Food & Drink

BIG NEWS! The return of CHURCH'S CHICKEN to Toronto!!

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 6:15 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16043 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
This is going to be FUN!
Is there really enough room for two chicken joints to be so close together?
Church's chicken is NOW OPEN @ 2510 Eglinton avenue east in Scarborough where the Xpress auto service used to be.
Have a look at how close to Chick n joy they are!! (not far off from Mary Brown's chicken either, lol)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/2500+ ... 79.2576927
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4344 posts
3873 upvotes
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
playnicee1 wrote: This is going to be FUN!
Is there really enough room for two chicken joints to be so close together?
Church's chicken is NOW OPEN @ 2510 Eglinton avenue east in Scarborough where the Xpress auto service used to be.
Have a look at how close to Chick n joy they are!! (not far off from Mary Brown's chicken either, lol)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/2500+ ... 79.2576927
Also right across from the KFC on the south side of Eglinton, a block east of Midland! 4 chicken places in that whole stretch.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16043 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
Strafe1 wrote: Also right across from the KFC on the south side of Eglinton, a block east of Midland! 4 chicken places in that whole stretch.
That KFC looks like it's ready to close down any day. Riding on the bus, a friend of mine thought the place was already gone!!
Gawd KFC if you're sticking around, please give the outside of your place a fresh new coat of paint or something...it won't improve your chicken any, but at least it'll make your place display itself better as still being in business! lol

That KFC actually looks worse (currently) than it does in this pic:
(at night, it really has an abandoned feeling to it! lol)

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... CnoECA4QCw
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
playnicee1 wrote: That KFC looks like it's ready to close down any day. Riding on the bus, a friend of mine thought the place was already gone!!
Gawd KFC if you're sticking around, please give the outside of your place a fresh new coat of paint or something...it won't improve your chicken any, but at least it'll make your place display itself better as still being in business! lol
I hear ya. Though I'm a purist and traditionalist by heart. Something about that original, yet gradually aging and deteriorating look gives some of that nostalgia kick and charm to it! Face With Tears Of JoyDisappointed But Relieved Face

It has quite an ample sized dining area inside though! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Just takes back to the days of youth spent aimlessly away without worry with friends from school and with family. I just prefer things to be as they were around back then. For those like me who grew up in Scarberia for most of our lives, you know what I mean? Winking Face

Don't care much for all of these "hip" and creative spins they keep on doing year after year. Can't even recognize many of these places like used to.

The KFC location that got changed up at Bellamy/Lawrence was one of the other last few older designs, though it got moved to the unit next to M&M's and Pizza Hut. They put that new Tim Hortons where the old KFC was with the drive-thru. Was very drab and meh inside that Tim's. Wouldn't bother going there again.

Don't really mind that retro 80s feel with the fixed tables and chairs on the dining room floors, with the swivel seats on the chairs.

Ah, memories of such that are being phased out now. Bittersweet. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Member
User avatar
Dec 8, 2015
243 posts
125 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
playnicee1 wrote: This is going to be FUN!
Is there really enough room for two chicken joints to be so close together?
Church's chicken is NOW OPEN @ 2510 Eglinton avenue east in Scarborough where the Xpress auto service used to be.
Have a look at how close to Chick n joy they are!! (not far off from Mary Brown's chicken either, lol)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/2500+ ... 79.2576927
And the world's grossest KFC francaise as well.Neutral Face
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16043 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
jemjem9 wrote: And the world's grossest KFC francaise as well.Neutral Face
It seriously looks like the owner of that KFC is planning to close down. I wonder if it'll get renovated into a Taco Bell KFC?
(if it sticks around at all)
Selling something different from what's already in the area would be smart.
Just...don't try doing a Mexican chicken burger.
Church's chicken already has that covered! lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Member
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
I realize this thread is a few months old but another Church's Chicken is opening very soon located at Keele and Sheppard (3314 Keele Street) there is a KFC located a block away at 3777 Keele.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16043 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
bobby621 wrote: I realize this thread is a few months old but another Church's Chicken is opening very soon located at Keele and Sheppard (3314 Keele Street) there is a KFC located a block away at 3777 Keele.
AWW! That's too bad. While that may sound great, it's actually sad because New York Fried chicken was in that exact space. (one of the ma and pa shops)
They had great chicken way back in 2007 (or 2008, or so) but I have not been by there recently to verify if they were still any good in recent times.
I wonder what went wrong?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Member
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: AWW! That's too bad. While that may sound great, it's actually sad because New York Fried chicken was in that exact space. (one of the ma and pa shops)
They had great chicken way back in 2007 (or 2008, or so) but I have not been by there recently to verify if they were still any good in recent times.
I wonder what went wrong?
From what I recall, the place was sold awhile ago and things went downhill, they have another location at Jane and Finch.
The place was in need of a renovation, I guess the owners felt it would be best to invest that money at the Jane and Finch location.
Churchs will do well there, they'll take business away from KFC down the street and Popeyes at Keele and Lawrence and Jane and Finch.
Member
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
Since opening I've gone to the Keele and Sheppard location a few times, I'm impressed, so much better then KFC which is located down the street. Pieces are cut the way they should be, chicken is always hot and moist unlike KFC, which tastes like it's been sitting for awhile.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 20, 2010
3343 posts
1353 upvotes
Can't wait to go to Church's again when it's safe again from COVID-19!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3611 posts
2869 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: Can't wait to go to Church's again when it's safe again from COVID-19!
You're scared to even get takeout?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 20, 2010
3343 posts
1353 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: You're scared to even get takeout?
I'm taking a hiatus on takeout food until further notice. I had a bad experience with picking up a pizza at a store on the last week of March.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5128 posts
1928 upvotes
Toronto
bobby621 wrote: Since opening I've gone to the Keele and Sheppard location a few times, I'm impressed, so much better then KFC which is located down the street. Pieces are cut the way they should be, chicken is always hot and moist unlike KFC, which tastes like it's been sitting for awhile.
I was there for the first time a few days ago, and while the food was good (Church's always is), holy smokes were they ever slow. There were 3 people ahead of me in line and it took 45 minutes, and no one was ordering more than a meal or two. There was actually a lot of food ready, it just took a really long time to get boxed up, I don't know why.

Top