Shopping Discussion

BEWARE The Source CC (Kennedy/Shepphard): Bait and Switch!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2009 3:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5082 posts
1024 upvotes

BEWARE The Source CC (Kennedy/Shepphard): Bait and Switch!!

so now its common knowledge that [rfdlink=109]The Source[/rfdlink] CC is selling the Nokia N95 for $0 on a new activation and its chain wide. My friends went to [rfdlink=109]The Source[/rfdlink] CC to open a new activation. The sales rep was very kind and answered all questions except when the contract was processed he kindly asked for $99.99+tax ??? My friend immediately asked why and the clerk claimed that it was $99.99+tax then you get back a $100 [rfdlink=109]The Source[/rfdlink] CC GiftCard. My friends were like WTF!? and explained how they were just at yorkdale and it was $0. The sales rep replied that ohh it must of been a misunderstanding and they were not allowed to leave until they pay the $99.99+tax. They then asked for a manager but the clerk who was the only person in the store at the time claimed to be the store manager ... the account was already opened and basically had my friends by their balls... my friends didnt want to deal with it at the time but if it was me I would of let all hell break loose for bait and switching me .. so for everyone please watch out when ur at [rfdlink=109]The Source[/rfdlink] CC cant trust those low lives...

Kennedy and Sheppard Location - BEWARE!
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6618 posts
1287 upvotes
akz wrote: The sales rep replied that ohh it must of been a misunderstanding and they were not allowed to leave until they pay the $99.99+tax.
Had they already signed something at that point?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10070 posts
1942 upvotes
Toronto
Thanx for the story, but ya, why couldn't he just walk away? It didn't seem like the Source had any money yet, since they were asking for it still.

What info could the Source have that can possibly legally force your friend to pay up?

If he signed something, grab it and tear it up! hehe, no proof. The sales lied.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5082 posts
1024 upvotes
yes they had already signed everything went through and THEN he asked for the 99.99 + tax. When they asked him why he said ohh its a in-store credit of $100 to make the phone $0 which is totally not the case. My friend is a girl too and she is shy she feels completely bullied.

btw Happy New Years everyone :)

They couldnt walk away the contract for Rogers was signed and they wouldnt let them leave kept making pressuring her saying how she had to pay or they wouldnt give her the phone etc. I was so angry when I found out, I always tried not to shop at the source especially down in the scarborough areas I find that places like Hillcrest Source CC are a lot more for customer service. Im going to call in tomorrow for her and file a complaint at the Hillcrest store and see what they can do for her.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16390 posts
4890 upvotes
Toronto
Yea a lot of those Source places are run by Indians and some of them are damn sneaky. When they give me hard time, I just start talking in their native language.. and they back off quickly :)
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12967 posts
1422 upvotes
from the ads, i figured that it would be an instore credit instead of the instant off discount but then my friend got $100 off her Bold at eatons centre and that proved me wrong. i believe it said something like "less $100 in-store credit" which made me think that it was a gift card.

funny how the shopping discussions section is currently sponsored by the source.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2340 posts
26 upvotes
The contract is not sealed until you make 15 minutes of phone calls or within 30 days of activation whatever comes first. And just because the contract has been put through sales central doesn't mean that it is final. Trust me, if a customer says at the end, even after signing "I changed my mind" I was legally obliged to refund it.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14030 posts
3205 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Um, how is that 'bait and switch'?

You should also send a note off to Rogers.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2612 posts
58 upvotes
the 15 minutes / 30day rule still applied. you can return both the phone and nullify the contract within 15 minutes of phone call and 30 days after date of signing. just tell the rep no thanks and leave.
it's not who you are, it's what you do.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5082 posts
1024 upvotes
Yeah I let her know about the 15/30 minute contract rule.. but she didnt know that and I only found out after. The ads are a instore credit but if you look it says - $100 instore instant credit to make the phone $0. Its funny though how he was able to play word twister with that on my friend its like they forced her to buy a $100 GC (with tax) to spend at their store (revenue) then only get to spend $100 GC (without tax) at the store.. The problem was she went with another friend who also got her N95 from The Source and it was $0 who heard from her other friends who also got it for $0 which is why this place seemed so sketchy. I really didnt want to say The Source CC was sketchy based on the people working there but hightech was right most locations are run by rude and sketchy Indians. (no offense intended) I will talk to her today and definitely bring this to Rogers attention as well but I doubt they will do anything. I doubt she will want to cancel and redo her contract etc as to her money isnt really an issue, im just brining it up here so that everyone knows and is careful esp when signing contracts or anything at a place like The Source CC.
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
Go back another day and get them to talk to the DSM about it, or go to the website to complain. Just go in, and if that person was the manager, tell him to get in contact with his boss, because the dsm would know the promo a bit better.
You can't be forced to buy something if you don't want it, you friend could have easily said "that's not what the sign says, cancel this contract and I'll go somewhere else to get it"

But the $100 "in-store credit" is NOT even supposed to be a gift card, the $100 in store credit is supposed to be applied to the phone, to bring the phone down in price to $0. As in, you don't pay a penny for the phone in store.

