Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

BG/GB/LITB: Mi Box S (International Version) from $69 USD (cashback, FS)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2023 2:01 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
Hey @aasoror funny thing happened the other day on my MiBox with the Viewsonic, where things wouldn't play.

I played Netflix and the new show "Ugly Delicious" and it played back, the whole episode... before, nothing played.
Check DRM app, still showing "not supported"...

Go figure..
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Uberclk wrote: okay maybe not working fine. after i installed the app i went into guide etc and looked okay. tried to watch a program just now, it plays a little then gets a message saying "this content requires HDCP for playback. (1009K)" will have to play around with it later.. i did try another hdmi cable and still same.
Any chance you are running an on FHD TV with an older HDCP 1.0 key that the mibox doesn't like ?

If so .. this should fix your issue:
https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-115242- ... B01CT7THLO
You can verify by running "DRMInfo" (from playstore) on your mibox and see what level of HDCP protection it reports.

Good luck,
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
vodka wrote: Hey @aasoror funny thing happened the other day on my MiBox with the Viewsonic, where things wouldn't play.

I played Netflix and the new show "Ugly Delicious" and it played back, the whole episode... before, nothing played.
Check DRM app, still showing "not supported"...

Go figure..
lol, is that the only episode that works ? or now netflix is working fine ?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
aasoror wrote: lol, is that the only episode that works ? or now netflix is working fine ?
Just the one episode, it's a new series. Totally forgot to try anything else, but before when I was testing I tried many many Netflix shows and now worked...
Aug 24, 2014
145 posts
247 upvotes
West St Paul, MB
im a bit of a noob to these; im basically looking for something that i can stream browser content (basically like using a computer) instead of using specific apps like netflix/crunchyroll/twitch etc

so like i want to be able to use chrome to go their site and then stream videos to the tv; can this thing do that? can i also plug in my k400 media keyboard into the usb slot and have it work instead of using the remote

the extra stuff would be a plus; i have a chromecast + roku but they dont do exactly what i want; eg. i want to be able to go to the youtube website to play the video as opposed to using a youtube app

also with the sale i see going on, is $78 cdn a good price for the mi box from lightinthebox?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
aasoror wrote: Any chance you are running an on FHD TV with an older HDCP 1.0 key that the mibox doesn't like ?

If so .. this should fix your issue:
https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-115242- ... B01CT7THLO
You can verify by running "DRMInfo" (from playstore) on your mibox and see what level of HDCP protection it reports.

