Expired Hot Deals

B&H Photo Video

TP-Link Deco M9 Plus AC2200, Mesh Wi-Fi System Tri-band (3-Pack, Refurbished) $129.95 USD + FS

Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1066 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
I had a bad experience putting the Rogers modem in bridge mode.. the throughput dropped significantly for whatever reason. Better to rename the Rogers wifi to something else and use the old Rogers name for the deco network. That way all devices will connect to Deco automatically.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4878 posts
1117 upvotes
SK
MooseMcScrooge wrote: Weird question for technical folks, can I bring this to europe and use it there?
European Wifi channels are different, they have channel 12 & 13 on 2.4GHz for one example. Also Radio Frequency devices need to be approved by each country and can be illegal if operating non-approved devices that interfere with licensed spectrum.
Dec 31, 2018
189 posts
273 upvotes
I just installed the m4 deco system I picked up from best buy for 149$, I have internet 300 from Shaw with the Hitron modem and wasnt able to get a signal in parts of my house. They wanted to charge me a bunch for renting the newer curve mesh system but I'm not a fan of rental fees for these things as I find it costs more in the long run. Now even the furthest spot has a minimum of 80mbps which is acceptable for my uses in those parts of the house(Netflix and light games)! I even get up to 350 in the room where the main one is set up over wifi which is impressive. Set up was super easy too. I had initially tried a Netgear wireless extender and it was a joke lol. Definitely recommend paying the extra money for this brand to avoid the pain in the butt dealing with the hassle of other products, finicky set up and dropped signals.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4878 posts
1117 upvotes
SK
yyz2hkg wrote:

Ok, just received the Mesh today. I plugged in 2 Deco's, one with my Rogers CODA box and gave it a name. I put the other one in a dead spot on the second floor and all is good.

Now, as I mentioned before, I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to things like this and I have a question. I now have 2 wifi networks, my original Wifi Network and the new Mesh network, in which I thought that once I named the DECO it would be the default Network. But, I still have my original network that works as well on top of the Mesh network.

Does everyone follow me? Sorry for the dumb question, but does that mean I have 2 networks that I can choose from to use?
boldventure wrote:
You have 2 SSIDs, You can put the Rogers in bridge mode or turn off the wifi
mohitk wrote: I had a bad experience putting the Rogers modem in bridge mode.. the throughput dropped significantly for whatever reason. Better to rename the Rogers wifi to something else and use the old Rogers name for the deco network. That way all devices will connect to Deco automatically.
I found this post on the Rogers forum and it explains it nicely but a bit lengthy.
Hitron CODA-4582 with TP-Link Mesh System

Turn off Gateway mode if it’s on and turn on bridge mode.
Connect your Deco to one port the CODA and connect ALL your home devices to the Deco. If you’re doing wired backhaul between the Deco’s, make sure you are coming off the out port of one of the other Decos. Example: Main Deco Out port to satellite Deco In port. Only the Main Deco (in port) should be connected to the CODA.
You can add switches to the out ports and then connect to another Deco as well. Just nothing else on the home network connects back the CODA.
Last edited by shopper-X on May 17th, 2022 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2595 posts
1293 upvotes
Toronto
I think I might be buying this.

I only want 2, if anyone in the GTA wants one, I'll give it up at cost.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2988 posts
1111 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: I found this post on the Rogers forum and it explains it nicely but a bit lengthy.
Hitron CODA-4582 with TP-Link Mesh System

