• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2008 8:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2264 posts
299 upvotes
These people really piss me off. The come as close as they can to impersonating the government or the real energy company and use bullying tactics. It's easy to be a smug a**hole and say 'buyer beware,' but not everyone is consumer savvy and people should not be preyed upon. I feel really bad for the elderly people that probably get bullied into giving these people their money.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7330 posts
755 upvotes
RedFlagRobot wrote: These people really piss me off. The come as close as they can to impersonating the government or the real energy company and use bullying tactics. It's easy to be a smug a**hole and say 'buyer beware,' but not everyone is consumer savvy and people should not be preyed upon. I feel really bad for the elderly people that probably get bullied into giving these people their money.
lol...I had someone come to my door last night, funny enough. He asked to see my bill, and I told him the entire building had utilities included in rent. He said: "But I saw a meter room down the hall.". I asked how many apartments had signed up, since he said he started at the top. He said none.

2 secs later saw him drive away from my balcony. :p
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6333 posts
989 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: To the OP and anyone else who feels compelled to buy/sign things at the door. Repeat after me:

"I am not interested". Then slam the door in their face.

Works everytime.
+1
Absolutely! Never talk to anyone selling something door to door. Don't even let them tell you what they're selling. I have a "No Soliciting" sign up and I ruthlessly enforce it (except for the kids selling chocolate bars !). And yes, people selling religion who can't seem to read also get the door slammed in their faces.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
arvins wrote: An entire verbatim repost of original post deleted.
And the reason for completely repeating your original post was...?
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3487 posts
548 upvotes
Valleywood
In addition to the "No Solicitors" sign on the outside of the door, it seems like some people need a sign on the inside that says "Salesman Alert: Open Door At Your Own Risk".

The aggressive nature of the various energy plan marketers is proof enough that they are not making the rounds through your neighbourhood to save you money! No one will ever convince me that the addition of a middle man will reduce my costs.

My current gas cost is about 24.5 cents/cubic-meter. A recent offering from Universal energy was 39 cents/cubic-meter. That is a 59% premium. Assuming that I currently use $100 of gas per month, a fixed rate plan would bump that to $160!

To hedge any increase in natural gas, I could take that $60 premium and buy a gas ETF like HNU. At the end of 5 years, I would have invested $3600 and it would likely be worth significantly more. If natural gas costs fall, then my monthly bills have decreased and my hedge would be worth less than $3600, but the money is still mine!