Food & Drink

BIG NEWS! The return of CHURCH'S CHICKEN to Toronto!!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2019 9:16 pm
Tags:
Jun 23, 2010
153 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
ippon wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 9:52 am
you ain't missing anything.

The only thing good about Mary Brown when it first opened were the potato wedges. You can find them (Mary Brown) in more out of town waspy neighborhoods but they just aren't very good.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2003
1343 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 9:14 am
KFCs are dying all over Toronto?...I have seen 2 (3) closed down already on my route home.

Sheppard/Bayview (will be reopened to Popeye's :lol :)
Midland/Sheppard
and I think another on Steeles in Scarboro

but im seeing popeye's everywhere ;)
(St. Louis wings are also rapidly expanding but only wings of coz)

Correct me if I am wrong, Church's Chicken merged with Popeyes Chicken in 1989 to become the second largest fried chicken chain in the world just behind KFC. Therefore, Popeye and Church's are actually one company, because they are owned by AFC Enterprises in the USA. Somehow they discontinued the partnership with Harvey's in the 2000's, and now they re-open Church's Chicken in Ontario. In BC they have always been stand alone restaurants just like they are in the States.
United We stand Victory in our Hand!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
294 upvotes
Midland
There's a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant just near me in Midland. There were pretty bad, but supposedly they recently changed owners and are very good now. A lot of it depends on the owner/management as to how good these places are. How they take care in deep frying the chicken, etc.
As for the United States having better fast food, well that's obvious if you look at the average American.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
725 upvotes
lasallejai wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 10:54 am
Correct me if I am wrong, Church's Chicken merged with Popeyes Chicken in 1989 to become the second largest fried chicken chain in the world just behind KFC. Therefore, Popeye and Church's are actually one company, because they are owned by AFC Enterprises in the USA. Somehow they discontinued the partnership with Harvey's in the 2000's, and now they re-open Church's Chicken in Ontario. In BC they have always been stand alone restaurants just like they are in the States.

Church's Chicken has had two owners since AFC (AFC still owns Popeye's).
Apr 7, 2003
867 posts
66 upvotes
North York
lasallejai wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 10:54 am
Correct me if I am wrong, Church's Chicken merged with Popeyes Chicken in 1989 to become the second largest fried chicken chain in the world just behind KFC. Therefore, Popeye and Church's are actually one company, because they are owned by AFC Enterprises in the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church%27s_Chicken
"Church's was owned by AFC Enterprises, along with Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits and Cinnabon through the end of 2004, when it was sold to Arcapita (formerly Crescent Capital Investments)"
"On August 10, 2009, San Francisco private equity firm Friedman Fleischer & Lowe bought Church’s Chicken from Arcapita"
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1348 posts
148 upvotes
rpgr wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 10:30 am
The only thing good about Mary Brown when it first opened were the potato wedges. You can find them (Mary Brown) in more out of town waspy neighborhoods but they just aren't very good.

My local Mary's is at Albion and Finch, which is about as far away from waspy as you can get without a can of Raid.

At any rate, I need to grab something from Home Depot tonight, so I'll make a stop in and see if lasallejai's experience was an aberration or what we should expect from a Canadian Church's.
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
156 upvotes
GTA
What's the verdict on Chubby Chicken via A&W? This sounded interesting when it was mentioned here about a month ago.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
987 upvotes
N/A
rpgr wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 10:30 am

my friend took me, he was raving about it, so i tried it out last year, and definitely not impressed. was not impressed with their wedges at all. just very average.
i thought they were american, so i was looking forward to a good ol' south biscuit, but as surprised of their newfie roots.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4360 posts
488 upvotes
willdacanucker wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 9:02 am
Fast food up here completely sucks compared to the US counterparts.(one of the bad things they do so damn awfully well) That is why I am not so excited about Churches coming up here. The exception I am willing to try is when Buffalo Wild Wings opens. Although, I am not holding my breath for the quality there either. Also, I refuse to pay KFC prices. When I could either get a 24 of beer or a bucket of chicken for the same price, shizzle, that chicken is out.

In the US, Buffalo Wild Wings isn't very good & their prices are actually expensive, so I'm not excited at all about them coming over.
Jun 23, 2010
153 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Is it any wonder US has the highest obesity rate than anywhere around the world? Their fast food actually tastes good. :lol:

I wonder what would happen to the obesity rate if they were forced to use our recipes.

On the flip-side, outside of New York, we have 'em beat in the taste of regular (read non-fast-food) restaurants.

@ Fanboy

Heh, first time I've heard of a Mary Brown in non-waspy places (I know of only the ones by Dixie or was it Dixion by the airport and in Whiteby/Pickering). Not that I'd go there anyways.

As for KFC, I really like the gravy but for no good reason. Must be laced with some addicting drug :lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
rpgr wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 3:37 pm
As for KFC, I really like the gravy but for no good reason. Must be laced with some addicting drug :lol:
i heard it's a packaged powder, but they mix in bits of leftover chicken scraped from the fryers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
987 upvotes
N/A
rpgr wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 3:37 pm

definitley +1.
my favourite gravy. it actually tastes better than US KFC gravy.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
135 upvotes
KFC gravy is pretty good lol, don't know what they put in it though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
987 upvotes
N/A
Rainne wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 4:17 pm
KFC gravy is pretty good lol, don't know what they put in it though.
the packaged powder monty613 mentioned is a fine mixture of coke and heroine with a dash of meth.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7723 posts
732 upvotes
lasallejai wrote:
Sep 15th, 2010 7:00 pm
Today I deliberately went down to try out this new Church's Chicken restaurant for lunch with a friend of mine. Well, prices are a lot more higher than in the States. We both ordered the 3 piece combo that came with 2 large pieces and a drum stick, a drink and a small mashed potato. Well, the chicken pieces were room temperature, but tender and moist. The mashed potato was good---nice and hot, really hot. Soft drink was not bottomless, because we asked for a refill and they said NO! For $6.49 plus tax I am not sure it is worth my while to go there for their chicken, but if I got coupons I probably would. If the chicken was hot when served to us it would have been good. We both thought the chicken pieces had been sitting for quite some time due to lack of business. I do not think too many people know their existence, and the location is definitely not prime. We drove around for 15 minutes before we found a parking spot and the restaurant is not close to any subway station. I actually took a few pictures of the place, but I am too lazy to post them here to show you guys, because I am not too excited about this church's Chicken of ours in Toronto. I look forward to our next trip down to the States in October for another good meal from one of the Church's Chicken restaurants down there.

Thanks for the review. I'm surprised at how much a meal costs considering they're probably using Maple Lodge (not Maple Leaf) chicken. If you ever have the chance to stand on a street when a Maple Lodge truck drives down with cages full of chicken waiting to be slaughtered, you wouldn't want to eat chicken so soon.