Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
B&H Photo Video

TP-Link Deco M9 Plus AC2200, Mesh Wi-Fi System Tri-band (3-Pack, Refurbished) $129.95 USD + FS

Aug 11, 2021
14 posts
92 upvotes
hunginator wrote: so, to clarify, i can have a 2-port switch plugged into the "OUT" port of the main Deco hub which is connected to my HH4000 in the basement of my two story home. the other two Deco nodes would be connected directly via ethernet into the 2-port switch in my basement. am i getting this straight?

if this is right, then wouldn't it just be better for me to get AP's, i.e. Ubiquiti U6's which would be PoE and directly into the HH4000?
TP-link has description and good diagram for Ethernet backhaul configuration here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2008
1368 posts
457 upvotes
Hello,

I have a 4000 SQF home. 3 Levels. Would this be suitable. Ive had no luck with any routers so far.

I am currently using Archer AX73.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5265 posts
1623 upvotes
SK
hunginator wrote: so, to clarify, i can have a 2-port switch plugged into the "OUT" port of the main Deco hub which is connected to my HH4000 in the basement of my two story home. the other two Deco nodes would be connected directly via ethernet into the 2-port switch in my basement. am i getting this straight?

if this is right, then wouldn't it just be better for me to get AP's, i.e. Ubiquiti U6's which would be PoE and directly into the HH4000?
MightyFungi wrote: TP-link has description and good diagram for Ethernet backhaul configuration here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/
The diagram in the link is what I was verbally trying to get across. Switches can be added to any out port even when using wireless backhaul.
Aug 24, 2006
56 posts
161 upvotes
Scarborough
FYI: they've recently released firmware version 1.6.0 (beta) for the Deco M9 Plus.
The 1.6.0 beta firmware for Deco M9 Plus V2/2.2/2.6/2.8 (V1/1.1/1.2 is NOT suitable) is available for testing now. It supports all the new features on the official 1.6.0 firmware of Deco M5.

More details about New Features/Enhancement:
1. Added Reboot Schedule for every day/week under Deco App > More > Reboot Schedule.
2. Added support for customizing Satellite Deco Signal Source under Deco App > Internet > Select the Satellite Deco > Signal Source.
3. Added support for customizing clients Connection Preference under Deco App > CLIENTS > Select the client > Click the gear icon on the right-up corner > Connection Preference.
4. Added No-IP and DynDNS to the DDNS settings under Deco App > More > Advanced > DDNS.
5. Added Smart DHCP on/off switch in Access Point mode under Deco App > More > Advanced > Smart DHCP.
6. Added a prompt notification when the Ethernet link rate goes down to 100Mbps.
7. Added schedule and bandwidth limit to guest network under Deco App > More > Wi-Fi > Guest Network.

This firmware CAN'T be downgraded to the previous 1.5.6 version.
Source: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/f ... pic/574954
Dec 31, 2012
78 posts
153 upvotes
This is 3 minutes exercise without travel time to basement.

Plug in something on both sides and see if lights come up. You can use old switches, laptops etc.
If more than one cable lights up mark them, go upstairs and unplug. One that does not light up anymore is one you are looking for.

Masernaut wrote: I would like to do this but the previous homeowner didn't label any of the half-dozen Ethernet cables in the basement. Too lazy to figure out which one connects where.
Jul 21, 2020
203 posts
133 upvotes
Noob question:

I called Rogers to move my modem as the location it was in provided a bad connection to the other side of the house (2000sqft home)

A Rogers technician said that there’s too much noise in the cable port so he decided to move the modem to another room.

I’m currently using the white tower with robbers, on their 500u plan.

I’ve been noticing that every time my microwave turns on, my internet stops disconnects/lags. However the room my modem is placed is a better location than before. Microwave is downstairs and modem is upstairs.

The question is will buying this Router mesh system fix that issue? Open to suggestions
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6154 upvotes
viewsfromthe6 wrote: Noob question:

I called Rogers to move my modem as the location it was in provided a bad connection to the other side of the house (2000sqft home)

A Rogers technician said that there’s too much noise in the cable port so he decided to move the modem to another room.

