Expired Hot Deals

[bhphotovideo.com] Netgear Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 Router 66.59 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2022 5:06 pm
Apr 24, 2011
509 posts
229 upvotes
Scarborough
GPSX wrote: Hi, how many smart devices you have hooked up? I am the opposite. I have one router asus 86u instead of the mesh networks I see that are so popular. And I always wondered if those smaller mesh systems can handle 10+ smart home devices (phones, tv, Google hubs, light switches, etc..). Asking because have a friend deciding between the two. I would think the processor speed helps handle the large amount of wifi devices?
3 light switches, Alexa, Chromecast, 2 TVs, camera, thermostat, Google smartclock, my PC that's hardwired, and 2 phones and 2 laptops between my GF and I.

Had a few people over and 6 of us played party games on our phones with no interruptions
Sep 21, 2019
626 posts
440 upvotes
Netgear routers' firmware is just barebones, almost criminal in 2021.

Can't forward DNS requests (services such unlocator smartdns, opendns for family filter), can't use VPN services such as surfshark at all (much less use specific VPN for specific device(, no auto for 5ghz and so son.
Nephelae wrote: Not the best router but still an ATL for this router. No idea why you're getting down votes. Its a good deal.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12808 posts
11626 upvotes
Oil Country
hooya wrote: I've been using this router for an year, and it's a solid router for the price (bought at $80CAD). I have an wifi5 mesh in AP mode that covers the large area, and use this mostly for streaming games or transferring large files over the wifi. One major downside of using this router is, SLOW intel chipset. A simple restart could take up to 5 minute and web interface is very slow to navigate. I have about 20 devices and 4~5 PCs connected all the time without a noticeable issue.
This isn't the same router you have. The one listed by the OP has a Broadcom chipset.
Mar 27, 2016
280 posts
164 upvotes
From Umi, with ♡
let me think for a minute. because it is really annoyed to return since it is in US. :rolleyes: because I was idiot back then,
Dec 27, 2021
138 posts
248 upvotes
strife wrote: Updated OP with warranty info.
Thank you!

Sounds like B&H only gave the details on [in warranty return / RMA] shipping...but not necessarily on whether Netgear will cover the unit if it's sold outside of the originally intended distribution country?

Really want to get a decent AX router...but Wifi 6E seems to be here already...I might have to wait a bit longer before they get OpenWRT support. Still stuck on AC routers at the moment.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6584 posts
6896 upvotes
Vancouver
axis81 wrote: 3 light switches, Alexa, Chromecast, 2 TVs, camera, thermostat, Google smartclock, my PC that's hardwired, and 2 phones and 2 laptops between my GF and I.

Had a few people over and 6 of us played party games on our phones with no interruptions
Just an anecdotal thing, but my current Netgear router has been rock solid stable with the stock firmware for 3 years, never needing a reboot, even while I've loaded it up with something like 50 smart home devices, multiple phones and tablets, media streaming devices etc.. Until 2 months ago that is, when I apparently hit some kind of capacity limit by adding one thing too many. Now it gradually stops responding and then crashes every couple of days. I suspect it's due to my Plex Media Server that added a music library reading from the USB thumb drive connected to the router. Probably a memory leak in the firmware that wasn't ever a problem before.

So it's really hard to say whether a router is good or not when adding one more thing can change the picture completely. Generally the firmware on routers is crap: lots of ancient copied code that's poorly maintained, full of bugs and security issues. You just have to hope that your setup doesn't run into any serious bugs. And once it's stable, don't add anything or update the firmware!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1213 posts
964 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Just an anecdotal thing, but my current Netgear router has been rock solid stable with the stock firmware for 3 years, never needing a reboot, even while I've loaded it up with something like 50 smart home devices, multiple phones and tablets, media streaming devices etc.. Until 2 months ago that is, when I apparently hit some kind of capacity limit by adding one thing too many. Now it gradually stops responding and then crashes every couple of days. I suspect it's due to my Plex Media Server that added a music library reading from the USB thumb drive connected to the router. Probably a memory leak in the firmware that wasn't ever a problem before.

So it's really hard to say whether a router is good or not when adding one more thing can change the picture completely. Generally the firmware on routers is crap: lots of ancient copied code that's poorly maintained, full of bugs and security issues. You just have to hope that your setup doesn't run into any serious bugs. And once it's stable, don't add anything or update the firmware!
We should be concerned with security patches for routers though, no? I don't update my google play apps cuz developers often remove useful features, but I do generally keep my devices updated if they're a security concern.

To your 1st point tho, this router is not for power users. It's a budget Wifi 6 router from a big name on sale. If you have honestly more than 20 devices, go with something more powerful for the long term.
Oct 1, 2020
772 posts
1627 upvotes
49.99 USD to BC holy crap.

