[OP]
Nov 29, 2005
411 posts
50 upvotes

BEWARE of Universal Energy

BEWARE of Universal Energy Never purchase natural gas from a Marketer
http://www.universalenergy.ca/

JOIN THE SURVIVORS FACEBOOK GROUP.

NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM A DOOR TO DOOR SALE PEOPLE.

I have been coerced into signing up for the Universal Energy; a door to door sale Chinese lady showed up at front of my door when I purchased the house ( I think the real estate MLS sells these information ) asking to sing me up on the natural gas plan. These people pretend like they are from the Enbridge, they ask to see your utility bill and tell you that the gas price is going up in the near future. Pretend like they are doing you a favor and make you sign up. They won
:)
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8454 posts
15 upvotes
Also be aware of nigerian scammers.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15570 posts
2209 upvotes
[quote="arvins" post_id="6444608" time="1203644246" user_id="34836"]I have been coerced into signing up for the Universal Energy; a door to door sale Chinese lady showed up at front of my door when I purchased the house... they ask to see your utility bill and tell you that the gas price is going up in the near future...They won
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Dec 22, 2005
751 posts
5 upvotes
Dundas
JAC wrote: Dude, I feel bad you got scammed. But you need to grow a pair.
He didn't get scammed. He signed a contract and broke it.

It sounds like the OP signed up for natural gas then later moved. The contract clearly states that if you move you have to tell them so they can continue to supply you natural gas. If you didn't like this you shouldn't have signed.

DOn't get me wrong I hate those sales people comming to my door all the time. Plus their tactics are very sneaky, I agree. However, even when you sign up with the sales people, they send out another confirmation letter which giving you the option of canceling.

People should really read contracts before they sign.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Krox wrote: He didn't get scammed. He signed a contract and broke it.

It sounds like the OP signed up for natural gas then later moved. The contract clearly states that if you move you have to tell them so they can continue to supply you natural gas. If you didn't like this you shouldn't have signed.

DOn't get me wrong I hate those sales people comming to my door all the time. Plus their tactics are very sneaky, I agree. However, even when you sign up with the sales people, they send out another confirmation letter which giving you the option of canceling.

People should really read contracts before they sign.
+1! This is no where near a scam by Universal Energy. I have a feeling it's the OP that is actually trying to pull the scam in this situation but I may be wrong. Possibly the OP doesn't like the rate they signed up for and now has tried putting the gas bill in another's name to avoid paying the contracted rate. Maybe they really did move, who knows. But it doesn't work and they will sue you and win. :rolleyes:
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2029 upvotes
Nowhere
To the OP and anyone else who feels compelled to buy/sign things at the door. Repeat after me:

"I am not interested". Then slam the door in their face.

Works everytime.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9488 posts
558 upvotes
Markham
In theory these contracts aren't a scam, they work out in your favour IF the natural gas rates increase significantly, since you'll be "locked in" at some fixed rate. However, it does sound like you knew what this was about, and you took the risk and did it.

I'm not sure how you can get out of this, but in the future, DO NOT sign any contract without knowing what you're getting into.
:lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
2910 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
There are like 3 or 4 of these companies in Ottawa. Every summer, they come at least once a month. I tell them that I'm not interested, and I feel bad, but they are so pushy, that I have to close the door while they are still talking.

The last one was called... The Ontario Energy Savings Board, or something like that. I actually thought it was real when she started to try and confuse me by dropping a real government website, I really thought I was missing out on a rebate, until the girl took out the "form" and asked to see my bill, then I knew it was the same as all of the others, and quickly closed the door.

I'm sure they will be back this summer as well.. I cringe ever time my door bell rings.
Pepsi WEH Winner - 4 for 5
Didn't win a Xbox X.. but next best thing. Scored at the Brick for $249! $300 off!!!
[OP]
Nov 29, 2005
411 posts
50 upvotes
anyway to stop these people?

is telemarketing illegal in Canada now? aren't these door-to-door sale people fall into the same category?
:)
Nov 26, 2003
132 posts
They come to our house constantly, ignoring our "No Agents or Salespeople" sign on the frontdoor ("because I'm not here to sell you something, I'm here to confirm your energy savings are valid" crap is their justification).

Lately they have been getting more and more pushy and one even got insulting when I was closing the door with a "we're not interested, but good luck" - he started saying nasty things loud enough for me to hear through the door.

I'm getting sick of these people doing this. It's my freaking home, leave me be!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7333 posts
758 upvotes
Jetfire wrote: They come to our house constantly, ignoring our "No Agents or Salespeople" sign on the frontdoor ("because I'm not here to sell you something, I'm here to confirm your energy savings are valid" crap is their justification).

Lately they have been getting more and more pushy and one even got insulting when I was closing the door with a "we're not interested, but good luck" - he started saying nasty things loud enough for me to hear through the door.

I'm getting sick of these people doing this. It's my freaking home, leave me be!
Take their information, pretend to be interested if you need to, to get it. Call their office and tell them you've repeatedly said no, and mail them a letter via registered mail saying that they're not welcome on your property. If they come back, you have written proof they've been told about it, and call the cops and have them charged with trespassing.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1370 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i think there was a part of our conversation where I ask the rep if they have all these info @ their end. he says that they don't .. they're a 3 party company that verify's the consumer is getting a cheaper rate.

:confused:

so, what's the point of them coming over?
One of the happiest moments in life . . .
"is when you find the courage to let go of what you can't change"