Good luck,
hmmm.. i tired with two other TV and even interchanged with where my nvidia shield is plug into and same message. ran the DRMInfo and both HDCP Level and Max HDCP Level unprotected. ran it on the shield and the HDCP-1.x. is this a hardware issue?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Uberclk wrote: hmmm.. i tired with two other TV and even interchanged with where my nvidia shield is plug into and same message. ran the DRMInfo and both HDCP Level and Max HDCP Level unprotected. ran it on the shield and the HDCP-1.x. is this a hardware issue?
It's an issue, not exactly a hardware issue, but it seems that mibox doesn't like some older HDCP keys (pre 1.4) so they fail and the connection is deemed unprotected, some tried different power up sequence or unplug, wait few minutes, replug, to reset the connection per netflix support advice, while it might work for a while, the issue is most likely to return, best way (aside from tossing the TV or the mibox) is to use the converter (I linked above) to mediate between the two (as it has its own HDCP keys) as mibox is known to play nicely with it.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
koolplay wrote: im a bit of a noob to these; im basically looking for something that i can stream browser content (basically like using a computer) instead of using specific apps like netflix/crunchyroll/twitch etc
The extent this will work will depend on the specific service (i.e. netflix) and whether it will allow browser playback once it detects you are running on Android (will usually just send you to playstore to download the app).
so like i want to be able to use chrome to go their site and then stream videos to the tv; can this thing do that?
Yes it can, as long as the site itself allows that.
can i also plug in my k400 media keyboard into the usb slot and have it work instead of using the remote
Yes you can.
i want to be able to go to the youtube website to play the video as opposed to using a youtube app
Last time I checked if you set chrome to "desktop mode" then it will allow for YT to be played back from within the browser
also with the sale i see going on, is $78 cdn a good price for the mi box from lightinthebox?
$59 USD matches the recent WM price drop (without the extra taxes and cross border shipping), this is the least mibox has been (aside from the few rare times where LITB allowed for generic codes to be applied pn top of sale prices and had introductory high cashback rate as well).
Unfortunately LITB just raised the price to $67 but geekbuying still has it at $59 with 4.5% cashback @ befrugal
Jan 29, 2010
381 posts
163 upvotes
Victoria
Uberclk wrote: hmmm.. i tired with two other TV and even interchanged with where my nvidia shield is plug into and same message. ran the DRMInfo and both HDCP Level and Max HDCP Level unprotected. ran it on the shield and the HDCP-1.x. is this a hardware issue?
Well I can say that of late my MiBox has been having major issues with Netflix. I have a brand new TV 4k tv. The only way i can get it to work is to unplug the TV and the MiBox. Then plug in the TV, start it and as soon as it boots i plug in the mibox. After that DRMInfo says HDCP 2.2 and it works again with no errors. If i switch to another input even briefly I get the Netflix error. There is lot's of this reported error online. Some people say it's the TV error but it's just too much a coincidence to think that. I may be looking for the Shield soon enough. I can't imagine unplugging them both each time i want to watch Netflix.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Northguy wrote: Well I can say that of late my MiBox has been having major issues with Netflix. I have a brand new TV 4k tv. The only way i can get it to work is to unplug the TV and the MiBox. Then plug in the TV, start it and as soon as it boots i plug in the mibox. After that DRMInfo says HDCP 2.2 and it works again with no errors. If i switch to another input even briefly I get the Netflix error. There is lot's of this reported error online. Some people say it's the TV error but it's just too much a coincidence to think that. I may be looking for the Shield soon enough. I can't imagine unplugging them both each time i want to watch Netflix.
Consider the HDCP converter from amazon ($40) before shelling out $230 for a shield if thats your only issue with your mibox. It breaks the link and maintains two separate HDCP chains.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
aasoror wrote: It's an issue, not exactly a hardware issue, but it seems that mibox doesn't like some older HDCP keys (pre 1.4) so they fail and the connection is deemed unprotected, some tried different power up sequence or unplug, wait few minutes, replug, to reset the connection per netflix support advice, while it might work for a while, the issue is most likely to return, best way (aside from tossing the TV or the mibox) is to use the converter (I linked above) to mediate between the two (as it has its own HDCP keys) as mibox is known to play nicely with it.
so the HDCP keys are on the TV side, and this is some kind of handshake issue between the mibox and TV? my TVs are older non-4K and i never update any firmware so maybe the keys are outdated?

it's okay for now as adding the Bell app was unexpected anyways. i already have a AppleTV as a second receiver to run the Bell app, and now my shield works as well so i'm ahead.. but now that i encountered the issue, so would like to understand more of it and see where it goes from here.

aside from that, i do enjoy the mibox since i got a while ago.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Uberclk wrote: so the HDCP keys are on the TV side, and this is some kind of handshake issue between the mibox and TV? my TVs are older non-4K and i never update any firmware so maybe the keys are outdated?
HDCP keys are on both sides (mibox and TV), keys are burnt at manufacturing time and can only be updated via "unit specific firmware updates" if at all. So while general firmware updates will have no effect on the HDCP keys on your device, it might change how the handshake is implemented, so if there is any available for your displays be sure to make use of it.
2.2 keys are not backward compatible, so mibox (like most UHD devices) is equipped with two keys 2.2 and 1.x. Most of the reports are of older displays with 1.x keys but there are also (though less frequent) reports about 2.2 key display failing to maintain protection on the HDMI chain.
Jun 17, 2003
803 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
I got quite worried about the reports of HDCP handshaking issues, including speculation about older pre 1.4 keys. Just a note that I went ahead and bought a Mi Box and having no issues with a 10+ year old Panasonic Viera.
Jan 29, 2010
381 posts
163 upvotes
Victoria
aasoror wrote: Consider the HDCP converter from amazon ($40) before shelling out $230 for a shield if thats your only issue with your mibox. It breaks the link and maintains two separate HDCP chains.
I bought a HDMI splitter with no luck. I'm looking at the Converter right now as i read this ...lol
Strange that it recognizes it on DRMInfo only after rebooting the TV and MiBox. Then it reads 2.2
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Northguy wrote: I bought a HDMI splitter with no luck. I'm looking at the Converter right now as i read this ...lol
Strange that it recognizes it on DRMInfo only after rebooting the TV and MiBox. Then it reads 2.2
Yeah that conforms with the reports, when the problematic key is 2.2 its usually iffy (chain breaks intermediately and can be re-established with power cycling) but if the issue is with 1.x key it's usually a no go right from the start.