Btw: as long as I have the same SSID and password, all my smart devices can just reconnect to the new wireless router? It would be A PAIN to set up my 15+ wireless devices again for a new network =/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1213 posts
964 upvotes
EmpressLisaSu wrote: 49.99 USD to BC holy crap.

Btw: as long as I have the same SSID and password, all my smart devices can just reconnect to the new wireless router? It would be A PAIN to set up my 15+ wireless devices again for a new network =/
Yes, just set same ssid/password and all devices will connect normally.
Oct 1, 2020
772 posts
1627 upvotes
strife wrote: Yes, just set same ssid/password and all devices will connect normally.
Thank goodness
Nov 17, 2018
43 posts
35 upvotes
"Do you know what would be the best value router for range? I currently use the Shaw provided Blue Curve modem/router and it’s horrible"

Depends how big an area you are looking to cover. My personal experience below.
If on a budget , Netgear R7000 , Linksys wrt3200, asus 86u are very good standalone options for range and stability (note all these are ac and not ax), can be found in $100-150 range during sale or even sub $100 if lucky. Another option is to check kijiji or similar and buy used from ppl upgrading to mesh systems. I originally had the 86u, later added R7000 (can update firmware on this to merlin - google will help) on a mesh and it was rock solid for a townhouse. Gave these to relatives when I got and tested the linksys velop ac4400 (you can buy nodes to add later) during walmart clearance an year ago. I find this to be a very capable and stable system, handle a lot of smart home devices, ppl working from home etc with no dead spots. The velop also shows up a lot on kijiji.

Personally don't have that many ax devices to connect now, so will wait for an year or two to upgrade to wifi 6E. These are starting to come up and pricey, but guess will take time to mature and stabilise.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1969 posts
1100 upvotes
Toronto
Solid price for essentially a better R7000P.

My R7000P started to go on the fritz after over 3 years. I noticed that with routers historically have deteriorated or something after the 3 year mark.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2344 posts
2471 upvotes
Surrey
jj3213 wrote: "Do you know what would be the best value router for range? I currently use the Shaw provided Blue Curve modem/router and it’s horrible"

If on a budget , Netgear R7000 , Linksys wrt3200, asus 86u are very good standalone options for range and stability (note all these are ac and not ax), can be found in $100-150 range during sale or even sub $100 if lucky. Another option is to check kijiji or similar and buy used from ppl upgrading to mesh systems. I originally had the 86u, later added R7000 (can update firmware on this to merlin - google will help) on a mesh and it was rock solid for a townhouse. Gave these to relatives when I got and tested the linksys velop ac4400 (you can buy nodes to add later) during walmart clearance an year ago. I find this to be a very capable and stable system, handle a lot of smart home devices, ppl working from home etc with no dead spots. The velop also shows up a lot on kijiji.

Personally don't have that many ax devices to connect now, so will wait for an year or two to upgrade to wifi 6E. These are starting to come up and pricey, but guess will take time to mature and stabilise.
It’s not a huge house (single floor), but there are 4 bedrooms and one of the rooms always experiences slow and unstable connection. Shaw said it’s because of the router. If there’s something cheaper than this but is great for Wifi gaming and streaming, then that would be awesome.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2344 posts
2471 upvotes
Surrey
EmpressLisaSu wrote: 49.99 USD to BC holy crap.

I’m getting $66.59 USD to BC Confused Face
Dec 27, 2021
138 posts
248 upvotes
jj3213 wrote: "Do you know what would be the best value router for range? I currently use the Shaw provided Blue Curve modem/router and it’s horrible"

Data point: Currently have 4 WRT3200ACMs running OpenWRT. Got them for $75 each (used) about 18months ago. Solid...so far. Also an EA9500 for $100 new, plus a DIR-885L for $50 used. All on OpenWRT.

People ditching their AC routers and jumping onto the AX bandwagon...good for some of us looking for solid* AC solutions.

* No WPA3.
Last edited by CircularMotion on Jan 13th, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12808 posts
11626 upvotes
Oil Country
DarkReaper wrote: Solid price for essentially a better R7000P.

My R7000P started to go on the fritz after over 3 years. I noticed that with routers historically have deteriorated or something after the 3 year mark.
They shouldn't if they're made with good quality parts. For the most part, there are no movings parts. If something is going to cause the router to deteriorate, it's poor quality components or bad software.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1969 posts
1100 upvotes
Toronto
fudge_u wrote: They shouldn't if they're made with good quality parts. For the most part, there are no movings parts. If something is going to cause the router to deteriorate, it's poor quality components or bad software.
That's what I figured but every router I've owned from the Linksys WRT54G, Asus RT-N56U, to the Netgear R7000P, have all started to degrade around the 3 year mark. Wi-fi would cut out randomly and would require reboots. Up until 3 years, they all were fantastic. Custom firmware tend to be a temporary fix for a few months at most.