Food & Drink

BIG NEWS! The return of CHURCH'S CHICKEN to Toronto!!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2019 9:16 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7015 posts
1488 upvotes
Does anyone know how late this place stays open?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4358 posts
485 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2010 10:22 am
You're one lucky guy, if they could only clone your GF. Men would have it alot easier. ;)

Yup, I'm a lucky one. To the question of hours, the staff say they usually close at 11 PM, but that it depends on if the restaurant is busy or not. Like if there seems to be a good flow of traffic then they may stay until 12, or if its a dead day, there's a possibility of 10 PM. There was no concrete times posted outside the door as to hours.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6502 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Someone post a pic of the location or it did not happen. Otherwise, I will be going there after work.
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7858 posts
1115 upvotes
Toronto
ippon wrote:
Sep 18th, 2010 9:44 pm
and yes it was delicious and glorious!
here i awake after an hour and half of slumber!
damn that chicken knocked me out... my worthy adversary!

anyway, i guess what i use is a modified southern recipe. i don't have a set recipe for anything i make... i don't write anything down, and hardly measure anything. i really think watching two fat ladies and the urban peasant when i first started cooking at my first year in univ influenced me to just just a little bit of that and a handful of this. and i don't use buttermilk. not because i don't want to, but because for me taking fried chicken is almost always an impulse thing, just like today, when that craving kicks in for that FRIED goodness... when i feel like it, i just make it on the spot. i don't want to go to a store to pick up a half liter of buttermilk just for fried chicken. everything else, i almost always have kicking around the household, chicken, corn flour, various seasonings, etc.

instead of buttermilk, i use milk or cream (which i always have) and i 'mimic' butter milk by introducing a bit of acid with lime juice. i let chicken soak in it with cooking wine, garlic, ginger, S&P, chilli powder, parsley, marjoram, etc for a couple of hours. i don't have the patience to let it sit overnight, even though it will yield a better result.
and after that, i dredge it in a mix of well salted corn flour (not corn starch, flour), and panko. and fry in the skillet and keep turning the pieces. and today i made potato wedges to go along with it. while the chicken was cooking, i sliced up the taters and popped them in the microwave to fully cook them. (this is a good trick to not get too much oil soaked into the potatoes) and as soon as the chickens are done, i dredge the taters in the same dry mix and pop them into the fryer to brown.

and it turned out really good today.

Very nice recipe there. I wanted to see what spices you use. I also tend to do my own twist on the basics to suit my tastes. Usually more spiciness via pepper.

First time I've seen someone use corn flour though.

I used to have the same problem buying a whole carton of buttermilk using a little only and freezing the rest which I would eventually throw out. when making my homemade buttermilk I use vinegar instead of lime juice for the acid.

The bulk barn has buttermilk powder btw. Bought some recently but haven't used any yet.

Martha Stewart has pretty good looking southern fried chicken. I noticed she brine's and uses lots of fat and lard as the frying medium as was traditional before places started using non hydrogenated vegetable oil.

I have also noticed she doesn't use a lot of seasons like marjoram,paprika etc in this pan fried chicken recipe but I like her technique to get the Popeyes type crust by frying in the skillet first an then popping in her oven fried chicken recipe. Commercial franchises like KFC use different temperatures to get the original recipe and extra crispy effects.

will also try your technique when I make sweet potato fries.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/sou ... ed-chicken
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6502 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
anyone with pictures who is there right now? I am tempted to go there after work. google maps and church's website is not helping
Heat 43-0-0
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1348 posts
148 upvotes
What do you need pictures of? The chicken? The employees?

At any rate, I finally had a chance to try the chicken on Thursday and... meh. I can't knock it for size, I got the three piece and really wish I had brought my wife to share. The little paper "chicken basket" could only hold two pieces and the third had to sit off to the side on napkins. Really, just giant pieces.

The chicken was hot and juicy, so I think one of the other posters just had a bad batch. It was so juicy and steamy that the coating started to turn soggy. That was unfortunate as there isn't that much flavour to the chicken. Now, I'm pretty timid, so I didn't get the spicy. Maybe that would have made the difference.

I got mashed potatoes as a side and, contrary to what HP_John posted, I thought they were absolutely terrible. A small cup of potatoes from flakes with this drizzling of "gravy" on top that was served blistering hot. In a way, that was a boon as I was unable to taste the first 1/4 of the cup. Once my tastebuds recovered from heatstroke, though, I realized I was attempting to eat the inedible and threw the rest away.

The staff was very friendly and attentive. I believe the owner was behind the counter as well, which may have something to do with it.

Pros:
- Easy to get to if you are in the area.
- LARGE pieces of chicken.
- Very decently priced.
- Friendly staff.

Cons
- Only combos available?
- Chicken is kind of bland.
- Those mashed potatoes are ass.

Due to the flavourless chicken, I'd have to rank Church's below Mary Brown's in terms of my favourite fried chicken establishments. Ahead of KFC regular recipe, but behind KFC extra-crispy (which always seems to be bigger pieces, when you can find them).

