Expired Hot Deals

[B&H Photo Video] B&H Photo Video 8th Gen Nuc i5 barebones BKNUC8V5PNK $435 duties and taxes included to ON

[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1671 posts
496 upvotes
Ottawa

[B&H Photo Video] B&H Photo Video 8th Gen Nuc i5 barebones BKNUC8V5PNK $435 duties and taxes included to ON

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
40%
Retailer:
B&H Photo Video
More offers from B&H Photo Video
So in looking at tiny form factor systems to drop 64GB of DDR4 SO-DIMMS into I was looking at everything from the Amazon NUC deals to the HP Minis, Dell Micros and Lenovo Tinys. Unfortunately if you want something vPro capable for those systems you're buying something used that is affordable or finding a random eBay auction if you're lucky. Was looking for something I could run headless and also remote into in case the OS took a dump and I couldn't physically get to the box.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... v_nuc.html

It seems that Intel only carries a handful of SKU's that include vPro connectivity (for business use).

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... l-nuc.html

Average price from Canadian sources for this model are in around the $600 CAD range (B&H currently has this for $299 USD). I'm waiting for my order to be processed to see what the duties and taxes are but I can't imagine it'll be over $200 CAD. Compared to the other NUC that has recently been discussed this is not as powerful looking at benchmarks as the clock speeds are lower. But since this is for a home lab it ticks all of the boxes I'm interested in (relatively low power, KVM capability). Will update once I get the customs and taxes confirmed from B&H.

Update:

As a fellow RFDer posted the additional item was preventing taxes and duties to be calculated which for ON is $40 USD. This brings the total to $339 USD or approximately $435 CAD (your CC charge may vary)
Last edited by surrealillusion on Dec 9th, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
2846 posts
235 upvotes
GVR
surrealillusion wrote: Will update once I get the customs and taxes confirmed from B&H
Which shipping method did you pick?

I noticed that there have an option where duties and taxes are included in the total and paid on your behalf, but even though when I selected that option, it shows nil charge. Were you able to get it to show a different amount?
My Heatware - My Heatware
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1671 posts
496 upvotes
Ottawa
coolman217 wrote: Which shipping method did you pick?

I noticed that there have an option where duties and taxes are included in the total and paid on your behalf, but even though when I selected that option, it shows nil charge. Were you able to get it to show a different amount?
As I mentioned I did select the option for it to calculate the duties and taxes up front but it did show $0 in cart. I opened up a ticket with their customer service to get that sorted out. I'll update the thread once I have it confirmed with them.
Aug 9, 2006
207 posts
21 upvotes
coolman217 wrote:
Which shipping method did you pick?

surrealillusion wrote: As I mentioned I did select the option for it to calculate the duties and taxes up front but it did show $0 in cart. I opened up a ticket with their customer service to get that sorted out. I'll update the thread once I have it confirmed with them.
I have found that their website won't calculate duties/taxes/brokerage if there is a virtual or electronically delivered item in the cart, such as the free Bitdefender download included with this item. By removing this item (change cart quantity to 0), the duties/tax will then calculate properly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1671 posts
496 upvotes
Ottawa
nick98 wrote: I have found that their website won't calculate duties/taxes/brokerage if there is a virtual or electronically delivered item in the cart, such as the free Bitdefender download included with this item. By removing this item (change cart quantity to 0), the duties/tax will then calculate properly.
Thanks for finding this I’ll update the original post
May 28, 2016
77 posts
32 upvotes
What’s the use case for headless NUC and 64gb ram?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1671 posts
496 upvotes
Ottawa
whywhyrfd wrote: What’s the use case for headless NUC and 64gb ram?
In my case I'll use it has a homelab to run various VM's. You can definitely do this with the model from Amazon (get the tall version which will get you 1xSATA on top of 1xnvme for storage). If you work in IT having a system you can spin up OSes or build out small environments for microservices is handy. Not to mention this will probably draw less power than my Ryzen 7 2700 system for simple tasks.

Someone took the time to plot out a performance plot chart here:

https://www.virten.net/2020/08/which-in ... gust-2020/

This unit falls in the middle of the pack performance-wise so definitely not worth the $600+ price tag when you can get the Amazon i5 tall version for ~$430 currently. This will replace an old dinosaur i7-3770 precision workstation with only 16GB of RAM.