Food & Drink

BIG NEWS! The return of CHURCH'S CHICKEN to Toronto!!

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2019 6:19 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3254 posts
503 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
HP_John wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 1:57 pm
In the US, Buffalo Wild Wings isn't very good & their prices are actually expensive, so I'm not excited at all about them coming over.

Well, when I worked for Anheuser Busch, BWW was one of my corporate accounts and I had the opportunity to eat at more than a few of them. Granted some where better than others, but it was still good for the price and competition they had. However, this was going on 7 years ago now.(ffs, time sure is flying :confused: ) They very well may have changed since then.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13092 posts
1749 upvotes
Toronto
wolverine07 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 11:46 am
What's the verdict on Chubby Chicken via A&W? This sounded interesting when it was mentioned here about a month ago.

I tried this the first time at the A&W in Bayview village and loved it! It was a nice thick, juicy piece of chicken, sauce, lettuce, etc.

I went back there a month later and got some chicken that look like it was flattened by an 18 wheeler and dry. I then tried the Chubby chicken at 2 other locations and had the similar experience: Pickering Town Centre, Cobourg (outside the mall)

Bottom line: Don't try it as it is awful and A&W is salty like hell!
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
2621 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
I heard a lot of good things about this restaurant because I'm sick of eating at kfc and popeye even though they're 100x better than kfc.
Aug 5, 2009
296 posts
haha wow really. i use to remember they were in the same restaurant as Harvey's
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4561 posts
615 upvotes
Taking my GF their tonight, what a lucky girl! Deep fried chicken on a Friday night date, awesome! LOL

Will report back on if it tastes as good as I remembered 10 yrs ago.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17810 posts
877 upvotes
HP_John wrote:
Sep 17th, 2010 7:28 pm
Taking my GF their tonight, what a lucky girl! Deep fried chicken on a Friday night date, awesome! LOL

Will report back on if it tastes as good as I remembered 10 yrs ago.

My prediction: You're getting lucky tonight

Churches Chicken FTW
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
991 upvotes
N/A
duckdown wrote:
Sep 18th, 2010 12:41 am
My prediction: You're getting lucky tonight

Churches Chicken FTW
oh man, this would have been so much funnier, if he went to A&W for the CHUBBY chicken....
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4561 posts
615 upvotes
LOL, you guys are a riot. Biscuit was good but not as good as Popeyes IMO. Fries were OK, not bad but not special. Mash potato was excellent, not usually a mash potato fan. Chicken was very good, but too oily IMO. Juicy, moist, tender, but too oily. They seemed to have a good flow of traffic at 10-11 PM. Me & my GF shared a 3 piece combo w fries, mash, biscuit, & drink for about $7 + tax = $8 roughly. That included a free order of fries. My GF just isn't much of a eater (1 pc & mash), hence that being enough for the 2 of us. $8 for a Friday night dinner date, hell yeah! I told her to dress up for the special occasion (yes, I'm a loser).

I'd go again, but wish the fries were a bit crisper (my GF actually liked it just the way it is), & the chicken wasn't so oily. Chicken was very good. Gonna try the chicken wings next time, 5 pc combo w a side & drink is about $5 + tax, good price IMO as long as the wings taste good
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
156 upvotes
GTA
hightech wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 9:34 pm
I tried this the first time at the A&W in Bayview village and loved it! It was a nice thick, juicy piece of chicken, sauce, lettuce, etc.

I went back there a month later and got some chicken that look like it was flattened by an 18 wheeler and dry. I then tried the Chubby chicken at 2 other locations and had the similar experience: Pickering Town Centre, Cobourg (outside the mall)

Bottom line: Don't try it as it is awful and A&W is salty like hell!

That's a sad commentary on some fast food establishments, at first try they are good, then the quality inevitably falls after that...Thanks for the heads up.

P.S Looking at their menu I thought they sold drumsticks, theighs, and ribcages. Does anyone know if they do?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
156 upvotes
GTA
HP_John wrote:
Sep 18th, 2010 4:35 am
LOL, you guys are a riot. Biscuit was good but not as good as Popeyes IMO. Fries were OK, not bad but not special. Mash potato was excellent, not usually a mash potato fan. Chicken was very good, but too oily IMO. Juicy, moist, tender, but too oily. They seemed to have a good flow of traffic at 10-11 PM. Me & my GF shared a 3 piece combo w fries, mash, biscuit, & drink for about $7 + tax = $8 roughly. That included a free order of fries. My GF just isn't much of a eater (1 pc & mash), hence that being enough for the 2 of us. $8 for a Friday night dinner date, hell yeah! I told her to dress up for the special occasion (yes, I'm a loser).

