Hot Deals

[B&H Photo Video] Google Pixel 3 XL - $299.99 USD ($440 CAD)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2021 10:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4783 posts
2171 upvotes

[B&H Photo Video] Google Pixel 3 XL - $299.99 USD ($440 CAD)

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
B&H Photo Video
More offers from B&H Photo Video
Brand new and limited stock. Will have 1 year Google warranty on it.

Pretty good price for an older phone from late 2018. $300 USD with provincial taxes/duties

Still has a great camera and of course comes with the timely Google updates.

Currently on Android 11 and expected to get Android 12 later this year.

Only downside is that bathtub notch, but there are ways to hide that.

Also has 2 front facing speakers, especially nice for gaming.
Last edited by trinxified on Jan 21st, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
43 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4425 posts
1325 upvotes
Pity it only has 64GB space, and has no SD expansion. Forget about capturing much 4k video.
signature closed for renovation
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4783 posts
2171 upvotes
Usually until end of year like the previous Pixels before it, but yeah.

Main sell here is the camera and software experience. Not much different from the current Pixel gen.

In fact it's considered better than the Pixel 4 of 2019 due to battery life and silly Soli feature.
Jul 8, 2013
166 posts
145 upvotes
AMHERST
Worth noting the 3 XL already supports LineageOS
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4783 posts
2171 upvotes
chrissssss wrote: that notch tho Face With Tears Of Joy
Yeah lol. I had this phone for months and first thing I did was hide it. I upgraded since then and gave it to my parents.

I also had the smaller Pixel 3, which had no notch but battery life on that wasn't great.

Older Pixel phones are great to give to non-enthusiast users because it's easy to use software and camera quality. Barring hardware issues, these phones just work for anyone.
Sep 3, 2009
714 posts
401 upvotes
Calgary
I don't know much about new phones, what's the advantage of buying this than say Samsung A71 which costs similarly in Canada?
Nov 16, 2018
20 posts
22 upvotes
I have this phone and really don't think it's still worth 377 canadian dollars with less than a year of updates left.
Jul 10, 2017
50 posts
104 upvotes
Any recommendations for a phone in that price range with a similarly capable camera?
The wisdom seems to be that the Pixels are where its at in terms of the camera setup, so I've been looking at a 4a for $470, the 3XL is somewhat tempting...
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3387 posts
721 upvotes
Toronto
JayFleming wrote: Any recommendations for a phone in that price range with a similarly capable camera?
The wisdom seems to be that the Pixels are where its at in terms of the camera setup, so I've been looking at a 4a for $470, the 3XL is somewhat tempting...
Yea I am currently using the pixel 3xl and had it since launch. Hands down I take one of the best pictures amongst my group of friends, the only ones comparable are iPhone 11 and up plus the newer flagships.

As far as I am concerned the cost to picture ratio is best with the 3 xl but the updates are going to stop this year so it depends what you are looking for.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4783 posts
2171 upvotes
JayFleming wrote: Any recommendations for a phone in that price range with a similarly capable camera?
Pixel 4a has headphone jack and longer software support. Those are the biggest things it has over the 3 XL.

IP68 rating and 1440p resolution is what you get though with the 3 XL. Oh and wide angle selfie cam. Even the Pixel 5 doesn't have this.

The rest are minor differences in my opinion. With taxes in, it's at least $80 cheaper to get the 3 XL.
Last edited by trinxified on Jan 21st, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4783 posts
2171 upvotes
zywan0124 wrote: I don't know much about new phones, what's the advantage of buying this than say Samsung A71 which costs similarly in Canada?
A71 will get more security updates but overall specs are worse, including the camera. Perhaps the overall physical cosmetic/aesthetic look is better on the A71 since it's more modern style.

Software experience is personal preference, but generally people like Pixels over anything else for Android OS.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4783 posts
2171 upvotes
okano wrote: not worth the price with this spec
Worth it if you include camera quality and not just look at numbers.

BTW this is the last Pixel phone that has unlimited original size picture backups until next year on Google drive.
Last edited by trinxified on Jan 21st, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1832 posts
738 upvotes
Calgary
I had the 3 and the 3XL.
The 3XL was an easier to sell when I was ready to part with it.

The wide angle selfie cam has taken the MOST memorable shots of my wife and I.
Those are priceless.

I really miss it on the 5.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1327 posts
944 upvotes
Pickering
It's one of my favorite phones, but even at brand new, I wouldn't spend this much dough on something close to the end of its life cycle. It's not that far off from a used Pixel 4 XL, either. The single shooter main camera yields horrid portrait shots, too, so I'd say The Pixel 4 XL and up benefit from the extra lens, there. But, what it does have is a unique design, and better selfie camera than all of the other Pixel phones out there. I've had the 2, 3, 4, and 5 now, and I don't know why they lowered the aperture on the selfie camera, after the 3.
CTC employee

Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8247 posts
661 upvotes
Scarborough
Pixel 3/ 3XL swollen battery

Do not buy it.

I had my out of warranty Pixel 3 replaced by Google last week. Now I have a new refurbished phone which is good until my next upgrade, Pixel 6.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1388 posts
1528 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Menace wrote: Pixel 3/ 3XL swollen battery

Do not buy it.

I had my out of warranty Pixel 3 replaced by Google last week. Now I have a new refurbished phone which is good until my next upgrade, Pixel 6.

All phones are prone to this. It's not a unique to the P3. I have my 3XL from 3 years ago and it's fine. Battery life is still great and I can get through the day of heavy use with more than 20% left.

That said, I will probably be getting the Pixel 6 later this year since I want to be able the keep my security updates. One thing to note: the latest Pixel 5 has a mid range SoC which is equal to the P3 so it would be best to avoid that. Rumor is that Google is going to roll out their own SoC this year so hopefully they can provide longer OS updates and keep the price down

Also worth noting that the Pixel 3 will have 1 more year of free unlimited backup of original resolution photos/videos. After this year it will drop down to free unlimited compressed backup which is still good since google no longer offers free photo storage for the general public (this won't be offered with Pixels either)
Last edited by goozy1 on Jan 21st, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.