Parenting & Family

Bexsero Meningitis B Vaccine??

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8760 posts
2392 upvotes

Bexsero Meningitis B Vaccine??

Any new parents want to chime in? It's not covered by OHIP in Ontario, and the doc recommends my newborn to get it on the next appointment. It's about $150. The vaccine seems fairly new in Canada, and some countries don't even have it yet.

Thanks
27 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3402 posts
3751 upvotes
Montreal
EPcjay wrote: Any new parents want to chime in?
I got it for my child. The odds of meningitis aren't very high, but it can be tragic so $150 x3 is a reasonable expense to avoid it. Also, if you have private insurance it may be covered.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5766 posts
1604 upvotes
We also got it done last week on our 9 month old. It was $122
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16799 posts
2464 upvotes
I got it, it's probably a waste of money, the odds of meningitis are pretty low ... but my wife does know one child who got it; lost her hearing and became a little slow afterwards. Vaccinating our recent child made my wife feel better.

Doctors are probably getting a nice commission for each shot they do, that's why they're pushing it so hard.

I think we paid $180 for the shot.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9070 posts
2370 upvotes
Hrm... never heard of this. Will look it up, our pediatrician made no mention of this shot.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Aug 28, 2012
38 posts
17 upvotes
The family doctor gets somewhere between $5 to 7 dollars for giving the vaccination (this is the general fee range for administering all types of vaccinations in Ontario). Bexsero may provide protection against N. Meningitidis strain B which is currently not covered by the provincially funded Meningitis vaccine. Strain B is the more invasive strain, associated with with more meningitis related deaths and NICU admissions. The most benefit is derived when the vaccine is given at a young age (i.e. infant) who are most at risk of getting meningitis plus they get protection early on. What is not clear is the actual efficacy of the vaccination based on my reading.

Some private insurance plans may cover part or all of the cost of the vaccination. My daughter has completed 2 in a series of 3 shots and did not experience any side effects.
coolspot wrote: I got it, it's probably a waste of money, the odds of meningitis are pretty low ... but my wife does know one child who got it; lost her hearing and became a little slow afterwards. Vaccinating our recent child made my wife feel better.

Doctors are probably getting a nice commission for each shot they do, that's why they're pushing it so hard.

I think we paid $180 for the shot.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7727 posts
1193 upvotes
GTA
I've been considering this vaccine as well (although my daughter is a bit older now - 18 months). I am a strong supporter of vaccination in general but have been holding off on this one as I am cautious about things that are new. I likely will go ahead with this one.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Oct 15, 2004
47 posts
12 upvotes
We also went ahead with getting this vaccine for our son. We are coming up to our final dosage soon and also have not seen any side effects. How many dosages your baby/child will get is dependant on their age at which they first started getting the vaccine.

After speaking with some friends who had babies around the same time, they said their pediatrician never mentioned this to them either.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25154 posts
2330 upvotes
Markham, ON
itsjustme wrote: We also went ahead with getting this vaccine for our son. We are coming up to our final dosage soon and also have not seen any side effects. How many dosages your baby/child will get is dependant on their age at which they first started getting the vaccine.

After speaking with some friends who had babies around the same time, they said their pediatrician never mentioned this to them either.
my doctor has been pushing it for a while now...still debating...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24395 upvotes
Center of Universe
There are two or three brands of the vaccine (forgot which one we got for our kid); but it was also recommended before age of 12months (when it is covered by OHIP).
3 shots at $150 each or so and fortunately for us, it was covered by our workplace group benefit plan.

No side affects, other than it overlapping with other scheduled shots, in which one visit the kid got 3 needles back to back.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8760 posts
2392 upvotes
Thanks for the replies. I'll likely go ahead with this. My workplace benefit covers this as well, so out of pocket expense is minimal.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7727 posts
1193 upvotes
GTA
For those that got this shot, did your doctor's office have it there or did they give you a prescription to fill and bring in to them?
Never say never
Oct 15, 2004
47 posts
12 upvotes
sillysimms wrote: For those that got this shot, did your doctor's office have it there or did they give you a prescription to fill and bring in to them?
Our doctor wrote a prescription to have it filled. Our doctor would let us know when the next dosage should be administered so we would just refill the prescription right before the checkup.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24395 upvotes
Center of Universe
sillysimms wrote: For those that got this shot, did your doctor's office have it there or did they give you a prescription to fill and bring in to them?
Pediatrician or GP will write up a prescription and you can go get it from any pharmacy.
The only type they carry is the OHIP covered single dose, which is reserved for kids at 12mths.

