279 posts
164 upvotes
From Umi, with ♡
wow it goes up to $99 USDFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1840 posts
663 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: Asus is decent, but I find people blindly choose Asus products based on past experience or because the router supports Merlin. There other routers out there that offer better value IMO. I've used several Asus routers in the past with and without Merlin or Merlin forks and they're good but if you're a basic user with few requirements, then there are cheaper options that perform similar such as TP-Link, Netgear, etc. Just my opinion though.

Just ordered one for my folks... thanks OP! It came out to $62.59USD shipped to Alberta after shipping and import fees, which is about $80CAD.
My life improved when I separated routing and wifi access points.

I bought an EdgeRouter4 for routing and repurposed my old wifi routers as dumb wifi access points.

Highly recommended.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12781 posts
11607 upvotes
Oil Country
HugsNotDrugs wrote: My life improved when I separated routing and wifi access points.

I bought an EdgeRouter4 for routing and repurposed my old wifi routers as dumb wifi access points.

Highly recommended.
I've owned an EdgeRouter PoE-5, USG, Dream Machine, and now I'm onto a Dream Router. I used a UAP-AC-Pro with ERPoE-5 and USG. Funny enough, the Dream Machine and Dream Router gave me better wireless coverage and performance than the other setups. For some reason, the wireless strength of the UAP-AC-Pro is pretty weak. Others have experienced that same too.

Ubiquiti stuff is great and all, but it's not for everyone. For the average user that wants a cheap simple setup, something like the Netgear router is ideal. I know a lot of people that don't want to spend money on routers and such if they don't have to. They get by fine with band aid fixes.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1966 posts
1098 upvotes
Toronto
Just got this. Pretty good so far, it is marked as RAX38v2.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7685 posts
971 upvotes
Waterloo
Good deal just curious tho how much is duties? Who is it is the shipping carrier? If it’s ups it be very expensive!
Nov 15, 2015
102 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ok I want to upgrade my basic Rogers internet modem into either a good router or a mesh system but I really don't know much about these things. I have a couple spotty areas in my home which is why I was leaning towards mesh but would a good wifi 6 router take care of that by itself? It would be much cheaper to get a good router opposed to a good mesh system
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4013 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto
danfromwaterloo wrote: Remember that capacitors are essentially batteries, and most electronics have dozens of capacitors on their boards. Each capacitor has a set number of discharges before it starts to die. Depending on the architecture of the board, that could be 3 years or 10 years.
That's not really correct. Caps age but not really like batteries. After all, a charge/discharge cycle is typically days to years in batteries and nanoseconds to fractions of a second for capacitors. The chemistry is totally different.

Different kinds of capacitors age differently. Most caps in routers are electrolytic.

A decade or so ago, a lot of electrolytic capacitors started dying. This was horrible for a number of reasons. If you see a board with swollen caps, you might find that this is the problem. It was a case of faulty industrial espionage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
2057 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, got one for my work to use as AP.
Oct 1, 2020
758 posts
1555 upvotes
I got 2 for the FS. Anyone in the GVA wanna take the other one off me at cost?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)