Shopping Discussion

Beware of NewEgg Canada

  • Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 9:41 pm
[OP]
Newbie
May 3, 2021
1 posts
2 upvotes

Beware of NewEgg Canada

I'm building a new desktop computer and I bought a new motherboard from NewEgg ( Canada ). everything is new except the graphic card, wifi card, and the hard drive. What I did was deleted all the partitions on my hard drive and format then attached this drive to my new computer. I did a fresh clean installment of windows 10 pro, loaded all the drivers and got all the updates from Microsoft Update site, rebooted the PC. I went to activated windows with my license keys and notice at the activation screen windows has already been activated. I'm thinking how can that be since I never enter any keys and I don't have a Microsoft account?

I contact Newegg about it, told them that they have sold me a used motherboard and of course they denied. I asked how can Windows 10 pro be activated if it's a new motherboard? They didn't give me an answer. What the agent did end up doing was submit a request in to the matter and told me to come back in 3 days

IMO Newegg is a very deceitful company. The box that I got for this motherboard looks brand new there no evidence showing it not to be the case except for windows being activated ....

Correct me if I"m wrong but this is fraud. What I suggest to anyone buying a new motherboard don't enter your Windows license keys when installing windows wait until you have installed windows and afterward check to see if windows have been activated or not. At least this way you will know if your board has ever been used....

NewEgg and I are sure their others are scammers and can't be trusted. So if by chance you buy something from Newegg and it dies on you ( In a short period of time ) you can bet to sure you bought a used product from them as I did.
50 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 13, 2015
2178 posts
2294 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I don't understand your post. What does the motherboard have to do with windows 10 and any activations. You install windows on a hd/ssd and if that hd/ssd had or has a key already it will show activated on mostly all other motherboards. For example i gave my old ssd to my friend who had a windows 7 old hd. And when he booted it up, windows 10 was activated on his pc.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
2913 posts
2309 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Correct me if I"m wrong but this is fraud.
Yeah. You're wrong.

You don't install software on the motherboard, so how on earth would the motherboard have anything to do with the installation of Windows?

You've made a mistake here.
Last edited by ALLCAPS on May 5th, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12425 posts
7008 upvotes
Brampton
Uh yeh it's been activated... You activated it on your old system....
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2127 posts
1359 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
F-f-f-f-f-fail.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17163 posts
19072 upvotes
Oakville
MOOND0G wrote: I'm building a new desktop computer and I bought a new motherboard from NewEgg ( Canada ). everything is new except the graphic card, wifi card, and the hard drive. What I did was deleted all the partitions on my hard drive and format then attached this drive to my new computer. I did a fresh clean installment of windows 10 pro, loaded all the drivers and got all the updates from Microsoft Update site, rebooted the PC. I went to activated windows with my license keys and notice at the activation screen windows has already been activated. I'm thinking how can that be since I never enter any keys and I don't have a Microsoft account?

I contact Newegg about it, told them that they have sold me a used motherboard and of course they denied. I asked how can Windows 10 pro be activated if it's a new motherboard? They didn't give me an answer. What the agent did end up doing was submit a request in to the matter and told me to come back in 3 days

IMO Newegg is a very deceitful company. The box that I got for this motherboard looks brand new there no evidence showing it not to be the case except for windows being activated ....

Correct me if I"m wrong but this is fraud. What I suggest to anyone buying a new motherboard don't enter your Windows license keys when installing windows wait until you have installed windows and afterward check to see if windows have been activated or not. At least this way you will know if your board has ever been used....

NewEgg and I are sure their others are scammers and can't be trusted. So if by chance you buy something from Newegg and it dies on you ( In a short period of time ) you can bet to sure you bought a used product from them as I did.
How can you assembly a PC and not understand how windows activation works?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1178 posts
1556 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Same thing happened to me OP! Please listen to my story too!