I’ve been noticing that every time my microwave turns on, my internet stops disconnects/lags. However the room my modem is placed is a better location than before. Microwave is downstairs and modem is upstairs.

The question is will buying this Router mesh system fix that issue? Open to suggestions
Yes as long as all of your devices are using 5GHz channel.

Microwaves operate on 2.4Ghz along with most other household appliances.

With that said, if you're planning to get a 1gb+ internet connection soon, I would look for a better mesh setup. I have yet to see anyone hit gigabit speed with this mesh setup.
Jul 21, 2020
203 posts
133 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: Yes as long as all of your devices are using 5GHz channel.

With that said, if you're planning to get a 1gb+ internet connection soon, I would look for a better mesh setup. I have yet to see anyone hit gigabit speed with this mesh setup.
Any that you recommend or stand out to you?
Jul 21, 2020
203 posts
133 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: Yes as long as all of your devices are using 5GHz channel.

Thanks for the reply Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Any that you recommend or stand out to you?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2019
1332 posts
973 upvotes
ichiro wrote: If anyone in Toronto's ordering this and doesn't need one of the pods, I'd gladly take one one at cost. Currently have 3, need one more :)
Check Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace. Last time I was looking there were lots for sale.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6154 upvotes
viewsfromthe6 wrote: Any that you recommend or stand out to you?
Probably the TP-LINK AXE5400 for about $450. it's the most affordable 6e tri-band mesh on the market. Price for performance wise. Other 6e tri-band mesh systems are over $1000. With that said, I have never seen any of the review testers achieve 1GBps wifi speed test with a wireless backhaul using wifi 6 ethernet cards with any of the 6e mesh systems including the netgear orbi and the eero.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1529 posts
2457 upvotes
Hamilton
viewsfromthe6 wrote: Noob question:

I'd seriously consider running ethernet cables or using a MOCA adapter if you have coaxial cable connections throughout the house, otherwise you'll be playing wack-a-mole with new problems that will come up after you throw more money at the problem... like this for example:
AsianXL wrote: Probably the TP-LINK AXE5400 for about $450. it's the most affordable 6e tri-band mesh on the market. Price for performance wise. Other 6e tri-band mesh systems are over $1000. With that said, I have never seen any of the review testers achieve 1GBps wifi speed test with a wireless backhaul using wifi 6 ethernet cards with any of the 6e mesh systems including the netgear orbi and the eero.
If you can't guarantee line-of-sight between the two routers, a wireless 6 GHz mesh system is pretty awful. For tri-band 6E routers, the default backhaul band is 6GHz and if it gets blocked by objects or walls, the whole system gets handicapped. You CAN switch the backhaul band to 5 GHz, but how many clients do you have right now that can now use that virgin 6GHz band you just opened up? I'd wager 0, maybe 1 if you have a Samsung Galaxy S22. Now, if you can get a wired backhaul going with an ethernet cable, then the system works well, but now you have a 6 GHz band that no clients currently support... Most people are currently better off with a boring old Wifi 6 mesh system for this reason if they need one right now, at least until more 6GHz clients hit the market.

I put a 6E card in my desktop because it was the same price as upgrading to a wifi 6 card, but that's currently the only device in my home that can use the band. The speeds are identical between the 5 GHz and 6 GHz bands- the only difference is placing the router to actually USE the 6 GHz band is a pain in the ass!

