Expired Hot Deals

B&H Photo Video

TP-Link Deco M9 Plus AC2200, Mesh Wi-Fi System Tri-band (3-Pack, Refurbished) $129.95 USD + FS

Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4883 posts
1119 upvotes
SK
boldventure wrote: In 1 SSID for the 3 separate bands (5 GHz, 5 GHz, 2.4 GHz), can you set different channels on each?
It’s 1x 2.4GHz and 1x 5GHz channels. The 2nd 5GHz is used for wireless backhaul between the Deco units so it’s a private channel. It’s not really used with wired backhaul but if the 5GHz channel used by devices gets over loaded it can take some of the private backhaul channel and help it.

The Guest SSID is off by default.
The Main SSID and Guest SSID have toggles for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. You can select any combination you want for each.
hachi8 wrote: What's the difference between using this versus installing several wifi range extenders or repeaters all over the house?
Wifi extenders and repeaters bring up the old adage of “Garbage in Garbage out”. Most people will place the extenders close to where they are not where the signal is good to boost. You also lose MIMO going from your main wifi router to an extender/booster.

With the M9 Plus and its dedicated wireless backhaul channel it sort of solves this problem. You still need to place the units in a good spot.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
3474 posts
1495 upvotes
Toronto, ON
shopper-X wrote: It’s 1x 2.4GHz and 1x 5GHz channels. The 2nd 5GHz is used for wireless backhaul between the Deco units so it’s a private channel. It’s not really used with wired backhaul but if the 5GHz channel used by devices gets over loaded it can take some of the private backhaul channel and help it.
Can I set different channels for each bandwidth? example ch 5 for 2.4 and ch 157 for 5
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1676 posts
978 upvotes
boldventure wrote: Can I set different channels for each bandwidth? example ch 5 for 2.4 and ch 157 for 5
No I find the settings very limited.
Can't even check monthly bandwidth
Feb 6, 2017
73 posts
7 upvotes
Anyone have an extra node they do not require and want to sell? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4883 posts
1119 upvotes
SK
boldventure wrote: Can I set different channels for each bandwidth? example ch 5 for 2.4 and ch 157 for 5
No. It automatically picks the best channels.
66xx66 wrote: No I find the settings very limited.
Can't even check monthly bandwidth
Very true. I miss the Traffic reporting from my Asus/Merlin router.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3921 posts
3868 upvotes
Muskoka
I put all of my SmartPlugs, Alexa and other smart speakers on my 2.4 guest network. And real visiting guests can also use this. All of my internal PCs, printers, phones, tablets are on the main network. Anything connected via Ethernet is also, by default, part of the main internal network. My main network is both 2.4 and 5Ghz but a single SSID.
Public Mobile
Mar 31, 2012
98 posts
24 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Is this a worthwhile upgrade from the m5 if I have 1gbps internet?
Oct 2, 2013
845 posts
262 upvotes
Mississauga
I got 1 if anyone wants 1 at cost. just received it yesterday. I am happy with my EAP245 setup so going to stick with that.

Please PM
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2604 posts
1299 upvotes
Toronto
cyzerr wrote: Is this a worthwhile upgrade from the m5 if I have 1gbps internet?
From what I've read, they differentiate with the the m9 having an extra third band and giving out a stronger signal. So it depends on you and how it's used in your home

If you're using a wired connection, no. If it's wireless and you're not getting the best possible speed, then yes. If you have many people/devices using the router and it's not keeping up with the traffic, then yes.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3796 posts
3444 upvotes
Just got the M9 Plus.

I am experiencing a few issues.

1. I cannot login to the web panel via. browser for the life of me. The default gateway is 192.168.0.1. It does not work. I have also tried http://tplinkdeco.net. It does not work. I have already tried rebooting.

2. The speeds are atrocious. I think my devices are not connected to the right unit, and I cannot figure out how to define which device to connect to which unit to optimize speed. But again, I cannot connect to the admin panel via. browser at the moment. I can only connect via Deco app, which I think is the simplified version.