I'd go again, but wish the fries were a bit crisper (my GF actually liked it just the way it is), & the chicken wasn't so oily. Chicken was very good. Gonna try the chicken wings next time, 5 pc combo w a side & drink is about $5 + tax, good price IMO as long as the wings taste good

You're one lucky guy, if they could only clone your GF. Men would have it alot easier. ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2006
1381 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
Never tried Church's before, but maybe I should?

I finally tried Chicken 'N Joy recently, and must say I'm super-glad I've avoided it for over 30 years. Chicken tasted like the poor cousin of KFC (more bland). Everything else on the menu was pooor too (horribly chemical taste in the biscuits which were mutant huge, and the salads were a festival of vinegar). The one saving grace were their taters, which were big FAT piece of potato deep fried. But you can only eat a few before realizing you probably just ate two potatoes as a side item. And one side dish alone aint no reason to visit a restaurant.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
545 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
aliikram wrote:
Sep 18th, 2010 10:53 am
Never tried Church's before, but maybe I should?

I finally tried Chicken 'N Joy recently, and must say I'm super-glad I've avoided it for over 30 years. Chicken tasted like the poor cousin of KFC (more bland). Everything else on the menu was pooor too (horribly chemical taste in the biscuits which were mutant huge, and the salads were a festival of vinegar). The one saving grace were their taters, which were big FAT piece of potato deep fried. But you can only eat a few before realizing you probably just ate two potatoes as a side item. And one side dish alone aint no reason to visit a restaurant.
Isn't it odd that I have a different reaction at Chick 'N Joy (Whites & hwy 2, or Morningside & Kingston Rd.)
Chicken (dark pieces) has always been hot and crisp; French fried potatoes fresh but no real flavor, maybe it's the oil; superb fresh biscuits, even with their bland gravy; friendly service from hard working Filipinos at the Whites Rd location. I've always avoided the slaw and potato salad, but they have added mashed potatoes which I'll try.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
991 upvotes
N/A
damn this thread.
getting a craving for fried chicken again.
marinating chicken right now, so i can make skillet fried chicken.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8071 posts
1193 upvotes
Toronto
ippon wrote:
Sep 18th, 2010 4:09 pm
damn this thread.
getting a craving for fried chicken again.
marinating chicken right now, so i can make skillet fried chicken.

What recipe you use ippon? Do you use buttermilk in your recipe? I been meaning to try the Southwestern style wings from family circle.

http://www.familycircle.com/recipes/chi ... d-chicken/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
991 upvotes
N/A
gh05t wrote:
Sep 18th, 2010 8:59 pm
What recipe you use ippon? Do you use buttermilk in your recipe? I been meaning to try the Southwestern style wings from family circle.

http://www.familycircle.com/recipes/chi ... d-chicken/

and yes it was delicious and glorious!
here i awake after an hour and half of slumber!
damn that chicken knocked me out... my worthy adversary!

anyway, i guess what i use is a modified southern recipe. i don't have a set recipe for anything i make... i don't write anything down, and hardly measure anything. i really think watching two fat ladies and the urban peasant when i first started cooking at my first year in univ influenced me to just just a little bit of that and a handful of this. and i don't use buttermilk. not because i don't want to, but because for me taking fried chicken is almost always an impulse thing, just like today, when that craving kicks in for that FRIED goodness... when i feel like it, i just make it on the spot. i don't want to go to a store to pick up a half liter of buttermilk just for fried chicken. everything else, i almost always have kicking around the household, chicken, corn flour, various seasonings, etc.

instead of buttermilk, i use milk or cream (which i always have) and i 'mimic' butter milk by intoducing a bit of acid with lime juice. i let chicken soak in it with cooking wine, garlic, ginger, S&P, chilli powder, parsley, marjoram, etc for a couple of hours. i don't have the patience to let it sit overnight, even though it will yield a better result.
and after that, i dredge it in a mix of well salted corn flour (not corn starch, flour), and panko. and fry in the skillet and keep turning the pieces. and today i made potato wedges to go along with it. while the chicken was cooking, i sliced up the taters and popped them in the microwave to fully cook them. (this is a good trick to not get too much oil soaked into the potatoes) and as soon as the chickens are done, i dredge the taters in the same dry mix and pop them into the fryer to brown.

and it turned out really good today.