Hot Deals

B&H Photo Video

TP-Link Deco M9 Plus AC2200, Mesh Wi-Fi System Tri-band (3-Pack, Refurbished) $129.95 USD + FS

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22899 posts
4374 upvotes
Toronto
mockingbird wrote: -2.4Ghz and 5Ghz share the same SSID name - no way around that
You can enable the guest wifi ssid and specify only 2.4ghz for the guest and 5ghz for the main wifi ssid (name them different ssid).

This is what I did, throw all my smart light switches, doorbell etc on the guest ssid and all main devices on the main ssid.

Works flawlessly

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Nov 17, 2003
545 posts
141 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: You can enable the guest wifi ssid and specify only 2.4ghz for the guest and 5ghz for the main wifi ssid (name them different ssid).

This is what I did, throw all my smart light switches, doorbell etc on the guest ssid and all main devices on the main ssid.

Works flawlessly
What's the purpose of doing this?
Jan 3, 2013
635 posts
252 upvotes
Winnipeg
I read the whole thread, in the past previous ones and also did some reading on reddit. I usually have a good handle on this but today I am clueless or just haven't searched enough.

Is it possible to use these in access point / wifi mode only? No routing, no dhcp, no dns etc. Just for wireless?

Reason why I am asking is that I have a Bell 3000 Hub that doesn't support traditional bridge mode. Some suggestions that you can use the DMZ feature to enact bridge mode but questionable and I am not interested.

I have no problem with the Bell 3000 Hub as I disable dhcp on it, and I leave wifi on it for dedicated doorbell. I am currently using a Tp-link 245 access point and Raspberry pi-hole for dhcp services/ad blocking. The pi-hole has to run dhcp services cause the Bell 3000 doesn't allow you to set your own internal DNS on it's dhcp offerings.

What I want to do is remove the TP-link 245 and switch over to this m9 plus. I just want the m9 plus for access points. I want to leave my current raspberry running for the pi-hole dns and dhcp. Is this possible?

Edit:
Nevermind, fixed up my google search and sure enough here you go..

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

Leaving my post in case it helps others. Still would be great to hear from others if they have the same experience.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22899 posts
4374 upvotes
Toronto
Intenze wrote: What's the purpose of doing this?
Just a bit more control on what is on the 2.4ghz vs 5ghz bands.

Mind you, these Tplink M9 plus have band steering and should work well.

I just separated them so also my guests can jump on the 2.4ghz too.

Also I was answering the posters question that you can’t separate out the 2.4ghz vs 5ghz bands so this is a workaround

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4855 posts
1088 upvotes
SK
ji2o0k wrote: You can enable the guest wifi ssid and specify only 2.4ghz for the guest and 5ghz for the main wifi ssid (name them different ssid).

Works flawlessly
Since I have Kasa light switches and plugs, my M9 found them and took them from the Clients list in to the Smart list with on/off toggles. They still appear in the Kasa app and my RPi Homebridge setup. Just cleans up the list views.

The M9 Plus has Bluetooth 4.2 & ZigBee HA 1.2 for smart devices. I’m hoping TP-Link Deco and Kasa join Matter but not holding my breath.
Last edited by shopper-X on May 14th, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1167 posts
805 upvotes
Canada
I am going to swap my Asus CT8 for this, only because I was about to purchase a 3rd unit to complete my home triangle as currently I have 1 in basement and 1 upstairs, nothing on main floor, after selling my CT8 [which is more powerful] ill still come out ahead with Deco M9 Plus since it has 3 units.
Getting a Wyze V3 Indoor / Outdoor Camera? SEE my FAQ Answers❗ ➡ CLICK HERE TO SEE MY POST

Telus: $45/25GB Unlimited Data [Multi Line + $5/24Mnth Disc.]
Freedom: Everywhere $50 18GB+1GB [F&F + Digital Disc.]
Fonus: Unltd CA/US/MEX Data FREE/Month
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16153 posts
3967 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
rugerty100 wrote: How about this Linksys Velop system?

Similar specs, but not sure how it fares in comparison.

