Hot Deals

[B&H Photo Video] Thinkware U1000 2ch Wi-Fi Dashcam with 32GB microSD card - $399 USD + Free Shipping + $57 Duties & Taxes

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2006
5229 posts
468 upvotes

[B&H Photo Video] Thinkware U1000 2ch Wi-Fi Dashcam with 32GB microSD card - $399 USD + Free Shipping + $57 Duties & Taxes

Deal Link:
Price:
399.99 US
Savings:
100 US
Expiry:
June 30, 2021
Retailer:
B&H Photo Video
More offers from B&H Photo Video
Due to a recent hit and run door ding, I was in the market for a dash cam and thanks to the other BB Thinkware thread I started doing some research. This is Thinkware’s flagship which, according to various reviews, does not suffer from any overheating issues which the BlackVue’s do.

The only gripes from my research are:

- It’s cloud capabilities are not as good as BlackVue
- Parking notifications can be annoying and either you mute all notifications or have to endure all of them.

Considering the exchange rate, total with hard wiring harness (additional $29 USD) and duties/taxes, this is considerably cheaper than buying it local ($649 CAD before taxes and without hardwiring harness).

My total was (ON): $587 CAD

**Do not select DHL Express as your carrier. Your package will be stuck at their Ohio Hub due to an ongoing backlog**
Last edited by TypeVR6 on Jun 7th, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
28 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3543 posts
1641 upvotes
Ottawa
You compared this to the blackvue 900 2 channel? I wasn't aware of a overheating issue. Just getting it installed this week.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2006
5229 posts
468 upvotes
shylok wrote: You compared this to the blackvue 900 2 channel? I wasn't aware of a overheating issue. Just getting it installed this week.
Unfortunately, if you google BlackVue 900 overheating, you'll find a bunch of threads/posts on the matter. I'd rather not take the chance and went with U1000.
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3543 posts
1641 upvotes
Ottawa
Installer says no problems with the new series launched this year. The x.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2006
5229 posts
468 upvotes
shylok wrote: Installer says no problems with the new series launched this year. The x.
The X released last Sept/Oct. Considering this is its first summer, I opted not to take a chance go for the X.
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 18, 2010
1687 posts
793 upvotes
Montreal
This is a good price for a very good dashcam and from a company who has been putting out very reliable products as of late. Looks like it was very briefly 530$, and 550$+tx+hardwire kit during the holidays.

I've been waiting for the Thinkware Blade that is supposed to have Head Unit integration with BMWs (maybe others I'm not sure), but it keeps getting delayed, they say Aug-Sep last time I asked in march. It's hard to decide
Jr. Member
Jul 8, 2013
199 posts
202 upvotes
AMHERST
While looking for dashcams, I’ve recently stumbled across the “360” cameras coming out of asia. The “tesla-sized” screen, head unit (with amp), and handful of cameras comes in as low as $350 with free shipping. Seemingly includes all the expected features: backup cam, collision record, parking sentry, etc, and also a view of your car from above as well as a few 3rd person views where the car is a 3d model and the camera feeds are perspective-corrected.

Definitely got my attention.
Jr. Member
Jul 8, 2013
199 posts
202 upvotes
AMHERST
I will say though, I’ve *very* surprised we don’t do a camera at front-left, front-right, back left, and back right. Then you could peek out of a blind corner and see cars coming without a chance of getting hit.
Newbie
May 30, 2021
3 posts
1 upvote
$460 for a dash cam is ridiculous money well wasted.
Member
Mar 3, 2015
456 posts
538 upvotes
King City
I got this at regular price a couple years back and its well worth the price!
Jr. Member
Sep 5, 2018
138 posts
95 upvotes
TheSheldor wrote: I got this at regular price a couple years back and its well worth the price!
I am sorry for my ignorance. Is it necessary to spend almost 600 CAD for a dash cam? Do you drive a Bently?
Jr. Member
Dec 28, 2019
108 posts
44 upvotes
st901202 wrote: I am sorry for my ignorance. Is it necessary to spend almost 600 CAD for a dash cam? Do you drive a Bently?
I spent a little more almost $800 when the blackvue 900 came out. I don't drive a Bentley, but I can tell you one thing... It only takes one incident to spend much more than that.

I used to lease a car, and you would not believe how many times I was hit in the parking lot while parked (let alone while driving). Every time the insurance had $1500 in deductible so that was something I paid. Funny enough, since I installed the camera, not even 1 incident.

These cameras perform very well at night, which some people may or may not need. The ability to have parking mode, and hardwired connection is a HUGE plus.
Jr. Member
Sep 5, 2018
138 posts
95 upvotes
wizztex wrote: I spent a little more almost $800 when the blackvue 900 came out. I don't drive a Bentley, but I can tell you one thing... It only takes one incident to spend much more than that.