Just don't get it too early as it is required to be refrigerated and has a "shelf" life.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7727 posts
1193 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Pediatrician or GP will write up a prescription and you can go get it from any pharmacy.
The only type they carry is the OHIP covered single dose, which is reserved for kids at 12mths.

Just don't get it too early as it is required to be refrigerated and has a "shelf" life.
Regarding the OHIP covered vaccine, are you referring to Bexsero or another vaccine?

I know Bexsero is the only vaccine that is currently available and approved that covers strain B although there are other OHIP covered vaccines that are part of the regular vaccine schedule that cover other strains.

Bexsero is approved for use in kids 2 months to 17 years but only currently OHIP covered for kids if they fall into 5 very specific categories.

I guess my little one will only need 2 shots. From looking at the info 2 shots are required if the child is 12 months to 17 (3 required for 6 to 11 month olds and 4 doses if starting the vaccine before 6 months)

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/prog ... _qa_en.pdf
Never say never
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24395 upvotes
Center of Universe
sillysimms wrote: Regarding the OHIP covered vaccine, are you referring to Bexsero or another vaccine?

I know Bexsero is the only vaccine that is currently available and approved that covers strain B although there are other OHIP covered vaccines that are part of the regular vaccine schedule that cover other strains.

Bexsero is approved for use in kids 2 months to 17 years but only currently OHIP covered for kids if they fall into 5 very specific categories.

I guess my little one will only need 2 shots. From looking at the info 2 shots are required if the child is 12 months to 17 (3 required for 6 to 11 month olds and 4 doses if starting the vaccine before 6 months)

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/prog ... _qa_en.pdf
Honestly, it appears you parents did way more research than us (new parents) and we just followed our kid's Pediatricians recommendation.
It was either wait until 12mth where it was covered by OHIP or pay out of pocket for "early" protection and without hesitation we chose the latter (we are definitely not anti-vaxxers).

Now I'm curious as to what our kid has received in terms of vaccinations and will take a look at the vaccination passport for clarity.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7727 posts
1193 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Honestly, it appears you parents did way more research than us (new parents) and we just followed our kid's Pediatricians recommendation.
It was either wait until 12mth where it was covered by OHIP or pay out of pocket for "early" protection and without hesitation we chose the latter (we are definitely not anti-vaxxers).

Now I'm curious as to what our kid has received in terms of vaccinations and will take a look at the vaccination passport for clarity.
It is good to check. If it was covered, it wouldn't have been Bexsero to cover the B strain unless it was covered by your health plan or your child falls into one of the 5 criteria (and then it would be covered anytime between 2 months and 17 years)

Hopefully this will be covered for all at some point, since B is the most common strain. Until this, there has been nothing to cover this strain.

Edit: I'm actually also curious which one you paid for to get early protection. I haven't heard that mentioned before - just to follow the recommended vaccine schedule, so curious which one that was for.
Never say never
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24395 upvotes
Center of Universe
sillysimms wrote: It is good to check. If it was covered, it wouldn't have been Bexsero to cover the B strain unless it was covered by your health plan or your child falls into one of the 5 criteria (and then it would be covered anytime between 2 months and 17 years)

Hopefully this will be covered for all at some point, since B is the most common strain. Until this, there has been nothing to cover this strain.

Edit: I'm actually also curious which one you paid for to get early protection. I haven't heard that mentioned before - just to follow the recommended vaccine schedule, so curious which one that was for.
I'm glad I came across this thread, as it allowed me to go back and review my kid's immunization records and now know exactly what was administered.
Prior to 2013, MengB vaccine Bexsero was not yet approved, in which the more common MengC was part of the immunization "program" and still is (this is where I confused with MengB, in terms of the ohip covered shot at 12mths).
Somewhat similar to MengB, it is not covered if parents decide to immunize their kids prior to 12mths and is given in 3 doses at min 4weeks apart.
If parents wait until 12mths, it is covered, but only administered as 1 dose and then again as per public health's recommendation.

My kid was born in the summer of 2013, just after Bexsero was approved and we were given the option to either stick to the known MengC shots or to MengB and we decided to go with MengB anyways as we were going for the early shots and had to pay ourselves.
The new MengB is currently not covered at any stage of a kids life and can be covered through a group insurance plan; which was in our case.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1437 posts
565 upvotes
North York
Most good pediatricians and family docs in Canada will follow NACI guidelines for which vaccines to recommend.

National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI)
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/naci-ccni/index-eng.php

When and if your regional Public Health will cover it is highly variable, as cost becomes a major issue.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8760 posts
2392 upvotes
My doctors office had it on the spot. I guess its common for them

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)