Is it a big deal? A teller signed up a plan for me without my consent

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2017 9:12 pm
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote

Is it a big deal? A teller signed up a plan for me without my consent

Hi, I just have a question to ask to the public and see if everyone else thinks it is serious as well.
Here is the story:
One day, I checked my bank account and I noticed that a dollar was withdrew from my chequing account and the description showed the withdraw was related to TD account. I didn't think it was a big deal since it was just a dollar but I still called the TD customer service and asked why there was a dollar withdrew from my account. I was then been told by a customer service rep that the withdraw was due to a saving plan I had, which whenever I use my debit card, a dollar would be withdrew in to my saving account from chequing.

I was shocked because I have never signed up for it and the representative told me how it was set up for me on June 1st 2017. I was really mad about it because I knew I did go into one of the TD branches on that day but the purpose of the trip was simply withdrawing money and I was not asked for any additional questions about getting any plans nor did I sign up for any plans.

The representative simply cancelled the call for me and the supervisor I talked to on that call said they would investigate the case because I said I would like to file a complain and I wanted a explanation for it. A week after. I called back again since I didn't get any calls back and another TD supervisor simply just told me that he would send a note to the first supervisor I talked to and let him know I was expecting a call.

A few days after, I did get a call back again, but the representative did not know what the issue was and I had to explain everything again. I got the same reply along the line of "we would investigate into the case and contact the branch manager and get him to call you back". It has been more than a week now, I still haven't got any calls back from TD to explain how or why I have been signed up for a saving plan without my consent and if it was the same teller that signed me up for the plan as the one I was talking to on June 1st to simply withdraw my money.

I just want a clear explanation and an apology from that branch but from what I experience so far, TD isn't taking this case seriously at all and maybe the representatives and supervisors think it will just die down eventually?

Is it just me being mean and unforgiving about this case or it is might right to find out exactly what happen? I want the public opinions because I do want to submit this story to the local news if you believe this is serious as well and TD isn't responding back in a responsible way.

Thank you for your time to read my form and sharing your opinions.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13438 posts
8812 upvotes
Markham
Does TD still do this?
Oct 19, 2016
650 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
TD employees are under heavy pressure to sell. It could be possible that something illegal may have happened. Im surprised it doesnt happen more often.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9968 upvotes
Edmonton
If it concerns you, send a registered letter to the branch manager, explaining what you saw on your account. Find out the name of the reporters for CBC (and anyone else you can) that covered the recent "bank scamming" articles, and CC them on the letter (so be careful what you write). That should generate some interest. Keep track of who you talk to and when.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sales-t ... -1.4057581
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/td-bank ... -1.4016569

If you can, include higher-ups at the bank. You could also go public on the bank's facebook page (if they have one), twitter, etc.

C
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5917 posts
3470 upvotes
Well, they didn't steal the dollar.

It's in an account under your name.

Just go to the branch and tell them you don't want to participate and to close the created account.

I can see the concern. But It's a dollar and the account is just a savings account.

Some people have far too much time on their hands.
Dec 18, 2008
985 posts
95 upvotes
Did you have the savings account before? Sometimes if you have a stagnant account a $1 transfer is needed to 'waken' it.

CIBC has done that for me to keep some accounts active.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Yes, I do have a saving account but I always have enough of money in there that is earning interest so no needs to wake it for sure.
Last edited by j9302275 on Aug 16th, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
hobbes778 wrote: Did you have the savings account before? Sometimes if you have a stagnant account a $1 transfer is needed to 'waken' it.

CIBC has done that for me to keep some accounts active.
Yes, I do have a saving account but I always have enough of money in there that is earning interest so no needs to wake it for sure.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
renoldman wrote: Well, they didn't steal the dollar.

It's in an account under your name.

Just go to the branch and tell them you don't want to participate and to close the created account.

I can see the concern. But It's a dollar and the account is just a savings account.

Some people have far too much time on their hands.
It is not the dollar that I care about. It is the fact that a teller created a plan for me without my consent, that is the problem I have.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1458 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The issue here is that the bank signed up a Client for services and were not told about.
Even if the service is free or perceived to be generally beneficial to the Client, I think the Client at minimum needs to be made aware (even better if they can chose to Opt-in or Opt-out).
This is particularly true in this case because it involves the movement of the Client's funds.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2812 posts
1487 upvotes
905P4N6 wrote: The issue here is that the bank signed up a Client for services and were not told about.
Even if the service is free or perceived to be generally beneficial to the Client, I think the Client at minimum needs to be made aware (even better if they can chose to Opt-in or Opt-out).
This is particularly true in this case because it involves the movement of the Client's funds.
Agreed, and I am scratching my head as to why $1 being transferred multiple times to a savings account could be considered beneficial (unless the $1 was coming from the bank instead of your chequing account).
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4221 posts
1357 upvotes
QC
TD preapproved me (with the credit check) for a credit card once. I'd complain to the manager.
Mar 10, 2009
317 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
jfmartel wrote: TD preapproved me (with the credit check) for a credit card once. I'd complain to the manager.
If you're "pre-approved" for a credit card or a credit limit increase then there's NO hard hit (credit check) on your credit score. (It's based on other factors such as assets with the bank, how long you've been with the bank, etc.). If you applied yourself and you had no pre-approvals THEN a credit check is done.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4221 posts
1357 upvotes
QC
imperial1 wrote: If you're "pre-approved" for a credit card or a credit limit increase then there's NO hard hit (credit check) on your credit score. (It's based on other factors such as assets with the bank, how long you've been with the bank, etc.). If you applied yourself and you had no pre-approvals THEN a credit check is done.
I expressed myself wrong, the card was already approved. I opened a chequing account in January without any other service since I already had a TD Infinite. After I closed the card, I waited a couple weeks to reapply and the CSR told me I was already approved back in January...
Oct 24, 2011
623 posts
179 upvotes
Timmins
j9302275 wrote: Yes, I do have a saving account but I always have enough of money in there that is earning interest so no needs to wake it for sure.
All accounts must have a transaction once a year in order to avoid being rated 'dormant'; it doesn't matter how much is in the account; I take care of my mother's accounts and have set up a reminder for me to do a transfer every 3 months into/out of her savings account which she never has to use, otherwise it will be made inaccessible and there is a service charge to reactivate it.

That being said- it sounds like you were signed up for an automatic savings plan unknowingly; I would raise hell with the manager around that one.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8921 posts
5570 upvotes
j9302275 wrote: Yes, I do have a saving account but I always have enough of money in there that is earning interest so no needs to wake it for sure.
OK - to get something straight - no "plan" was created. Simply save is a free service that moves a certain amount from your chequing to your savings each time you use your debit card. It does not cost you anything.

If you really wanna waste more of your time with this, send your complaint via secure message on EasyWeb. They will escalate it to the branch. Someone from the branch management team will call you, apologize, and then hopefully it'll be better ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5398 posts
1978 upvotes
Ignore the people who work for TD saying to do nothing.

Escalate to CBC news immediately.

This is a major transgression and this kind of behaviour is under HEAVY review by OSFI and the Ministry iof Finance. They set something up without your consent.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Mar 3, 2015
699 posts
95 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Unless you get TD chequing for free not worth fighting over $1. Just call and tell them to fix the issue or you close. But i would have already closed without a reason or fingerpointing.
Aug 10, 2014
148 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I honestly don't think any local media would bite on a story like this. Just doesn't seem serious enough because it's just a simple savings plan. Yes you were signed up for it without your knowledge but does the Teller really get a sale out of something as simple as $1 being transferred between accounts automatically? Really think you're trying to create a mountain out of a molehill imo.