Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1522 posts
334 upvotes
Montreal

Beyond Meat BYND - Keep or buy more

Almost two months ago I had started eating an almost vegetarian diet for health reasons. Because of this I started to stake out options at restaurants and fast food places that had no-meat options and encountered the A& W Beyond meat burger which was just awesome.

When I heard they were going to offer an IPO it got me interested and got on my radar and I made a bit for 10 shares on their first day which got cancelled because only US was able to buy shares that day.

I again tried the next day but because the share price had doubled only bought five at 72.00 each.

The shares have gone up in value a fair amount since then and I'm just interested in what others here think this company's possibilities are.

There are many other bigger companies as their competition, but because Beyond Meat did this first, is there any advantage in this.

Is buying more shares attractive even after the shares have shot up so much
Last edited by gogoblender on Aug 26th, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
258 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2065 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
gogoblender wrote: ... I'm just interested in what others here think this company's possibilities are?
penny stock in 36 moths or less.
Jul 6, 2018
590 posts
1007 upvotes
I tried it. It tastes like salted shit. They do have an excellent name though.

In my opinion, the future is lab grown meat, not this.
May 22, 2019
25 posts
11 upvotes
It is over valued right now. Don't buy hype. I feel there will be lots of competition and eventually price will drop.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1423 posts
1098 upvotes
Ottawa
poopooplatter wrote: They do have an excellent name though.
And they are getting taken to court over the use of "meat" in the US and Canada.

Quebec cattle farmers want Beyond Meat to stop marketing itself as plant-based meat
"The Quebec Cattle Producers Federation says the marketing that goes with Beyond Meat’s vegan products is misleading and contravenes Canadian rules. They’re calling on the country’s food inspection agency to intervene."
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario
cloak wrote: And they are getting taken to court over the use of "meat" in the US and Canada.

Quebec cattle farmers want Beyond Meat to stop marketing itself as plant-based meat
"The Quebec Cattle Producers Federation says the marketing that goes with Beyond Meat’s vegan products is misleading and contravenes Canadian rules. They’re calling on the country’s food inspection agency to intervene."
Which is just bullshit. Meat producing farmers are shaking in their boots and resorting to desperate tactics to save themselves like all industries do when they feel threatened. Anyways...

Definition of meat
1a : FOOD
especially : solid food as distinguished from drink
b : the edible part of something as distinguished from its covering (such as a husk or shell)

Not only that but their name is BEYOND meat. I think we all know what beyond means, except maybe those farmers...
poopooplatter wrote: I tried it. It tastes like salted shit. They do have an excellent name though.

In my opinion, the future is lab grown meat, not this.
Something tells me you had a preconceived notion of what it was going to taste like and stuck with it. The vast majority of people enjoy it and can hardly, if at all, tell the difference.

Nothing stopping Beyond Meat from getting into the lab grown meat game either.
Jul 6, 2018
590 posts
1007 upvotes
Copper1212 wrote: Which is just bullshit. Meat producing farmers are shaking in their boots and resorting to desperate tactics to save themselves like all industries do when they feel threatened. Anyways...

Definition of meat
b : the edible part of something as distinguished from its covering (such as a husk or shell)

Not only that but their name is BEYOND meat. I think we all know what beyond means, except maybe those farmers...

Something tells me you had a preconceived notion of what it was going to taste like and stuck with it. The vast majority of people enjoy it and can hardly, if at all, tell the difference.

Nothing stopping Beyond Meat from getting into the lab grown meat game either.
You're probably right. But I'll stick to eating real food.

You can continue eating "Water, Pea Protein Isolate*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Contains 2% or less of the following: Cellulose from Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Yeast, Gum Arabic, Citrus Extract"
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario
poopooplatter wrote: You're probably right. But I'll stick to eating real food.

