Shopping Discussion

Beware of some Amazon's third-party sellers, products could come from the dumpster

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2019 10:56 am
[OP]
Jan 13, 2009
354 posts
341 upvotes

Beware of some Amazon's third-party sellers, products could come from the dumpster

Why Your Amazon Purchase Could Come From the Garbage | WSJ
16 replies
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
294 upvotes
I prefer to do not buy anything from a third party. For me, it is better to pay a little bit more or wait for that to get something selling by weird seller.
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2508 posts
1609 upvotes
GTA
Third party = No buy!
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2030 posts
493 upvotes
In Hiding
With AliExpress, Amazon and Walmart's 3rd party shysters, almost makes me go back to bricks 'n mortar stores - maybe we just need to learn to live with what we can see and feel before we buy. Wouldn't be surprised if eBay sellers are also dumpster diving, or raiding consignment stores.
Jul 28, 2017
221 posts
584 upvotes
So, let me get this straight:

Product gets created in a factory by company. Big box store purchases product. Big box store has product. Big box store does not sell product. Big box store liquidates or offs the product. Person buys product. Big box ships to person #1. Person #1 puts a new label and ships it to amazon. Amazon lists product. Person #2 buys product. Amazon ships to person #2. Person #2 uses product.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9086 posts
2685 upvotes
London
Retrodude wrote: So, let me get this straight:

Product gets created in a factory by company. Big box store purchases product. Big box store has product. Big box store does not sell product. Big box store liquidates or offs the product. Person buys product. Big box ships to person #1. Person #1 puts a new label and ships it to amazon. Amazon lists product. Person #2 buys product. Amazon ships to person #2. Person #2 uses product.
And somehow there's enough meat on the bone for everyone to eek out a living.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1905 posts
1152 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
This was shipped and sold by amazon.

WD Elements 10TB w/ Seagate 1TB inside

Explain that one to me
Images
  • BB46550A-E931-4F3C-952F-6F5775BA2FAE.jpeg
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3168 posts
1187 upvotes
Montreal
rob187 wrote: This was shipped and sold by amazon.

Explain that one to me
co-mingled inventory!?
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Jul 6, 2010
699 posts
1483 upvotes
Toronto
rob187 wrote: This was shipped and sold by amazon.

Explain that one to me
Dishonest customer abusing Amazon's generous return policy. You ended up with the result.
i am upside down
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1905 posts
1152 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
umopapisdnwei wrote: Dishonest customer abusing Amazon's generous return policy. You ended up with the result.
This has happened to me twice. This time the WD package was sealed, clear seals on the flaps were intact.

Previous instance was from the source, the drive was shrink wrapped but did not look right, the wrap was almost melted in one spot.

Thought I was safe with amazon as I didn’t think returned product ended up in the new product stream (thought it went to warehouse deals).
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1401 posts
309 upvotes
ORLEANS
I always just bought products that are eligible with prime shipping. I had no bad experiences. But guess I will be on the lookout. But all the things I bought still had factory seals on it for electronics.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12932 posts
2224 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
rob187 wrote: This has happened to me twice. This time the WD package was sealed, clear seals on the flaps were intact.

Previous instance was from the source, the drive was shrink wrapped but did not look right, the wrap was almost melted in one spot.

Thought I was safe with amazon as I didn’t think returned product ended up in the new product stream (thought it went to warehouse deals).
It could be internal theft/fraud, as opposed to customer returns. I don't know if you mean "shrink wrapped" as a generic term or actual shrinkwrap, but factory sealed items generally aren't done by shrinkwrapping. They use that cellophane wrap, which isn't so easy for people to replicate. If you see an item that actually is shrinkwrapped, it was most likely opened at one point, possibly by the retailer.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1905 posts
1152 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
rabbit wrote: It could be internal theft/fraud, as opposed to customer returns. I don't know if you mean "shrink wrapped" as a generic term or actual shrinkwrap, but factory sealed items generally aren't done by shrinkwrapping. They use that cellophane wrap, which isn't so easy for people to replicate. If you see an item that actually is shrinkwrapped, it was most likely opened at one point, possibly by the retailer.
The type of wrap in the picture, except it was thicker than usual and had one spot that was almost melted through like someone had done it at home with a heat gun.
Images
  • 2402565466_b143301960.jpg
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12932 posts
2224 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Leave it to Fruity to use shrinkwrap :D .
No tamper-proof sticker, I guess.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2968 posts
1132 upvotes
Lethbridge
Ottomaddox wrote: And somehow there's enough meat on the bone for everyone to eek out a living.
Baby you got a stew going!
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30924 posts
1757 upvotes
Fernando Poo
I don't know, I've gotten a few things from Amazon that looked like they've been in a dumpster. They've definitely sent me stuff that was sold to someone else before I got it.