Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
B&H Photo Video

Google Pixel 2 XL 64GB Smartphone (Unlocked), US$130

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2021 4:10 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1726 posts
723 upvotes
Insane phone at this price

I still use it from the first day of release and its still fast and doesn't lag.. definitely a good buy for anyone looking for a dated flagship but still preforms better than most mid tier phones nowadays.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
jiffylube1024 wrote: Old phone, but if this is new it's a solid deal. Great phone with solid battery life.

Apparently it hasn't gotten security updates since last fall, though, a potential security issue:
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/a ... 7705?hl=en
Last software update was December 2020.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-p ... available/

"The final software update for the devices introduces the December 2020 security patches, which were released at the beginning of this week as part of a broader Pixel Feature Drop update. That update included several new features and was made available for Google devices dating back to the Pixel 3."
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7813 posts
852 upvotes
Vancouver
candle11 wrote: Does it come with unlimited Google Photos storage?
Don't believe so they removed that, but looks like another poster said reduced file compression and that makes sense as I remember getting the email as I had unlimited
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
candle11 wrote: Does it come with unlimited Google Photos storage?
Cisco KId wrote: Don't believe so they removed that, but looks like another poster said reduced file compression and that makes sense as I remember getting the email as I had unlimited
Google’s second generation of Pixel brought the promise of unlimited original quality backup, but unlike its prequel, that perk came with a time limit. In January 2021, original quality backups for the Pixel 2 series ended.
Going forward, though, the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will retain unlimited “Storage Saver” backups. That’ll compress pictures, but the storage will be unlimited until the phone dies.

from https://9to5google.com/2021/05/25/googl ... pixel-2-xl
Destiny is all
Sep 10, 2018
659 posts
1910 upvotes
Do I care?
So nothing wrong with screen? Will not burn in quickly?

I would hate to buy a new phone, only to have visible nav bar burn in.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Been using my P2XL since launch. It's still an excellent phone.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
LULUMON wrote: So nothing wrong with screen? Will not burn in quickly?

I would hate to buy a new phone, only to have visible nav bar burn in.
Documented screen burn-in issues

Google extended Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL warranty period to 2 years due the screen defects
https://www.androidauthority.com/google ... ty-810519/
https://www.androidcentral.com/google-e ... pixel-2-xl

"All Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL phones sold in the US and Canada come with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty to cover device malfunctions that occur through no fault of the owner."
https://support.google.com/store/answer ... 8?hl=en-CA

Understand & help protect your Pixel screen
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/a ... 8915?hl=en
Destiny is all
Dec 3, 2019
277 posts
550 upvotes
I got the 128 GB version a couple weeks ago during the last sale. I've had no burning issues. I replace the Galaxy a51 it was actually nice to go back to the wider screen.

Impressive phone with good voice calling and decent screen.

Well worth the money
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1295 posts
2041 upvotes
Terrebonne
Soulfly3 wrote: nearly all items entering canada are taxable to one degree or another, and are taxable if they will generate $2.50+ in revenue.

that being said, it is completely not feasible to do so, and the general "rule of thumb" is they usually won't tax item, via land crossing, unless it's 100-150$.

duties are on items made outside of the nafta zone.

(I worked with cbsa for years)
Wait, so if I go down to the US and buy, say, a TV. All I got to pay when I get back is Canadian taxes? Does it vary per province depending where you cross? And are the taxes calculated on the US price paid?

Thanks
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
KarlDag wrote: Wait, so if I go down to the US and buy, say, a TV. All I got to pay when I get back is Canadian taxes? Does it vary per province depending where you cross? And are the taxes calculated on the US price paid?

Thanks
Only if the TV was assembled in Mexico (more likely), in the US (unlikely) or in Canada (not likely at all). Taxes are calculated on the value in CAD.
Last edited by Temporel on Jul 21st, 2021 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
DaveB596 wrote: I got the 128 GB version a couple weeks ago during the last sale. I've had no burning issues. I replace the Galaxy a51 it was actually nice to go back to the wider screen.