I bought a USB from NEWEGG as I wanted to play some music in my car. After I load up the songs and I plug it into my car, my car no longer starts. I think NEWEGG sent me a defective USB with virus and corrupted my engine and now I have to pay $2000 at Mr. Lube to get it fixed. BEWARE! STAY AWAY FROM NEWEGG!!!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
14618 posts
8885 upvotes
Toronto
Holy thread backfire Batman!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
5443 posts
2873 upvotes
West Vancouver
Image
Last edited by Coz4k on May 5th, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2890 posts
1557 upvotes
London
windows 10 should be tied with ur hardware configure and should have tech required u to do a phone activation were in u would have had to explain to them hey i had to change X part out can i get the reactivation code. however since windows 10 Microsoft has started caring less sometimes it happens sometimes it will still activate anyway. most people would just lie anyway and get widows reactivated so its probably cost them less money not to have to pay a whole bunch of people to pick up the phone when activation fails then to just let it reactive.
Member
User avatar
Aug 5, 2005
490 posts
242 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote: I don't understand your post. What does the motherboard have to do with windows 10 and any activations. You install windows on a hd/ssd and if that hd/ssd had or has a key already it will show activated on mostly all other motherboards. For example i gave my old ssd to my friend who had a windows 7 old hd. And when he booted it up, windows 10 was activated on his pc.
I like to know how windows is activated if the hard drive from what I'm understanding has been deleted and reformatted?
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Member
User avatar
Aug 5, 2005
490 posts
242 upvotes
MOOND0G wrote: I'm building a new desktop computer and I bought a new motherboard from NewEgg ( Canada ). everything is new except the graphic card, wifi card, and the hard drive. What I did was deleted all the partitions on my hard drive and format then attached this drive to my new computer. I did a fresh clean installment of windows 10 pro, loaded all the drivers and got all the updates from Microsoft Update site, rebooted the PC. I went to activated windows with my license keys and notice at the activation screen windows has already been activated. I'm thinking how can that be since I never enter any keys and I don't have a Microsoft account?

I contact Newegg about it, told them that they have sold me a used motherboard and of course they denied. I asked how can Windows 10 pro be activated if it's a new motherboard? They didn't give me an answer. What the agent did end up doing was submit a request in to the matter and told me to come back in 3 days

IMO Newegg is a very deceitful company. The box that I got for this motherboard looks brand new there no evidence showing it not to be the case except for windows being activated ....

Correct me if I"m wrong but this is fraud. What I suggest to anyone buying a new motherboard don't enter your Windows license keys when installing windows wait until you have installed windows and afterward check to see if windows have been activated or not. At least this way you will know if your board has ever been used....

NewEgg and I are sure their others are scammers and can't be trusted. So if by chance you buy something from Newegg and it dies on you ( In a short period of time ) you can bet to sure you bought a used product from them as I did.
What kind of windows do you own, is it oem or retail? If its retail I would check your new board and see if the keys match with your
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Member
User avatar
Aug 5, 2005
490 posts
242 upvotes
tebore wrote: Uh yeh it's been activated... You activated it on your old system....
Another one how can you activate windows from his old system if the hard drive has been deleted and reformatted?
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
4281 posts
3253 upvotes
Vancouver
Obvious user error.

You put together a half-used and activated computer with a new motherboard.
Sr. Member
Feb 15, 2007
987 posts
308 upvotes
Pickering
$n00ker wrote: Another one how can you activate windows from his old system if the hard drive has been deleted and reformatted?
Nothing to do with what is/was on the hard drive, and everything to do with the serial/model number (and all the components).
Member
User avatar
Aug 5, 2005
490 posts
242 upvotes
Spinner wrote: Obvious user error.

You put together a half-used and activated computer with a new motherboard.
So far the error I see is your statement. Explain to me how you can activate windows with a deleted/reformatted hard drive, graphic card, and wifi card?
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Member
User avatar
Aug 5, 2005
490 posts
242 upvotes
stormy13 wrote: Nothing to do with what is/was on the hard drive, and everything to do with the serial/model number (and all the components).
Serial number/ model number of what, the hard drive?
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Member
User avatar
Aug 5, 2005
490 posts
242 upvotes
Windows 10 once it gets activated is good as long as the motherboard lives, if the motherboard dies so does that windows license ( unless its a retail version ). Oh yeah, you can try to bring your hard drive to another computer and still use it but if the hard drive for what OP said has been deleted and reformatted there no way you can activated another PC unless you have a Microsoft account but again the OP said he doesn't have one
Last edited by $n00ker on May 5th, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
4281 posts
3253 upvotes
Vancouver
$n00ker wrote: So far the error I see is your statement. Explain to me how you can activate windows with a deleted/reformatted hard drive, graphic card, and wifi card?
Activation will capture unique identifiers from all components. Whether you format your drive or not doesn't matter. These details are stored on Microsoft's end.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 18, 2008
3144 posts
1181 upvotes
Ottawa
It's interesting that it's already been activated, a couple guesses on why this possibly occurred:
  • Despite booting from install media, you may have chosen upgrade instead of a fresh install
  • Maybe it's within the initial 30-day grace period (or whatever it is) and there's been a misunderstanding
  • Maybe you created a Microsoft account as login, which does synchronize your Windows product key. Especially in build 20H2+ where Microsoft makes it not obvious on how to set up a local account. More details here.

Top