Turn off Gateway mode if it’s on and turn on bridge mode.
Connect your Deco to one port the CODA and connect ALL your home devices to the Deco. If you’re doing wired backhaul between the Deco’s, make sure you are coming off the out port of one of the other Decos. Example: Main Deco Out port to satellite Deco In port. Only the Main Deco (in port) should be connected to the CODA.
You can add switches to the out ports and then connect to another Deco as well. Just nothing else on the home network connects back the CODA.
Thanks for this. This is almost exactly what my setup is currently and I would buy a 4 port ethernet switch. Last question. What are the pros and cons of just having the 2 SSID's as an OP stated in my previous post?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4878 posts
1117 upvotes
SK
yyz2hkg wrote: Thanks for this. This is almost exactly what my setup is currently and I would buy a 4 port ethernet switch. Last question. What are the pros and cons of just having the 2 SSID's as an OP stated in my previous post?
The main thing is segregation of your home network devices. You may not be able to see or share certain things between devices. If you have a HTPC and a streaming device on two different networks, you may not be able to share files between the two.
The Deco offers a Guest SSID for this reason. Devices on the Guest network will not see devices and information on the main SSID.
If you’re running two SSIDs on two different devices then you may have to watch the Wifi channels you’re using for interference. With everyone running both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks in every house the fewer networks you’re running the better for everyone.
The Deco includes a Network Optimization feature to help fix some of these issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2988 posts
1111 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: The main thing is segregation of your home network devices. You may not be able to see or share certain things between devices. If you have a HTPC and a streaming device on two different networks, you may not be able to share files between the two.
The Deco offers a Guest SSID for this reason. Devices on the Guest network will not see devices and information on the main SSID.
If you’re running two SSIDs on two different devices then you may have to watch the Wifi channels you’re using for interference. With everyone running both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks in every house the fewer networks you’re running the better for everyone.
The Deco includes a Network Optimization feature to help fix some of these issues.
Thanks! Appreciate the detailed explanation!
Feb 8, 2007
776 posts
207 upvotes
How does this compare to 2x ASUS AX92U routers setup with AiMesh?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4878 posts
1117 upvotes
SK
xawaisx wrote: How does this compare to 2x ASUS AX92U routers setup with AiMesh?
You can try reading the review and analysis on the Small Network Builder site. They do a great job going over everything on each router. Their analysis will explain in which scenarios one is better and help you pick accordingly.
Jun 1, 2011
564 posts
130 upvotes
Ajax
dealo'day wrote: I think I might be buying this.

I only want 2, if anyone in the GTA wants one, I'll give it up at cost.
PM send
Oct 14, 2017
363 posts
252 upvotes
London
I just received mine today. Extremely easy set up. I feel robbed used D-Link Covr 1203’s. I pay for 150 mbps and I’m getting close to 300 mbps on the main floor and over 150 mbps in the basement and 2nd floor after running the network optimization through the app. So happy.
Dec 10, 2017
85 posts
38 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: The main thing is segregation of your home network devices. You may not be able to see or share certain things between devices. If you have a HTPC and a streaming device on two different networks, you may not be able to share files between the two.
sorry just so I understand is it best to just to have 1 SSID or split in two with setting up the guest network where I have all my smart things and my Nvidia shield pro on one and all Phones and computers on another SSID?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4878 posts
1117 upvotes
SK
Ramzkh wrote: sorry just so I understand is it best to just to have 1 SSID or split in two with setting up the guest network where I have all my smart things and my Nvidia shield pro on one and all Phones and computers on another SSID?
A Guest network segregates your devices on to two networks. Think of it as a dividing partition in a limousine, you’re all in the car (internet) but that privacy partition prevents people in the front seeing what the people in the back do.
Since the Deco is managing both SSIDs it can figure out and manage everything. It actually broadcasts the the two SSIDs on the same channels as the main SSID to reduce interference.

So if you don’t want certain devices having access to other devices, turn on the Guest SSID option.

From TP-Link: How to set up a Guest Network for Deco?
Dec 10, 2017
85 posts
38 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: A Guest network segregates your devices on to two networks. Think of it as a dividing partition in a limousine, you’re all in the car (internet) but that privacy partition prevents people in the front seeing what the people in the back do.
Since the Deco is managing both SSIDs it can figure out and manage everything. It actually broadcasts the the two SSIDs on the same channels as the main SSID to reduce interference.

So if you don’t want certain devices having access to other devices, turn on the Guest SSID option.

From TP-Link: How to set up a Guest Network for Deco?
So maybe just leave it as 1 SSID and let the devices figure it out on what band to connect too?
Nov 3, 2013
703 posts
1232 upvotes
Regina, SK
Ramzkh wrote: So maybe just leave it as 1 SSID and let the devices figure it out on what band to connect too?
Yes. You're overthinking this.
Dec 10, 2017
85 posts
38 upvotes
dethrock wrote: Yes. You're overthinking this.
Yes I'm sure I am but coming from an Asus router where I have always used 2 SSID so I'm about to set this up and wanted the best settings but thanks for your help.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
3465 posts
1485 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In 1 SSID for the 3 separate bands (5 GHz, 5 GHz, 2.4 GHz), can you set different channels on each?
Aug 12, 2011
583 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
What's the difference between using this versus installing several wifi range extenders or repeaters all over the house?
May 19, 2020
50 posts
14 upvotes
hachi8 wrote: What's the difference between using this versus installing several wifi range extenders or repeaters all over the house?
In layman terms, Extender or repeater has its own ssid which you need to connect to everytime you move. Mesh is seamless and your device would remain connected when you are on the move within your house.