The promo is over now (should still be able to get the credit on the orginal, especially if you bring it to the manager/district manager's attention) but this isn't a source bait and switch, it was one guy who didn't know what he was doing, or was misinformed. You even said it yourself that you knew other people that got it for $0 in store, and there were a bunch of people in the n95 thread saying the same thing, so it's kinda lame having a thread title saying the source (as a company) was doing a bait and switch...

Also, saying "no offense intended" after you make an offensive comment doesn't make it ok.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5082 posts
1024 upvotes
How can someone who is "supposedly" a manager not know the promos? Who's fault would that be? The company's for lack of training.. and this isnt the first time this has happened at places like The Source. Sales @ STC tried to sell me a highspeed internet pricing plan that did not exist and after entering all information said "oh the price is actually ...." I immediately took back my IDs and went to the Rogers Plus store. Your talking as if the issue is with me but it is not I was not the person who was getting the N95. I am just letting others know what happened. As an employee of The Source CC are they not representing The Source CC? Thus yes my title is correct. These problems have existed for a while especially in the Scarborough areas, hence why Radio Shack went down the drain.
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
akz wrote: How can someone who is "supposedly" a manager not know the promos? Who's fault would that be? The company's for lack of training.. and this isnt the first time this has happened at places like The Source. Sales @ STC tried to sell me a highspeed internet pricing plan that did not exist and after entering all information said "oh the price is actually ...." I immediately took back my IDs and went to the Rogers Plus store. Your talking as if the issue is with me but it is not I was not the person who was getting the N95. I am just letting others know what happened. As an employee of The Source CC are they not representing The Source CC? Thus yes my title is correct. These problems have existed for a while especially in the Scarborough areas, hence why Radio Shack went down the drain.
radioshack didn't go down the drain... Intertan has been around for a while, and was bought by circuit city for various reasons including more buying power, and is know going to be bought out by a different company because circuit city (NOT the soruce) is doing bad.

What I was trying to say was that there are a LOT of stores, and if one store, or one area is bad, doesn't mean every other store is bad. there are more than 600 stores accross canada, there are definitely going to be bad stores our there with bad managers.
There are also stores that never sell cell phones, but we carry about 4000+ other products, so maybe that manager doesn't do many, if any, cell phones so doesn't keep on top of the promos because he has other things to deal with, who knows.
But like I said, if you bring this to the attention of the District Manager, or complain through the website, and it should be resolved.

But having a title saying "BEWARE the Source CC: bait and switch" makes it sound like the company as a whole is doing this, and this will happen at any store you go to. I know 100% that if you were in my store, or any other store in town, or probably any other store in our district (vancouver island, whitehorse, and a few stores on the mainland) that this issue would have not happened.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5082 posts
1024 upvotes
tomthegreat wrote: radioshack didn't go down the drain... Intertan has been around for a while, and was bought by circuit city for various reasons including more buying power, and is know going to be bought out by a different company because circuit city (NOT the soruce) is doing bad.

What I was trying to say was that there are a LOT of stores, and if one store, or one area is bad, doesn't mean every other store is bad. there are more than 600 stores accross canada, there are definitely going to be bad stores our there with bad managers.
There are also stores that never sell cell phones, but we carry about 4000+ other products, so maybe that manager doesn't do many, if any, cell phones so doesn't keep on top of the promos because he has other things to deal with, who knows.
But like I said, if you bring this to the attention of the District Manager, or complain through the website, and it should be resolved.

But having a title saying "BEWARE the Source CC: bait and switch" makes it sound like the company as a whole is doing this, and this will happen at any store you go to. I know 100% that if you were in my store, or any other store in town, or probably any other store in our district (vancouver island, whitehorse, and a few stores on the mainland) that this issue would have not happened.
Well this I agree with you cause like I said before up top Ive only experienced bad service with the stores in Scarborough area places like Hillcrest and Vaughan Mills have always had great service. I once had to return a defective item which the STC store refused to take back (when it was purchased there) and wanted to charge a restocking fee regardless. I went to Hillcrest and after explaining the situation the sales helped me return it with no problem and no voices raised at all. Probably this dosnt happen in the GVA area, but The Source CC does infact have its problems in the GTA area. Maybe the topic was a bit harsh Ive edited it.

Yea I will tell my friend to do that but she dosnt like confrontation, but Ill be going with her to the Hillcrest Source CC to see if they can do anything about it there. Ill keep you guys updated. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)