Food & Drink

Which big grocery store to get oat milk? Can I get it without flavouring and thickener?

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2019 1:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18863 posts
4955 upvotes
Toronto

Which big grocery store to get oat milk? Can I get it without flavouring and thickener?

I've been told that oat milk is one of the most neutral flavoured plant milks out there. I'm not vegetarian but I just thought it would be nice to try it and to use it for fruit smoothies. I finally found unsweetened Earth's Own oat milk at metro, but it had vanilla in it. It was actually pretty good except for the vanilla, and for the fact it has a sort of artificial thickness to it, which I'm attributing at least in part to the gellan gum they add to it.

I don't like all these additives and flavourings North American companies add to plant-based milks. For example, Silk soy milk IMO has a weird texture, which I find kind of off-putting, and I again attribute that to the gellan gum they add do it. I'd rather just have the plain stuff, like the unsweetened soy milk you can find in Chinese grocery stores or restaurants which are just water and soybeans. Or else lightly sweetened.

I suppose I could try making oat milk myself, but I'd prefer just to buy it. I don't bother making soy milk either, even though all it takes is soybeans and water.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6685 posts
4794 upvotes
Loblaws sells them too.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18863 posts
4955 upvotes
Toronto
OK, I'll have to keep looking at Loblaws and Metro, thanks. However, it still has the thickener in it. Does anyone sell it without thickener (gellan gum)?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12128 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
EugW wrote: OK, I'll have to keep looking at Loblaws and Metro, thanks. However, it still has the thickener in it. Does anyone sell it without thickener (gellan gum)?
Oat milk is likely the easiest of the non milk's out there and it should be dirt cheap and you'll know there's no thickener in there.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 12, 2019
9 posts
2 upvotes
Loblaw brand stores sell So Good Oat Milk, unsweetened original and unsweetened vanilla. I'm pretty sure they add thickeners etc. since it's a packaged product made for longer shelf life.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18863 posts
4955 upvotes
Toronto
milolai wrote: for whatever reason my wife likes this product https://www.oatly.com/uk/products/oat-drink-organic

we buy it at Pusataries although i'm sure it's sold elsewhere
i've seen it sold in a few places in the Path as well but have not bought it there
OK great, I'll give that a shot. My mom lives near one, so I'll pass by. Too bad that shop is so damn expensive though.
gr8dlr wrote: Oat milk is likely the easiest of the non milk's out there and it should be dirt cheap and you'll know there's no thickener in there.

Looks good. Not sure about that tumeric oat milk though.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1379 posts
1913 upvotes
If you're just going to use it in smoothies I would just soak the oats overnight and not bother straining the oats, just blend them up in your smoothie. This way you'll also be using the fibre from the oats too which in itself is beneficial and keeps you fuller longer.