Hot Deals

[B&H Photo Video] Thinkware U1000 2ch Wi-Fi Dashcam with 32GB microSD card - $399 USD + Free Shipping + $57 Duties & Taxes

Sep 6, 2019
44 posts
80 upvotes
I heard lots of good things about Thinkware and Blackvue. Dashcams are a must but you can getaway with a dash cam in $100-$200 range and they may have a front and rear camera.
Sep 5, 2018
140 posts
95 upvotes
TheSheldor wrote: No it's not necessary. But let me ask you this. Hypothetically, if I owned a Bentley, is the Bentley necessary when a Toyota would do the same job?

I don't mind paying $600 USD for a dash cam with more features. I don't splurge or indulge in excess but I do enjoy nice things as do most people I'm sure.

Is it necessary? Definitely not. But for me, $600 is a reasonable price for peace of mind on a $60,000 car. I want it so I'll buy it. If you don't want it, then don't buy it. But for people who do want it, this is a great price 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I totally understand people have different lifestyle when they have all the money in the world. But I just need a justification for spending $600 on a luxurious state-of-the-art dash cam or a $200 regular dash cam that has front and back cameras.

I am a practical person. Even if I have the money, I would not waste the money on something that is not necessary.

However, I am also a libertarian. Please spend on whatever you deem necessary.
Sep 5, 2018
140 posts
95 upvotes
wizztex wrote: Not sure where you heard any of this!
1) Your insurance will not go up if you are not at fault. Even after 3 incidents. When you sign up for insurance they ask you how many at fault accidents.
2) If you have video evidence there is nothing really to fight over, my gf was in an accident and the agent wished she had a dashcam due to the other person clearly doing insurance fraud.
3) Not only is the insurance able to chase after them with a video and a plate, but when you file a police report they literally will go to the persons house and charge them with hit and run. The owner of the vehicle will be responsible unless the driver admits it was him/her.

I haven't had any increase from insurance, and truly trust me when I tell you I had a sh*t storm of incidents (before covid).

So to summarize, 100% worth every single penny. Also, make sure you purchase a proper memory card for it.

Correction, I pre-ordered the DR900S for 619.99 plus taxes on Apr 7, 2018 (and it is still running fine):
Interesting, I was told the otherwise from my insurance broker when I was in Quebec. I did not expect there will be any difference between Ontario and Quebec in terms of car insurance.

I have one last question/concern. How about battery drainage concern when it is in parking mode?
Dec 16, 2014
892 posts
478 upvotes
Easter Island
st901202 wrote: I totally understand people have different lifestyle when they have all the money in the world. But I just need a justification for spending $600 on a luxurious state-of-the-art dash cam or a $200 regular dash cam that has front and back cameras.

I am a practical person. Even if I have the money, I would not waste the money on something that is not necessary.

thinkware has one of best parking modes. sub $200 dashcams don't come close. reliability is also huge factor
st901202 wrote: I have one last question/concern. How about battery drainage concern when it is in parking mode?
there's voltage cutoff
Dec 28, 2019
108 posts
44 upvotes
st901202 wrote: Interesting, I was told the otherwise from my insurance broker when I was in Quebec. I did not expect there will be any difference between Ontario and Quebec in terms of car insurance.

I have one last question/concern. How about battery drainage concern when it is in parking mode?
They usually have a safety shutoff at a certain volts, or you can set amount of hours to stay on when parked, or both.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
3235 posts
1189 upvotes
Vancouver
i have the thinkware F770 and i find the 1080p quality isn't good enough to catch a license plate at times or usable to witness any accidents that are further away.

if you're tight on money though. a proper external battery for parking mode is better than buying a very expensive dashcam.
most car batteries won't last long enough for parking recording
Dec 24, 2017
238 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP ! Was waiting to buy one. Pulled the trigger on this. Total was C$542 incl. duty & taxes. Pretty good deal as it's about the same as lowest Amazon.ca ever had !
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1626 posts
448 upvotes
TheSheldor wrote: No it's not necessary. But let me ask you this. Hypothetically, if I owned a Bentley, is the Bentley necessary when a Toyota would do the same job?

I don't mind paying $600 USD for a dash cam with more features. I don't splurge or indulge in excess but I do enjoy nice things as do most people I'm sure.

Is it necessary? Definitely not. But for me, $600 is a reasonable price for peace of mind on a $60,000 car. I want it so I'll buy it. If you don't want it, then don't buy it. But for people who do want it, this is a great price 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Hmm.. It will tempt thieves more with a fancy cam. I think the cam is worth more than anything in the car. Made for quick smash and grab. Definitely not good for a convertable with the top down.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20102 posts
7528 upvotes
Toronto
I think I am going to go with a different company next time around. Thinkware unit I have does a bunch of weird little things.

Recommend another company IMO
st901202 wrote: I totally understand people have different lifestyle when they have all the money in the world. But I just need a justification for spending $600 on a luxurious state-of-the-art dash cam or a $200 regular dash cam that has front and back cameras.

You are paying for image quality and reliability.
I am even suggesting you pay MORE money for something better, because even my Thinkware unit doesn't cut it.

At the end of the day, I guess a cheap camera will just back up what you are saying in an accident. If you want to go beyond that, you need to spend more money.
crazycoward wrote: i have the thinkware F770 and i find the 1080p quality isn't good enough to catch a license plate at times or usable to witness any accidents that are further away.

if you're tight on money though. a proper external battery for parking mode is better than buying a very expensive dashcam.
most car batteries won't last long enough for parking recording
Same experience.
RedFlagDeals Addict