And for the other new appliance, a fridge with icemaker, he had bought and installed a 1/4" shutoff himself where none existed before on the stubout.

Not sure why there was a 1/4" shutoff for the dishwasher, which he dutifully tested, as these are usually 3/8".
Can't see that Lowes are to blame for not asking the customer, "do you have the required 3/8" shutoff?"

Now $200 for a clean install of a dishwasher isn't peanuts, but it's probably the going rate, based on average travel time etc., and does involve the electrical connection too.
It is common knowledge that the real money (for the installer, not Lowes) is made on the non-standard "extras".

Agreed $75 is steep, but OP's thought of $30 is on the low side. About $50 would have been fair.
I doubt Lowes would be able to convince the installer to cough up $25 though.
Best to move on and put it down to an unfortunate turn of events.