Edit - Re: 1 Gbps connections, you won't be able to get anywhere near those speeds except for close to the main router because a wireless backhaul is going to bottleneck everything to the satellites, a 500 Mbps connection is actually very close to what most mesh systems can transfer between nodes. Definitely don't spend more money to anticipate a faster connection unless you're willing to lay down ethernet cables or the Rogers modem will be close to your primary internet device!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5265 posts
1623 upvotes
SK
ownthesky wrote: I'd seriously consider running ethernet cables or using a MOCA adapter if you have coaxial cable connections throughout the house, otherwise you'll be playing wack-a-mole with new problems that will come up after you throw more money at the problem... like this for example:

If you can't guarantee line-of-sight between the two routers, a wireless 6 GHz mesh system is pretty awful. For tri-band 6E routers, the default backhaul band is 6GHz and if it gets blocked by objects or walls, the whole system gets handicapped. You CAN switch the backhaul band to 5 GHz, but how many clients do you have right now that can now use that virgin 6GHz band you just opened up? I'd wager 0, maybe 1 if you have a Samsung Galaxy S22. Now, if you can get a wired backhaul going with an ethernet cable, then the system works well, but now you have a 6 GHz band that no clients currently support... Most people are currently better off with a boring old Wifi 6 mesh system for this reason if they need one right now, at least until more 6GHz clients hit the market.

I put a 6E card in my desktop because it was the same price as upgrading to a wifi 6 card, but that's currently the only device in my home that can use the band. The speeds are identical between the 5 GHz and 6 GHz bands- the only difference is placing the router to actually USE the 6 GHz band is a pain in the ass!

Edit - Re: 1 Gbps connections, you won't be able to get anywhere near those speeds except for close to the main router because a wireless backhaul is going to bottleneck everything to the satellites, a 500 Mbps connection is actually very close to what most mesh systems can transfer between nodes. Definitely don't spend more money to anticipate a faster connection unless you're willing to lay down ethernet cables or the Rogers modem will be close to your primary internet device!
Gigabit Power line adapters could be a cheaper option then the MOCA ones.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6154 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: Gigabit Power line adapters could be a cheaper option then the MOCA ones.
In my experience, Powerline adapters are trash compared to MOCA. With MOCA, you can actually reach the stated throughput. Those who have MoCA 2.5, with the right equipment, can easily hit >2.5Gbps.
With Powerline, you can't get anywhere near Gigabit speed because it heavily relies on how your home is wired. Even with the ideal electrical wiring, you can't get gigabit speed.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1529 posts
2457 upvotes
Hamilton
shopper-X wrote: Gigabit Power line adapters could be a cheaper option then the MOCA ones.
There's really no such thing as a Gigabit powerline adapter- the manufacturer's specs are just as wildly dishonest as router manufacturers. I think it's kind of hilarious that the Powerline manufacturers advertise these ridiculous speeds (ex 2 Gbps!) but they all ship with 1 Gbps ethernet ports. The wiring in some homes could deliver speeds in the hundreds of megabits when everything is perfect, but you won't know until you plug it in, whereas coaxial cables are guaranteed to provide excellent performance. I certainly wouldn't recommend Powerline to a guy that is already having issues with the wifi cutting out with a microwave running- now his internet will also go down whenever the fridge compressor turns on!
Nov 25, 2003
726 posts
421 upvotes
qpalzmsk wrote: I have Deco M5 and can vouch for this line of mesh network router :)
Sell your M5's on a used market and upgrade to there, unless you waiting for the Deco AX1800 WiFi 6, which is on sale on Amazon.
Dec 29, 2015
27 posts
24 upvotes
Surrey
waynecarrigan wrote: Sell your M5's on a used market and upgrade to there, unless you waiting for the Deco AX1800 WiFi 6, which is on sale on Amazon.
I'm actually just waiting for a new phone that I want to upgrade to and then I'll upgrade my router to Deco XE75 for that sweet Wifi 6EWinking Face

Thanks for the recommendation tho Slightly Smiling Face
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6154 upvotes
Speaking of MoCA adapters, MoCA 2.5 is coming down in price as MoCA 3.0 is releasing next year. MoCA 3.0 can handle 10Gbps which would be perfect when Bell rolls out their 8.0Gbps internet package. Lol
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1529 posts
2457 upvotes
Hamilton
waynecarrigan wrote: Sell your M5's on a used market and upgrade to there, unless you waiting for the Deco AX1800 WiFi 6, which is on sale on Amazon.
The AX1800 seems like a much worse model if you don’t have an Ethernet back haul.