Food & Drink

BIG NEWS! The return of CHURCH'S CHICKEN to Toronto!!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 6:15 am
Tags:
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
Manatus wrote: I was there for the first time a few days ago, and while the food was good (Church's always is), holy smokes were they ever slow. There were 3 people ahead of me in line and it took 45 minutes, and no one was ordering more than a meal or two. There was actually a lot of food ready, it just took a really long time to get boxed up, I don't know why.
I like their chicken but I wouldn't wait that long, maybe they were busy filling takeout orders, regardless, orders placed by customers in your store should be filled before takeout, especially if the drivers haven't arrived to pick them up. They work differently then KFC, they fry abit at a time and more often as compared to KFC who fry chicken to last them hours. These guys do a good job and if they continue, business should pick up, so many people who live within walking distance of that mall. i can just imagine how busy they'll be when Downsview Park begin having summer events during the summer (maybe not this year but the next) Even though were 5 months away, I doubt Ribfest in general will be going on this summer, they usually begin touring May24 weekend.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5134 posts
1938 upvotes
Toronto
bobby621 wrote: I like their chicken but I wouldn't wait that long, maybe they were busy filling takeout orders, regardless, orders placed by customers in your store should be filled before takeout, especially if the drivers haven't arrived to pick them up. They work differently then KFC, they fry abit at a time and more often as compared to KFC who fry chicken to last them hours. These guys do a good job and if they continue, business should pick up, so many people who live within walking distance of that mall. i can just imagine how busy they'll be when Downsview Park begin having summer events during the summer (maybe not this year but the next) Even though were 5 months away, I doubt Ribfest in general will be going on this summer, they usually begin touring May24 weekend.
I wouldn't have waited that long if I'd known, but it was literally just three people in front, so I thought it had to be done soon. What I'm saying is they weren't rammed, it wasn't like there were 10 Uber orders that they were rushing to fill. In fact there was one Uber Eats guy waiting for 10 minutes and getting increasingly annoyed because his bag full of food was sitting behind the counter, he could read the name and everything, and the people working the front were just... doing other stuff, I guess, rather than taking a moment to hand it over. It just felt like it was the first time anyone there had done that kind of job. Which is fine, and kind of hopeful, hopefully it will improve.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3351 posts
1360 upvotes
Can't wait to go back to Church's Chicken as it been months since I've had some of their delicious fried chicken because of the pandemic. Today, was my first time getting takeout food other than pizza, but it was with Popeye's. I've always liked Church's way more than most fast food chicken with the exception of Jollibee's spicy chicken. Craving some Church's now. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Only reason I haven't gone to Church's yet, it involves using the TTC to get to the closest store. Still hesitant on taking public transit. LOL
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
Mr_Fanta wrote: Can't wait to go back to Church's Chicken as it been months since I've had some of their delicious fried chicken because of the pandemic. Today, was my first time getting takeout food other than pizza, but it was with Popeye's. I've always liked Church's way more than most fast food chicken with the exception of Jollibee's spicy chicken. Craving some Church's now. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Only reason I haven't gone to Church's yet, it involves using the TTC to get to the closest store. Still hesitant on taking public transit. LOL
I've got one like a kilometre away. Looking to hit it up myself for their grub!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10865 posts
5978 upvotes
Markham
Mr_Fanta wrote: Can't wait to go back to Church's Chicken as it been months since I've had some of their delicious fried chicken because of the pandemic. Today, was my first time getting takeout food other than pizza, but it was with Popeye's. I've always liked Church's way more than most fast food chicken with the exception of Jollibee's spicy chicken. Craving some Church's now. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

I was in the same boat of "haven't had fried chicken in months". Popped that one on Tuesday at Popeye's.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3351 posts
1360 upvotes
Finally did it and grabbed the 8 pieces of spicy dark meat and 4 biscuits for $19.99 during this super hot day. Absolutely delicious and I will never go this long without having Church's ever again! Popeye's doesn't even come close, especially in the biscuit department. LOL
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16067 posts
3480 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote: Finally did it and grabbed the 8 pieces of spicy dark meat and 4 biscuits for $19.99 during this super hot day. Absolutely delicious and I will never go this long without having Church's ever again! Popeye's doesn't even come close, especially in the biscuit department. LOL
So to be extra clear, Church's spicy chicken is also better than Jollibee spicy chicken?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3351 posts
1360 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: So to be extra clear, Church's spicy chicken is also better than Jollibee spicy chicken?
What's it to you since you * don't do spicy anyway? LOL
Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 10th, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1392 posts
491 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: So to be extra clear, Church's spicy chicken is also better than Jollibee spicy chicken?
The Church chicken in Markham spicy chicken is inconsistent. Sometimes it's pretty spicy, which is what I want, sometimes it's not that spicy.

Jolibee I think they screwed up my order but I did not find their spicy spicy at all. I'll need to try again to confirm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12964 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Church's spicy chicken
I still don't know why they even call it spicy. It's 100% not spicy in the slightest.

Even this dumpster "fire"

Was more sweet than anything.
Those seed things? Sesame seeds. Because you know putting pepper seeds on something that is supposed to be hot is overrated.
I can't even call it a dumpster fire because dumpster fires are hot. This is just a dumpster.

This was the final nail in the coffin for me for Church's.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20653 posts
4757 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ok, enough bickering. "Spicy" is for those who don't normally eat pepper laced food. Think of it as going to a sub place and asking for "hot peppers". It doesn't have the heat of peppers, just a hint of it. If they were hot, people will not buy it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7524 posts
2627 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: Ok, enough bickering. "Spicy" is for those who don't normally eat pepper laced food. Think of it as going to a sub place and asking for "hot peppers". It doesn't have the heat of peppers, just a hint of it. If they were hot, people will not buy it.
Still too spicy for @playnicee1 though.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
death_hawk wrote: I still don't know why they even call it spicy. It's 100% not spicy in the slightest.

Even this dumpster "fire"

Was more sweet than anything.
Those seed things? Sesame seeds. Because you know putting pepper seeds on something that is supposed to be hot is overrated.
I can't even call it a dumpster fire because dumpster fires are hot. This is just a dumpster.

This was the final nail in the coffin for me for Church's.

Yeah, IKR?! That picture looks just gross. Sesame seeds on "spicy" fried chicken??? WTF. Maybe they should top it with some parmesan shavings and parsley on top of that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12964 upvotes
Strafe1 wrote: Yeah, IKR?! That picture looks just gross. Sesame seeds on "spicy" fried chicken???
That's exactly why I'm bitter.
With a name like "8 pepper fury" I'm expecting it to be extra spicy.
A quick glance would tell me those are pepper seeds because why would they be anything else?
WTF. Maybe they should top it with some parmesan shavings and parsley on top of that.
I've actually had this at Wild Wings. It's not bad.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5622 posts
2805 upvotes
Mississauga
Who would expect a national chicken chain to have anything remotely spicy on their menu? You want spicy, go to a local shop.