Food & Drink

BIG NEWS! The return of CHURCH'S CHICKEN to Toronto!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2019 9:50 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1373 posts
163 upvotes

BIG NEWS! The return of CHURCH'S CHICKEN to Toronto!!

I was coming home from my in-laws the other day and was driving along St. Clair and I absolutely couldn't believe my eyes - there, at the SW corner of St. Clair and Dufferin was a Church's Chicken!! My jaw dropped.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to stop in but the place was open and there were customers inside.

I can understand being a little gun-shy after the Vaughan Chick-Fila false alarm, but this was most definitely a real, honest-to-goodness Church's Chicken, logo and all.

Hopefully we can get a report from someone "on the scene".

[IMG]http://www.atlantadowntown.com/_files/i ... hicken.jpg[/IMG]
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
177 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4655 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
Woww.... can't wait! It's gone for 6 years I think or even more!

Thx OP!
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17523 posts
2864 upvotes
Toronto
I've never heard of this place. What's so special about it?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8296 posts
1312 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 1:25 pm
Used to be part of Harvey's like Wendy's /Tim Hortons.Only tried it once and could only remember the pieces were large. Can't remember about price but I know its a staple of fried chicken lovers anywhere they exist. It was not as seasoned as KFC or Popeyes but tasty still.Mostly salt.Can't remember much else regarding sides etc.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11371 posts
1608 upvotes
Mississauga
Piro21 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 1:25 pm

Used to be part of Harvey's many years ago. Really good, juicy, and big chicken. Far better than KFC but on par with Popeye's IMO. Popeye's wasn't around when Church's was here. I hope they get more than one location though!
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
729 upvotes
Wasn't part of Harvey's but a there was an arrangement where some of the harvey's would sell Church's chicken.

At that time, I found it particular flavourless and always thought it was a poor 3rd behind Popeyes and KFC.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
992 upvotes
N/A
nalababe wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 3:18 pm
Wasn't part of Harvey's but a there was an arrangement where some of the harvey's would sell Church's chicken.

At that time, I found it particular flavourless and always thought it was a poor 3rd behind Popeyes and KFC.

correct. kind of like the cold stone deal with tim's and short lived blimpy's deal with country style.
it didn't blow me away either, but i remember it being good chicken. i didn't like their gravy though.
but there are some real cc lovers out there. i know some people that would go out of their way for cc.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
20 upvotes
Scarborough
Yes please! I used to go to Harvey's every Friday night after work for my Church's chicken treat! Please let it be true ..................
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17817 posts
887 upvotes
nalababe wrote:

Oh come on.. It isn't possible to be behind KFC
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
159 upvotes
GTA
nalababe wrote:

Popeyes from my experience of late are cooking their chicken and letting it stand far too long now, I think they were better years ago. I always enjoyed Church's because their chicken was moist and crispy, I agree it wasn't overly seasoned but they had seasoning and hot sauce packets that usually did the trick if you wanted to jazz it up.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4897 posts
814 upvotes
I was a young kid at the time, but I remember liking it more than KFC. Me & my gf were driving by a week ago & I couldn't believe my eyes! Does anyone know their hours? I can't find a phone number anywhere, & I'm going to be at Dave & Busters for a bit before heading back downtown. Really want some today
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3503 posts
186 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 5:05 pm
Popeyes from my experience of late are cooking their chicken and letting it stand far too long now, I think they were better years ago. I always enjoyed Church's because their chicken was moist and crispy, I agree it wasn't overly seasoned but they had seasoning and hot sauce packets that usually did the trick if you wanted to jazz it up.

I hope its not those hot sauce packets that are just vinegar + red food colouring
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2003
1386 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
That is some extremely happy and good news for me, at least, because I have waited for 7 years to see Church's Chicken to return to Toronto, or even Ontario. I was down in Cleveland, Ohio, just last weekend and while driving to a local good eat diner shown on Triple D on Food Channel we saw a Church's Chicken Restaurant. Needless to say, our lunch plan changed right away and we turned around and had their juicy southern fried chicken instead. So darn cheap down there too---$6.99 for 9 pieces with no sale tax! They were moist inside and crunchy outside(and non greasy), just like how I wanted them to be, and I had never been failed by them once when they were partner with Harvey's for years in Toronto. They also had 99 cent chicken burgers too and any flavours you want. Oh man, we ordered two of them and they were both good! Man, $8.97 for a wonderful lunch for three. The following night, after having superb Pho in down town Cleveland we rushed back to the same Church's Chicken restaurant and bought two 3 piece combo's to go for me to enjoy in the hotel room. Only $2.69 for three pieces and a honey biscuit. I searched at their website for international locations and only found locations in BC for Canada, so is this St. Clair Ave location brand new, so new it was not even on their website???????
United We stand Victory in our Hand!
Mar 22, 2006
270 posts
40 upvotes
Meh, Popeyes still owns! I used to kill for Churches back in the day, but now its all about Popeyes, +1 for the new open kitchen style at St. Clair & Runnymede, you can see how its cooked and how long its been sitting.