• Nov 27th, 2020 12:20 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18376 posts
4753 upvotes
Toronto

Beware sausages at Dollarama - Health hazard

This may just be a problem at a single store (Scarborough Eglinton and Midland) but be careful nonetheless.

For the Shopsy’s sausages, I noticed that they hung them up on the rack by using a hole punch to put a hole in the plastic. Of course this broke the seal and they were degrading. I know the hole wasn’t supposed to be there because I had bought them at another store before and they had no holes and were in a box.

This is what it’s supposed to look like:

D7BA617E-EC26-4237-B3EC-25D2DCADD9D7.jpeg

This is with the punched hole:

B164B7E1-4A94-44DC-BCCE-AAA25BC3F516.jpeg

32C6B754-246F-4E26-B96D-00B865AE51F6.jpeg

For the bottom pic you can see the discolouration of the sausage on the right.

I asked someone there to remove them from sale. He didn’t immediately because he said he would have to check with his supervisor before removing them.
46 replies
Apr 4, 2017
481 posts
386 upvotes
It's food at the dollar store. Probably best to avoid all food stuffs there
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15119 posts
16095 upvotes
Oakville
I mean, you really shouldn't be eating anything from dollar stores in the first place.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2785 posts
2576 upvotes
GTA
It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid people can be. I hope nobody buys these.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9039 posts
2897 upvotes
meh. Yea don't buy food from there, however those do look like pepperoni sticks, they are sold at gas stations, convenience stores ...etc Hard for those to go bad since they are loaded with preservatives but who knows with that discoloration
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2785 posts
2576 upvotes
GTA
blexann wrote: meh. Yea don't buy food from there, however those do look like pepperoni sticks, they are sold at gas stations, convenience stores ...etc Hard for those to go bad since they are loaded with preservatives but who knows with that discoloration
They have to be refrigerated after opening if you don't eat it all.

Can Pepperoni Go Bad?

So when it comes to storing unopened pepperoni sticks, the easiest way of going about it is to keep the package at the same temperature as it was in the supermarket. Once you open the package, the leftover sausage always requires refrigeration
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18376 posts
4753 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote: meh. Yea don't buy food from there, however those do look like pepperoni sticks, they are sold at gas stations, convenience stores ...etc Hard for those to go bad since they are loaded with preservatives but who knows with that discoloration
They are normally sealed. When sealed they last for many months. However, once the seal is broken they will go bad in days to weeks.

engineered wrote: I mean, you really shouldn't be eating anything from dollar stores in the first place.
I have no problem if they are properly stored. eg. Non-dented cans and sealed packages.

Problem here is that the pepperoni sticks are no longer sealed because someone had the brilliant idea to use a hole punch on them.

Reminds me of this pic:

68DE31E0-3CE4-4767-AA68-3885F715F3A1.jpeg
Nov 2, 2018
47 posts
31 upvotes
Vancouver
engineered wrote: I mean, you really shouldn't be eating anything from dollar stores in the first place.
I do make exceptions sometimes if I'm waiting in line and Pringles are on sale. Winking Face
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18376 posts
4753 upvotes
Toronto
I regularly get Kit Kats, sardines, and pretzels there.
May 16, 2010
315 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
i just eat licorice and candy from there, lol..
Apr 29, 2018
827 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver
That is exactly what I used to think, but had bought some mini pepperoni sticks, which are specifically sold as no refrigeration needed, but they caught fungus stored in the kitchen in a box
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5722 posts
1049 upvotes
Toronto
I think the manager gave some dimwit employee one of those single hole punches to load the sticks on a peg, and didn't give details to only punch the outer edge to not break the seal (shouldn't have to say that, I know).

This would have probably been better to contact dollarama somehow (twitter with location perhaps). Here you're not deterring anyone...it's just a quick laugh at incompetence.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2200 posts
1096 upvotes
London
yah the convenience store by my house sells them there not sealed in any package there just in a plastic container and u pick them out with tongs the container don't seal air tight
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13560 posts
8518 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Should report this to Shopsy’s.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!