Shopping Discussion

Big changes at Walmart for "seamless digital experience" (and new app)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2019 5:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9230 posts
3564 upvotes

Big changes at Walmart for "seamless digital experience" (and new app)

Walmart is making a bunch of new changes to create a “seamless digital experience” for customers, with renovations to 31 stores to include new pickup towers that allow you to log in and pick up an online order without human intervention, a new digital app that allows you to scan your purchases as you go and only scan a barcode at the self-checkout, a sharply curtailed selection of items available for home delivery, and targeted eVouchers for online shoppers to drive them to use the in-store pickup.

The first 31 stores to be updated are:

Alberta: Calgary (Westbrook), Grande Prairie, Lethbridge, Lloydminster and Wetaskawin.

British Columbia: Langley and Victoria

Manitoba: Winnipeg (North) and Thompson

Newfoundland: Gander

Ontario: Bolton, Brampton (East), Brockville, Kanata, Kenora, Orillia, Ottawa (South), Pembroke, Renfrew, Richmond Hill (South), St. Catharines (Centre), St. Thomas, Timmins, Toronto (Stockyards), Trenton, Vaughan (West) and Windsor (South)

Quebec: Montreal (Decarie), Repentigny and St. Jerome

Saskatchewan: Yorktown

New pickup towers:

Confusingly, they now have two apps. The new app, “My Walmart: In-store shopping” with the Scan & Go feature, works in only selected stores for now. It is linked here:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/mobileapp

If you are a regular Walmart.ca shopper, you may have noticed that the number of grocery items available for home delivery has shrunk suddenly and drastically. To make up for this they are offering targeted eVouchers for $10 off minimum $50 purchase, good for 4 uses until July 31, on grocery pickup. Check your junk mail.
Thread Summary
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2668 posts
1336 upvotes
B.C.
Thank you, the Victoria Walmart needs all the help it can get. I've never seen a Walmart so badly organized and poorly stocked.
Oct 22, 2006
793 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
Hopefully this will improve their deliver to local store option. I used it once. It was some of the worst customer experience I've seen..

I arrived at the store. They then had to call an associate to the photo location (their pickup spot). Nobody came for15 minutes, then finally an associate showed up. They grumbled, went back into the store and found the item (This took them 15 more minutes). Then brought it to me and demanded ID to prove I was the person who ordered it.

All in.. 45 minutes of waiting to pick up something that I could have walked and gotten myself in less than 2 minutes. I would NEVER order online again from Walmart. Only did it one time because I had a coupon.

Not worth the hassle!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9230 posts
3564 upvotes
dollarsign wrote: Hopefully this will improve their deliver to local store option. I used it once. It was some of the worst customer experience I've seen..

I arrived at the store. They then had to call an associate to the photo location (their pickup spot). Nobody came for15 minutes, then finally an associate showed up. They grumbled, went back into the store and found the item (This took them 15 more minutes). Then brought it to me and demanded ID to prove I was the person who ordered it.

All in.. 45 minutes of waiting to pick up something that I could have walked and gotten myself in less than 2 minutes. I would NEVER order online again from Walmart. Only did it one time because I had a coupon.

Not worth the hassle!
Yeah, I had a pretty similar one-time experience. Waited, waited, guy came out, had to go back and find a key so waited some more, then I got my package but that was not my full order, so I had to repeat the process for the second part. I can't wait for those tower things to show up in my store.
Mar 22, 2013
82 posts
111 upvotes
BC
I'm not a big fan of the shrinking selection and variety of products available on walmart.ca

Things I purchased less than 6 months are not available anymore. Their website is full of third party vendor garbage now.

The whole point of online shopping is to avoid the brick and mortar stores traffic and store hours.
Jul 20, 2017
135 posts
102 upvotes
Recently got this in Oakville 1-2 months ago, pretty cool honestly.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9230 posts
3564 upvotes
This is the checkout they are putting in to support the new Scan & Go app:

Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2668 posts
1336 upvotes
B.C.
lecale wrote: This is the checkout they are putting in to support the new Scan & Go app:

Interesting.

Are those RFID tag scanners at the end? They have them at the self checkout at my Walmart.

Are they slapping RFID tags on expensive things?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2493 posts
1021 upvotes
Quebec
I wish Walmart would stop being shitty e-commerce before trying new things
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9230 posts
3564 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: Interesting.

Are those RFID tag scanners at the end? They have them at the self checkout at my Walmart.

Are they slapping RFID tags on expensive things?
No, you scan UPCs with your phone as you go and at the end you scan a QR code on your phone at the terminals. They have this already at Stockyards.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2668 posts
1336 upvotes
B.C.
lecale wrote: No, you scan UPCs with your phone as you go and at the end you scan a QR code on your phone at the terminals. They have this already at Stockyards.
I get that part, but the towers at the end of the self checkout aisle don't seem to beep like the security towers at the exit. I bet they do read RFID tags on high value items.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9230 posts
3564 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: I get that part, but the towers at the end of the self checkout aisle don't seem to beep like the security towers at the exit. I bet they do read RFID tags on high value items.
Ahh. I wondered about them because they are so small vs. what they need to secure the exit. I think you're right.

My buddy once got a great deal on a vacuum by coming in 3 days in a row with a printout of Walmart.ca showing there were 6 sale vacuums in stock. He had the store hopping looking for them and they had to conclude customers had walked off with that many vacuums. To thank him for having helped them uncover this, they gave him the next vacuum up for the sale price. Maybe 5 years later now, they have had a significant increase in security. They have a "charity" booth at each entrance with a staffer scanning the crowd, plus security guards/receipt checking, plus a lot more video (including driving as many customers as possible to the self checkouts where Walmart can catch a clear shot of people's faces). I wouldn't be surprised if they are also using RFID technology. Security has suddenly become a thing to them.