Final grade: C+
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Aug 29, 2010
6 posts
toronto
I dropped by Saturday night and got two pieces of chicken only for takeout. I asked for a breast and a thigh. They have no problems ringing in individual pieces (so you don't need to buy it in a combo) but the chicken packers were too funny, there was four of them working the counter and the conversation went something like this: what's a thigh? is this a breast? I don't know what this is. Hey you (talking to the deep fryer guy in the kitchen) - which one is the thigh? No, that's the breast! There's no breast in the regular coating, do you want spicy instead? I said sure. I'll take a regular thigh and a spicy breast to compare. When I got home, the chicken was still hot, juicy and crispy. The coating had no flavour. Not even the spicy one (which turned out to be the thigh not the breast so they still didn't figure out which was which!!). I had to double taste the spicy to make sure it was a different coating, it was so faint you could barely tell. So in terms of flavour, KFC still wins. In terms of big and juicy, Church's win. And in terms of combo flavour with decent size, Popeye wins.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6502 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2010 9:30 pm
I thought this thread was worthless without pics so I took one today. The chicken pieces were MASSIVE and I got so full off of two pieces. I thought it was better than Popeyes but my friend hated it lol.

[IMG]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5931/img0028p.th.jpg[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

THANK YOU!! I will now get some on my day off!! :)
Heat 43-0-0
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1348 posts
148 upvotes
Just wanted to update the thread. I stopped in there on Monday evening and ordered a three-piece white meat combo. They rang me up and I waited for my chicken. They selected the pieces and put them in my basket and placed it on my tray when I noticed that one of the pieces was a leg. I figured that maybe it's like KFC where if you request white meat, they'll give you a breast instead of a thigh and then everything else is up for grabs.

"Can I switch this out for a wing?", I asked about the leg. They said it was no problem and she went hunting for a wing. She couldn't find one, so she grabbed another large piece and put it in the basket. "I'll give you another one of these. Hope you're hungry!", she said. I looked closer at my basket and saw what I thought was three rib pieces, instead I had three thighs.

"Um.. I ordered white meat", I said. "Sorry, that's all we got" was the reply. Now, I should mention as well that there is an AUTOMATIC white meat upcharge for a 3-piece combo, and no offer to refund that charge. I wasn't asked if I would mind waiting while they made some fresh pieces either. They had plenty of thighs (as in, maybe fifty of them between regular and spicy). They were going to cook some more wings, but didn't offer to substitute out my thighs for wings or anything.

No, I didn't throw the chicken back at them or demand a refund. Yes, I realize I could have. Instead I let Church's management know that this is not acceptable. As well, I wanted to pass word onto my fellow RFDers that this place -- while I do like the chicken -- needs to get its act together, and quick, or else any hopes they have for expansion will be just pipe dreams.
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Aug 13, 2008
646 posts
42 upvotes
toronto
i find it funny that people go crazy over salty foods, addiction anyone? :lol:
church's chicken is too salty and really plain in my opinion.
I gave it 3 chances at 3 different locations because my son is a zombie like most of you, after the third time i smacked him upside his head and told him to smarten up. Since then he eats at POPEYE'S, Bloor/Dufferin. When that location opened the pieces used to be bigger but since then they turned the kfc way and now have small chicken, same with every other fast food chicken place, especially since most of those places would buy bulk from MAPLELODGE farms.

My opinion they all taste like crap but at least popeyes have better tasting sides.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6502 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone provide the exact address that is the written no the receipt with anyone who went there?
Heat 43-0-0
Nov 3, 2010
62 posts
mississauga
Ogata wrote:
Nov 20th, 2010 5:26 pm
Can anyone provide the exact address that is the written no the receipt with anyone who went there?

You really need the exact address?

I recall someone in this thread saying it was the Southwest corner of St Clair and Dufferin. That is pretty exact I think as it lead me to it.

I tried this chicken, did not write on RF for a while as it was okay, nothing to go screaming down the street about, but hey it's different than popeyes and kfc. and yes the pieces are pretty big, had the 2 piece with 1+1 1 reg and 1 spicy. I liked the spicy one.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1416 posts
16 upvotes
usa
been so many years since we had church's chicken. it used to be like 5 mins drive from our house. i stopped eating fried chicken for years now (except nuggets, tenders, and buffalo wings). been craving for church's, but they are from where we live now, like at least 30 mins away. fried chicken won't be the same after driving 30 mins back home to eat it. it's located at a not so good neighborhood, so eating in is not an option.
Nov 3, 2010
62 posts
mississauga
gta1216 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2010 11:32 pm
been so many years since we had church's chicken. it used to be like 5 mins drive from our house. i stopped eating fried chicken for years now (except nuggets, tenders, and buffalo wings). been craving for church's, but they are from where we live now, like at least 30 mins away. fried chicken won't be the same after driving 30 mins back home to eat it. it's located at a not so good neighborhood, so eating in is not an option.

not so good neighbourhood? That area is far from ghetto if that is what you are referring to, it's just old, it's not run down or anything, it's a nice area, there are no nasty groups of druggies hanging around at 3am or anything.