Impressive phone with good voice calling and decent screen.

Well worth the money
how about security updates? this thing is ancient
Mar 10, 2006
301 posts
292 upvotes
Calgary
I would say that there was only 1 better phone at this price, and that was when they sold the pixel3xl for a little bit more in june.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4044 posts
8902 upvotes
Vancouver
benji82 wrote: shouldn't have to pay duties on this as it's under $150
100% wrong

The limit is under $20. ANYTHING more and you are subject to taxes/duties. The fact that you may not get them on every package means nothing.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/post ... x-eng.html

The fact that they mostly won't bother with item values less than $RANDOM_AMOUNT does NOT mean that's the law, when you physically cross the border with such items.
Apr 3, 2021
4 posts
2 upvotes
fwiw Ive owned this phone since it was released and have loved it, after support ended in Dec 2020 I bought my first iphone and I still use my pixel 2XL more than the iphone via wifi tether (sim is in iphone). Spec wise it doesnt match the iphone, and not just iOS vs android differences, but the P2 feels just as snappy.
But, to be completely transparent, only recently (last few weeks) ive noticed the power button double clicks and launches the camera on occasion. Same thing happened with the nexus 5 and there was an easy fix for that, so my P2 may just be pretty worn, but overall I wasn't impressed with the P3, P4 or P5 when deciding on what to upgrade to, so thats why I went Apple (having only used google devices since the nexus one).

Of course since support has stopped since Dec 2020, I dont think it would be a good idea to pick this up as a daily driver, but as a car phone for being a jukebox it works great.
Also, wow.. iOS sucks. I dont regret my decision to get an iphone but Ive been underwhelmed since setting it up when comparing the price to the P2XL. I picked up the iphone 12 pro and the P2XL still has a bigger screen.. I regret not getting the iphone 12 pro max. /derail
Dec 6, 2008
809 posts
619 upvotes
danascully wrote: 100% wrong

The limit is under $20. ANYTHING more and you are subject to taxes/duties. The fact that you may not get them on every package means nothing.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/post ... x-eng.html

The fact that they mostly won't bother with item values less than $RANDOM_AMOUNT does NOT mean that's the law, when you physically cross the border with such items.
nobody:

danascully: YOU NEED TO PAY TAXES AND DUTY ON EVERYTHING SINGLE THING EVER

Face With Tears Of Joy Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
benji82 wrote: nobody:

danascully: YOU NEED TO PAY TAXES AND DUTY ON EVERYTHING SINGLE THING EVER

Face With Tears Of Joy Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
That's not what he wrote. He referenced the LAW and then there's daily operations at CBSA: they don't have time to assess everything and much goes through without duty. If that happens to you, good for you. But don't expect it, and don't post without reference that everything under $150 passes the border duty free. Bad dog,Benji! Face With Tears Of Joy
Dec 6, 2008
809 posts
619 upvotes
Temporel wrote: That's not what he wrote. He referenced the LAW and then there's daily operations at CBSA: they don't have time to assess everything and much goes through without duty. If that happens to you, good for you. But don't expect it, and don't post without reference that everything under $150 passes the border duty free. Bad dog,Benji! Face With Tears Of Joy
lol none of you know how to read apparently… my first post i said nothing about taxes only duty.

and yeah… you, danascully and the nafta guy need to get with it, it’s 2021… nafta hasn’t been a thing since last year and under USMCA anything sent through a private courier under $150 = no duty and if it’s under $40 (NOT $20)there’s no tax sales tax.

also, guys… FYI the Queen Charlotte Islands are now called the Haida Gwaii and the Canadian anthem is now gender neutral.

reading comprehension… does b&h have any of that on sale?
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
benji82 wrote: (...) under USMCA anything sent through a private courier under $150 = no duty and if it’s under $40 (NOT $20)there’s no tax sales tax. (...)
Unless you can reference that, I'm afraid I'm going to have to take you behind the shed and put you down, Benji. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)