You can continue eating "Water, Pea Protein Isolate*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Contains 2% or less of the following: Cellulose from Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Yeast, Gum Arabic, Citrus Extract"
Because a beef hamburger is in any way healthy?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1423 posts
1098 upvotes
Ottawa
Copper1212 wrote: Definition of meat

We'll see after the "milk" thing. Plus you left out the very next line of that definition (which gives them a case):

2 : animal tissue considered especially as food:
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario
The 2nd part does not matter because of the first part. It has multiple meanings.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
7394 posts
1920 upvotes
GTA
Copper1212 wrote: Because a beef hamburger is in any way healthy?
If it comes from a good source (organic/grass fed/minimally processed) and/or home made, then yea for sure, it's very healthy. Rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other nutrients.
Jul 6, 2018
590 posts
1007 upvotes
You mean like how humans have been eating for 100,000 years, and how carnivores and omnivores have evolved to eat?

And I don't don't see all that other shit on the Health Canada food guide. (https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/healthy ... ein-foods/) But I do see a balanced diet, with multiple sources for your protein, including animal protein. They also specifically mention to avoid high sodium in beans, peas, etc. Which this artificial garbage has an enormous amount of.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8049 posts
1601 upvotes

Uh? yes? Not sure how its not.

The only way a hamburger is unhealthy is if its low grade genetically modified over processed food, or if you eat large quantities of it.

Have you ever had a fillet mignon cut mixed with prime rib burger? The meat is ground at the restaurant, after you order it.

The rest is just a bread bun, some salad leaves, a slice or two of tomatoes, onion, maybe some non-processed cheese if you wish (like feta, blue, parm etc). I prefer adding a portobello mushroom into the mix.

The amount of protein, vitamins, iron, calories and carbs is quite healthy.

Im guessing you must be referring to the poor person's food type burgers, like McDonalds, where they put chemicals in their food to have a longer shelf life. Thats a whole other issue, and has nothing to do with burgers, as it can be done to any type of genetically modified food.

There's a reason vegans have to resort to pills to make up the deficiencies in their bodies, from avoiding to eat meat or animal protein.

Sure, its bad for you, if you overdose. Just like drinking too much water can kill you, but in a real world scenario, a meat burger is as healthy (or as bad for you) as you choose to make it.

Lets talk about salads. You know whats worse than a beef burger? A caesar salad. lol That doesnt mean all salads are bad for you. Same concept.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1423 posts
1098 upvotes
Ottawa
Copper1212 wrote: The 2nd part does not matter because of the first part. It has multiple meanings.
How convenient
Mar 16, 2018
743 posts
842 upvotes
Hamilton
poopooplatter wrote: .
All of those are perfectly normal ingredients you can find in any grocery store. Pretending they’re toxic chemicals just sounds incredibly ignorant. Hopefully products don’t start listing “H2O” in the ingredients lest you have a toxic chemical panic.

ITT OP asks for advice on a stock purchase and people that eat meat get weirdly butthurt over the existence of a burger made out of pea protein and vegetable oil.

Arguing what kind of greasy burger is good for you is like debating over the healthiest variety of organic heroin. There’s solid evidence that a plant based diet has huge health benefits AND you can also incorporate red meat into a healthy diet in moderation, but arguing over what kind of junk food is best for your health sounds ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1009 upvotes
Saskatoon
I would say ask your dog. If your dog will eat it then you buy more shares.
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19461 posts
3519 upvotes
Toronto
cloak wrote: And they are getting taken to court over the use of "meat" in the US and Canada.

Oh look, Quebec being fascists about language to suppress economic competition again. How surprising.

Hold on to the stock, but make sure you have stop limits in place. It's been strong lately, but it definitely has wild swings up and down. I've made some money buying low, but the stock is trading on pure speculation and will be for quite a while.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1713 posts
721 upvotes
I got two free packages of the Beyond Burger and cooked one up for my family to try. I thought it was crap. I still have another package that I will try out on other family members to see what their opinion is. I went in with an open mind because I had heard it tastes like meat etc. but ultimately I would never pay for the product.
I know this is a discussion about the stock so OP needs to decide if he wants to take the profit and run or play it out long term and see what happens.
I know that other companies are bringing out their own plant based offerings and whatever sales Beyond Meats has will start to erode especially if the other companies have a lower price point. $8 for two burgers is quite premium for something that I don't think tastes very good.
As with any stock. You are a genius if you keep it and it goes to $1000 and you are a fool if the bottom drops and you lose money on it but no one can predict the future.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"