Give the converter a go, being amazon returns are easy case it doesn't work for your setup.

Good luck
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6023 posts
3617 upvotes
Toronto
koolplay wrote: im basically looking for something that i can stream browser content (basically like using a computer) instead of using specific apps like netflix/crunchyroll/twitch etc
I have a Mi box. I have installed chrome. It works except for the one reason I installed it.

The Bell's Crave TV has an Android app. It will not install on an Android TV box! Even if you trick it into installing, it won't work. So I installed Chrome to view CraveTV through the browser. The CraveTV website detects that the browser is running on Android and demands that I use the app instead. Bell/CraveTV has known of these problems for a couple of years and has always claimed that this will be fixed Real Soon Now.

Perhaps there is a way to make chrome lie about my platform and fool CraveTV into working on the Mi box's Chrome. On the other hand, I want FullHD and I don't know how CraveTV manages DRM through the browser interface -- it might break in this case (it doesn't work on Linux).

We use a PC also connected to the TV, running Windows, just to play CraveTV. The Kangaroo is a tiny Atom-based PC. Windows 10 just isn't as slick as Android TV for TV watching. For one thing, it sometimes decides to do updates, without asking, while we're watching TV. The minimal hardware resource mean that the TV watching suffers. At least one update has taken about a day, failed, and required extensive trouble-shooting -- sheesh! The kangaroo lacks CEC, a feature that is a minor but pleasant convenience. This is the only day-to-day use of Windows in our household and I want to be done with Windows.

PS: the Mi box's CEC can turn on our TV, and switch the TV's input to the correct HDMI port. I would like it to be able to turn off the TV too in some convenient way but I don't even know what that would look like -- what simple button press would make sense? Googling leads me to believe that future versions of Android TV for the Mi Box will address this in some way.
Aug 24, 2014
145 posts
247 upvotes
West St Paul, MB
im assuming you should be able to figure out some way to change the user agent on your chrome to a desktop one ? (i dont have any android devices so i cant relate but this is what i would try to do if its possible)
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
koolplay wrote: im assuming you should be able to figure out some way to change the user agent on your chrome to a desktop one ? (i dont have any android devices so i cant relate but this is what i would try to do if its possible)
Yes you can do that but playback will fail if the content is copy protected, I tried it with Amazon prime video website (on PikTV ATV licensed box), if you run it through chrome in regular view (i.e. mobile) it will try to open the stream via the app if installed or ask you to install it, if you request the desktop page it will try to load the stream in the browser but will fail complaining the required DRM module is not found/supported.
Dec 27, 2013
665 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone try the Rogers Anyplace TV android app on this device?

Edit: Or for that matter, know of any Android box that Anyplace has worked on? Works on my Galaxy S8 but won't let me cast it.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Pbc100 wrote: Anyone try the Rogers Anyplace TV android app on this device?

Edit: Or for that matter, know of any Android box that Anyplace has worked on? Works on my Galaxy S8 but won't let me cast it.
It seems to "force close" on "Android TV" devices, should work on phones (and "Android phone OS" tv boxes) but chances are wont stream in HD (if at all) from unlicensed boxes over HDMI.

With that said, BELL was exactly in the same position (with non-ATV compatible Android phone OS app) they just released an ATV compatible app few days ago, so won't be long before Rogers follow suit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)