3. The wifi on my PC is constantly dropping every 5-10 minutes, switching between WiFi 4 and WiFi 5, but I have a Deco unit sitting just 2 feet away from it. I think it's constantly switching units.

Please advise!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4883 posts
1119 upvotes
SK
AsianXL wrote: Just got the M9 Plus.

I am experiencing a few issues.

1. I cannot login to the web panel via. browser for the life of me. The default gateway is 192.168.0.1. It does not work. I have also tried http://tplinkdeco.net. It does not work. I have already tried rebooting.

2. The speeds are atrocious. I think my devices are not connected to the right unit, and I cannot figure out how to define which device to connect to which unit to optimize speed. But again, I cannot connect to the admin panel via. browser at the moment. I can only connect via Deco app, which I think is the simplified version.

3. The wifi on my PC is constantly dropping every 5-10 minutes, switching between WiFi 4 and WiFi 5, but I have a Deco unit sitting just 2 feet away from it. I think it's constantly switching units.

Please advise!
1. Make sure your old router and wifi are turned off
2. Make sure your main deco unit “in port” is the only home device plugged in to your ISP gateway
3. Plug a computer/laptop directly in to the “out” port and see what gateway you attached to
4. Use the gateway address to login to the deco web portal
Honestly the app does more then the web portal
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1610 posts
649 upvotes
TBD
I bought this the last time and it's been fine. But what is up with all the refurbished units??
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3796 posts
3444 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: 1. Make sure your old router and wifi are turned off
2. Make sure your main deco unit “in port” is the only home device plugged in to your ISP gateway
3. Plug a computer/laptop directly in to the “out” port and see what gateway you attached to
4. Use the gateway address to login to the deco web portal
Honestly the app does more then the web portal
1. Done
2. Done
3. I don't have a spare ethernet cable. However, the problem seem to have fixed itself after restarting all the units after initial setup.
4. I still cannot login to the web portal via. gateway address over my web browser.

Yeah, I was under the impression that there would be more functions in the web portal rather than the app, but I am mistaken.

Would I be "fine" if I can never login to the web portal via. web browser?
Last edited by AsianXL on May 24th, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3796 posts
3444 upvotes
Another issue that I am having is that my internet speed has been poor since I set this mesh up.

I have a 150/15Mbps internet package.

When I connected directly to my ISP modem via. 5G, I was able to pull 170/16Mbps.

However, on the mesh, I can't break 90Mbps down.

I have disabled all QOS (default setting pretty much).
Aug 12, 2011
583 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote: Another issue that I am having is that my internet speed has been poor since I set this mesh up.

When I connected directly to my ISP modem via. 5G, I was able to pull 170/16Mbps.

Try turning ON QoS and set max speed to gigabit
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4883 posts
1119 upvotes
SK
AsianXL wrote: Another issue that I am having is that my internet speed has been poor since I set this mesh up.

Have you updated the firmware manually to the newer version?
coilz wrote: Ok Finally set up the Deco M9 Plus here. Noticed that there are no firmware upgrade for my M9 plus V2.8, its on Firmware 1.2.12 Build 20191014 ? Other hardware versions like V2 or V2.2 has updated firmware that are dated from 2021... Anyone noticed that issue?

Edit: Might have found solution here? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/f ... pic/517324
They say using the Update Utility to update to firmware for V2
?..... Sounds like YMMV thing?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3796 posts
3444 upvotes
hachi8 wrote: Try turning ON QoS and set max speed to gigabit
Yup I did.

I've set QOS to 'standard' and Total Bandwidth to '1000Mbps" up and down.

I also tried connecting it directly to my PC via. ethernet. I am still getting only 90Mbps down - same as WiFi speed test.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3796 posts
3444 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: Have you updated the firmware manually to the newer version?
No, I have not. Is there a newer version?
I've only tried updating the firmware via. Deco app.

EDIT: Just saw the link you've posted.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3796 posts
3444 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: Have you updated the firmware manually to the newer version?
I just updated the firmware to the link you posted.
The speed and latency were even worse than before.
I have reverted back to 1.5.6

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)