Beware of NewEgg Canada

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 9:41 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1413 posts
989 upvotes
Vancouver
$n00ker wrote: There no way you can activate windows on a new motherboard from another hard drive that has been reformatted, if that is the case why even buy windows
Activation is not proof that you have a legal license to use Windows. Similarly, cracking activation also does-not mean you are doing something illegal.

I know many people who have physical box licenses and don't activate them to avoid the hassle of having to transfer the license between machines. Back in XP days, it was a pain, and people stuck to doing what they have since then
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
2220 posts
2353 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kramer1 wrote: Activation is not proof that you have a legal license to use Windows. Similarly, cracking activation also does-not mean you are doing something illegal.

I know many people who have physical box licenses and don't activate them to avoid the hassle of having to transfer the license between machines. Back in XP days, it was a pain, and people stuck to doing what they have since then
Dang, i remember XP days. Is there a reason XP was so much harder to activate and get a key for than 10? I remember back in highschool/middle school my pcs had a virus at least once a year, or i switched pc's and had to keep buying keys or like doing some hard method to get a license crack.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1413 posts
989 upvotes
Vancouver
blackbirdman wrote: Dang, i remember XP days. Is there a reason XP was so much harder to activate and get a key for than 10? I remember back in highschool/middle school my pcs had a virus at least once a year, or i switched pc's and had to keep buying keys or like doing some hard method to get a license crack.
Here is a video from the guy who created Windows Activation

He talks about the struggles of the earlier days. IIRC the issue was phone activation. Essentially how to condense the entire PCs description into a small enough phrase that can be read over the phone

AFAIK cracking was harder as they didn't have SLIC keys then. Nowadays it can be done via a key in the BIOS
Aug 5, 2005
491 posts
242 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Activation is not proof that you have a legal license to use Windows. Similarly, cracking activation also does-not mean you are doing something illegal.

Missing the whole point... So what are you trying to say that if you build a new computer and everything is new except your hard drive, And your planning to use this hard drive on your new computer now keep in mind your hard drive all the partition has been deleted and reformatted afterward you install windows and do nothing but install windows it's going to be activated?
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1413 posts
989 upvotes
Vancouver
$n00ker wrote: Missing the whole point... So what are you trying to say that if you build a new computer and everything is new except your hard drive, And your planning to use this hard drive on your new computer now keep in mind your hard drive all the partition has been deleted and reformatted afterward you install windows and do nothing but install windows it's going to be activated?
I would suggest checking the activation logs to figure out why that happened
Aug 5, 2005
491 posts
242 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: I would suggest checking the activation logs to figure out why that happened
I'm not the one with the problem. I'm just stating the facts but yet you did not answer my question?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1413 posts
989 upvotes
Vancouver
$n00ker wrote: I'm not the one with the problem. I'm just stating the facts but yet you did not answer my question?
No clue. Without access to the logs, it is impossible to tell. Maybe they matched some serial numbers.

Also, you are talking about a totally improbable scenario. OP mentions -
everything is new except the graphic card, wifi card, and the hard drive.
With 3 serial numbers matching, maybe that is enough for activation. But bear in mind activation doesn't mean much from a legal standpoint. What matters is you have a license to use Windows

Blaming NewEgg for sending OP an old used board, which has been flashed with SLIC keys, sounds a lot more improbable
Aug 5, 2005
491 posts
242 upvotes
kramer1 wrote:
Also, you are talking about a totally improbable scenario. OP mentions -
And how that?

kramer1 wrote: Blaming NewEgg for sending OP an old used board, which has been flashed with SLIC keys, sounds a lot more improbable
That not what I read from OP he saying he brought a new board, it's not old and it's been activated but not by him, and how would you know what Newegg or whoever have done to it?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1413 posts
989 upvotes
Vancouver
$n00ker wrote: And how that?
Because this is not what OP said -
Missing the whole point... So what are you trying to say that if you build a new computer and everything is new except your hard drive, And your planning to use this hard drive on your new computer now keep in mind your hard drive all the partition has been deleted and reformatted afterward you install windows and do nothing but install windows it's going to be activated?
That not what I read from OP he saying he brought a new board, it's not old and it's been activated but not by him, and how would you know what Newegg or whoever have done to it?
Refer to OP's post & thread title
I'm building a new desktop computer and I bought a new motherboard from NewEgg ( Canada ). everything is new except the graphic card, wifi card, and the hard drive. What I did was deleted all the partitions on my hard drive and format then attached this drive to my new computer. I did a fresh clean installment of windows 10 pro, loaded all the drivers and got all the updates from Microsoft Update site, rebooted the PC. I went to activated windows with my license keys and notice at the activation screen windows has already been activated. I'm thinking how can that be since I never enter any keys and I don't have a Microsoft account?

I contact Newegg about it, told them that they have sold me a used motherboard and of course they denied. I asked how can Windows 10 pro be activated if it's a new motherboard? They didn't give me an answer. What the agent did end up doing was submit a request in to the matter and told me to come back in 3 days

IMO Newegg is a very deceitful company. The box that I got for this motherboard looks brand new there no evidence showing it not to be the case except for windows being activated ....

Correct me if I"m wrong but this is fraud. What I suggest to anyone buying a new motherboard don't enter your Windows license keys when installing windows wait until you have installed windows and afterward check to see if windows have been activated or not. At least this way you will know if your board has ever been used....

NewEgg and I are sure their others are scammers and can't be trusted. So if by chance you buy something from Newegg and it dies on you ( In a short period of time ) you can bet to sure you bought a used product from them as I did.
Aug 5, 2005
491 posts
242 upvotes
So I didn't mention the other 2 hardware. I still don't think those 3 would be good enough to trigger activation especially if the drive was wipe, serial numbers or not, not on a new motherboard and I am will to bet on it
Oct 27, 2018
11 posts
1 upvote
As far I know there is no way, to activate windows after changing motherboard by itself, the question is how op did the instalation? CD or USB? Maybe the ISO that he used was already activated?
Still searching for the great beauty.