Newsletter 10% discount approximately cancels out the price of shipping.
Velop is rock solid as well. I have two 4 node sets across the family, and super satisfied. Barely reboot them.
Last edited by weedb0y on May 14th, 2022 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 22, 2009
472 posts
56 upvotes
So the trend micro works with this? Anyone confirm
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1653 posts
879 upvotes
man wrote: Hi
Which beta software you ate referring any link? I installed 1.5.6 on m9plus but getting around 200 mbps. I am on bell fibe 1gb. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Go into the settings
And look for QOS
Total bandwidth
Last edited by 66xx66 on May 14th, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1653 posts
879 upvotes
tokinup wrote: So the trend micro works with this? Anyone confirm
Yes if you had read few post back. I already confirm
Jan 22, 2009
472 posts
56 upvotes
I guess one negative is that it doesn't have wifi 6? Isn't that a big deal?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2513 posts
2402 upvotes
Toronto
tokinup wrote: I guess one negative is that it doesn't have wifi 6? Isn't that a big deal?
No, at this price point WiFi 6 won't be (much? any?) better. Especially if running wirelessly between nodes (as most of them will be dual band,)

one negative is being tp-link. some may be concerned on how they share traffic data to third parties, and blablabla. something like this https://www.notebookcheck.net/TP-Link-r ... 347.0.html
(subject is a bit of click bait, but still)
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4855 posts
1088 upvotes
SK
tokinup wrote: I guess one negative is that it doesn't have wifi 6? Isn't that a big deal?
Honestly, if data speed matters for a device I make sure it’s wired and not wireless.
I’ll probably buy a Deco Wifi 6 unit (2020 or later) in the future when they become cheaper and make it my main unit still using the M9’s in other places.
Just keep in mind that the 802.11ax standard was finalized in 2019 and first devices shipped 2020.
Dec 10, 2017
79 posts
33 upvotes
Hello Just bought these and awaiting for them to arrive. I am coming from Asus AC86u router as the 2.4ghz keeps failing and losing connections to my devises that rely on 2.4ghz network . I was going to invest in the Asus AX86u but I bought these instead for the mesh network. Has anyone migrated over from an ASUS router did you notice a improvement? did you regret it. One more question can you play around with the settings? or is there a setting I need to change as soon as I set them up? Thanks.
[OP]
Jul 15, 2009
253 posts
614 upvotes
Just need two units. Anyone wants the third one at cost (GTA)?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4855 posts
1088 upvotes
SK
Ramzkh wrote: Hello Just bought these and awaiting for them to arrive. I am coming from Asus AC86u router as the 2.4ghz keeps failing and losing connections to my devises that rely on 2.4ghz network . I was going to invest in the Asus AX86u but I bought these instead for the mesh network. Has anyone migrated over from an ASUS router did you notice a improvement? did you regret it. One more question can you play around with the settings? or is there a setting I need to change as soon as I set them up? Thanks.
I switched from a AC66 to the SmartThings v2 mesh and it was a big improvement going from a single node to a mesh setup. I am on the M9’s now and it been an even bigger improvement.

Are there features of the AC86u you are worried about losing or just the looking for improvement on the 2.4GHz channel? If it’s just the channel, this should solve it being a 3-node mesh with a dedicated wireless backhaul channel (5GHz) if you don’t have wired connections available.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2557 posts
1273 upvotes
Toronto
n40ca4s wrote: Just need two units. Anyone wants the third one at cost (GTA)?
I happen to only want one, are they all identical or does one act like a master pod?

If it's not the case, I'm also in for 1in the GTA if anyone wishes to own 2.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4855 posts
1088 upvotes
SK
dealo'day wrote: I happen to only want one, are they all identical or does one act like a master pod?

If it's not the case, I'm also in for 1in the GTA if anyone wishes to own 2.
They are all the same but you assign one node as your Main in the app.
Dec 10, 2017
79 posts
33 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: I switched from a AC66 to the SmartThings v2 mesh and it was a big improvement going from a single node to a mesh setup. I am on the M9’s now and it been an even bigger improvement.

Are there features of the AC86u you are worried about losing or just the looking for improvement on the 2.4GHz channel? If it’s just the channel, this should solve it being a 3-node mesh with a dedicated wireless backhaul channel (5GHz) if you don’t have wired connections available.
Only feature is merlin and Scripts that about it.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Acer