I used to lease a car, and you would not believe how many times I was hit in the parking lot while parked (let alone while driving). Every time the insurance had $1500 in deductible so that was something I paid. Funny enough, since I installed the camera, not even 1 incident.

These cameras perform very well at night, which some people may or may not need. The ability to have parking mode, and hardwired connection is a HUGE plus.
Thanks for the enlightenment. But it still seems a little bit excessive for the reasons below:

1. Your insurance will still go up even if you are not at fault after first, second or even third incidents.
2. You would still have to fight with your insurance company who is at fault in a car accident. Or for that matters in a parking lot.
3. Even if you find out who hit your car in a parking lot, I do not think it would matter with the insurance company as they would not able to chase after a plate number or a video footage.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am debating if I should purchase a dash cam similar to this.

Thanks,
Jr. Member
Dec 28, 2019
108 posts
44 upvotes
st901202 wrote: Thanks for the enlightenment. But it still seems a little bit excessive for the reasons below:

1. Your insurance will still go up even if you are not at fault after first, second or even third incidents.
2. You would still have to fight with your insurance company who is at fault in a car accident. Or for that matters in a parking lot.
3. Even if you find out who hit your car in a parking lot, I do not think it would matter with the insurance company as they would not able to chase after a plate number or a video footage.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am debating if I should purchase a dash cam similar to this.

Thanks,
Not sure where you heard any of this!
1) Your insurance will not go up if you are not at fault. Even after 3 incidents. When you sign up for insurance they ask you how many at fault accidents.
2) If you have video evidence there is nothing really to fight over, my gf was in an accident and the agent wished she had a dashcam due to the other person clearly doing insurance fraud.
3) Not only is the insurance able to chase after them with a video and a plate, but when you file a police report they literally will go to the persons house and charge them with hit and run. The owner of the vehicle will be responsible unless the driver admits it was him/her.

I haven't had any increase from insurance, and truly trust me when I tell you I had a sh*t storm of incidents (before covid).

So to summarize, 100% worth every single penny. Also, make sure you purchase a proper memory card for it.

Correction, I pre-ordered the DR900S for 619.99 plus taxes on Apr 7, 2018 (and it is still running fine):
Image
Member
Mar 3, 2015
456 posts
538 upvotes
King City
st901202 wrote: I am sorry for my ignorance. Is it necessary to spend almost 600 CAD for a dash cam? Do you drive a Bently?
No it's not necessary. But let me ask you this. Hypothetically, if I owned a Bentley, is the Bentley necessary when a Toyota would do the same job?

I don't mind paying $600 USD for a dash cam with more features. I don't splurge or indulge in excess but I do enjoy nice things as do most people I'm sure.

Is it necessary? Definitely not. But for me, $600 is a reasonable price for peace of mind on a $60,000 car. I want it so I'll buy it. If you don't want it, then don't buy it. But for people who do want it, this is a great price 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Member
Aug 10, 2013
470 posts
208 upvotes
Mississauga
st901202 wrote: Thanks for the enlightenment. But it still seems a little bit excessive for the reasons below:

1. Your insurance will still go up even if you are not at fault after first, second or even third incidents.
2. You would still have to fight with your insurance company who is at fault in a car accident. Or for that matters in a parking lot.
3. Even if you find out who hit your car in a parking lot, I do not think it would matter with the insurance company as they would not able to chase after a plate number or a video footage.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am debating if I should purchase a dash cam similar to this.

Thanks,
I agree with you 100%.
Thanks Op anyway!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8516 posts
3216 upvotes
Toronto
shylok wrote: You compared this to the blackvue 900 2 channel? I wasn't aware of a overheating issue. Just getting it installed this week.
I have the Blackvue 2ch installed in my Lexus and Highlander. No issues with heating.

Looking for a new one as my Lexus was stolen and then found but completely stripped of anything that didn't come with the car.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3543 posts
1641 upvotes
Ottawa
Variability wrote: I have the Blackvue 2ch installed in my Lexus and Highlander. No issues with heating.

Looking for a new one as my Lexus was stolen and then found but completely stripped of anything that didn't come with the car.
Alarm w GPS history, Use a key fob blocking item to stop cloning. And a ignition starter block device. Pm me for exact brand names. Being vague on purpose.

If you got a new Lexus. And they stole the old one from your house, they're known to come back because they know you probably got a new one.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8516 posts
3216 upvotes
Toronto
shylok wrote: Alarm w GPS history, Use a key fob blocking item to stop cloning. And a ignition starter block device. Pm me for exact brand names. Being vague on purpose.

If you got a new Lexus. And they stole the old one from your house, they're known to come back because they know you probably got a new one.
I have an RFID box. Cameras on my house. They broke into the car manually at 4am.

Police found my car a week after. It was in the shop almost 2 months. I'd love it if they came back, was gonna get a Tesla X.

Top