[B&H Photo Video] [B&H] Sony MDR-7506 Headphones 90USD +FS - rare 10% discount

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
10% off
Retailer:
B&H Photo Video
More offers from B&H Photo Video
Looked for a sale on these all weekend. Nobody beat 100USD/ 130CAD. This beats that by 10%. I guess pro gear like this doesn't have the same margins for sales as consumer stuff.

If the price shows 99, try adding to cart

Compare pricing and and reviews
Amazon (currently third party $159): https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000AJIF4E
Camel x3 (all time low $120CAD): https://ca.***************.com/product/B000AJIF4E
Henrys (Alternative, 130CAD +FS, temp OOS): https://www.henrys.com/29132-SONY-MDR75 ... HONES.aspx

My order confirmation - sent to Ontario
Subtotal $89.99
Shipping $0.00 (website says FS to Canada over $99, but this worked anyway. must be a glitch)
Duties & Taxes $12.70 (prepaid)
Total $102.69
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3390 posts
404 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
This may be useful for actual audio work, but sound-wise isn't this just the pro version of the MDR-V6's which were all the rage 10 years ago? If the ATH-M50s haven't aged well over the years then I don't think this one would hold up well in the face of more recent offerings.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2777 posts
1757 upvotes
GVRD
I have this headphone and it is a great "monitor" headphone for production use because it's realistic. I think many people who are buying it for listening would be disappointed. No matter what, this is still far away from the Sony CD900ST, it is the true legacy.

I picked this guy long time ago for USD $70, I am shocked to see they appreciated.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2314 posts
1851 upvotes
Ottawa
loserga wrote: This may be useful for actual audio work, but sound-wise isn't this just the pro version of the MDR-V6's which were all the rage 10 years ago? If the ATH-M50s haven't aged well over the years then I don't think this one would hold up well in the face of more recent offerings.
Yes, they're pretty much the updated MDR-V6. I still have my pair of MDR-V6 and while I don't use them as often anymore they still are great and totally worth the money. I still prefer the sound from these over my XM3 (I know, corded vs BT... but still), but I pick up my XM3 more often because of convenience.
Nov 29, 2011
887 posts
1033 upvotes
thanks OP. i think i picked up a pair last time i was in NYC for 90 at B&H. if you've never been to the physical store, you gotta go! it's a trip
Feb 17, 2019
43 posts
194 upvotes
Montreal
loserga wrote: If the ATH-M50s haven't aged well over the years then I don't think this one would hold up well in the face of more recent offerings.
I 've had some ATH M50 for a few years now.. they seem to be holding up fine. Replaced the ear pads once. Are they reputed to break down or something?
If you have to ask if I'm being sarcastic, I am.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3390 posts
404 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
dangerdogg911 wrote: I 've had some ATH M50 for a few years now.. they seem to be holding up fine. Replaced the ear pads once. Are they reputed to break down or something?
No the build quality isn't the problem. Sound-wise it's just not as capable compared to newer generation headphones which have since dropped below it in price (while the M50x continues to retail for upwards of $150).
[OP]
Dec 22, 2014
146 posts
121 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
loserga wrote: No the build quality isn't the problem. Sound-wise it's just not as capable compared to newer generation headphones which have since dropped below it in price (while the M50x continues to retail for upwards of $150).
Curious, what makes a next generation headphone next gen? Dropping in price? Do you have an example in mind? TIA
Oct 13, 2005
202 posts
82 upvotes
I have a set of 7506's sitting next to me on my desk as I type this. I bought these in film school in the 90's (!) and they're still going strong. Perfect phones for a field recording kit. Cheap(ish) and durable with uncoloured sound.

Only maintenance has been to replace the pads on them - which started flaking. Got some lambskin upgrades. Well worth the money.

If you need a set of workhorse cans, don't hesitate to pick these up.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3390 posts
404 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Joelm72 wrote: Curious, what makes a next generation headphone next gen? Dropping in price? Do you have an example in mind? TIA
This is one reference table.

I don't own the M50/x, but had the chance to try it out a while back. Subjectively they're not for me - for a long time they'd been the $100-200 headphone to get, but I felt quite disappointed after hearing all the hype.

There's nothing specifically next generation about more recent offerings, but more manufacturers have been able to offer more technically-capable headphones at the same or lower price points since the M50 launched. I would say though that there have been incremental refinements of sound in popular headphones to the point where today's listeners would find the M50 and its derivatives to be a little rough.