Food & Drink

BIG NEWS! The return of CHURCH'S CHICKEN to Toronto!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2022 12:58 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
7180 posts
243 upvotes
kimmv wrote: Wrong, while fried chicken is soul food you don't have to be black to make it taste like soul food.

While in Europe there was this hole in the wall fried chicken joint and it put some Southern US places to shame.

The man breaded the chicken in front of me and freshly cooked it in hot oil.

To this day I still remember and crave the taste of that fried chicken! Simply delicious.

Church's is okay but for the best taste get them to cook it fresh, don't take the stuff sitting under the heatlamps.

Church's fries also bother me, I love that they are crinkle cut but they are always undercooked and mushy! If they only let the fries cook for 1-2 minutes longer!

I doubt the chicken Church's uses would come from the US as they actually use whole fresh chickens and cut it up into pieces the day of that they cook it.

Probably using better quality chickens.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1609 posts
1433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I saw these everywhere in Vancouver. I wonder what its like, but so far, these are my preferences for fast food chicken: Mary Browns > Popeye > KFC

KFC is just awful nowadays.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
Church's Chicken is opening soon at 531 Yonge St and 33 Harbour Sq as per the menu as the St Clair/Dufferin location.
Last edited by LNahid2000 on Jul 18th, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17377 upvotes
Markham
Anyone like the fried chicken that you can buy at the Jamaican stall at CNE Foods of the world?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Mar 18, 2015
45 posts
58 upvotes
Angus On
There's a Church's chicken in Brampton at hwy 10 & Ray Lawson next to Wok of Fame.
Opened back in November I think
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote: Church's Chicken is opening soon at 531 Yonge St and 30 Harbour St as per the menu as the St Clair/Dufferin location.
Thank you for bumping this thread and giving us this update. Greatly appreciated because I live downtown and will be going to both locations for sure.

Over a week ago, I was at the Salsa on St. Clair street festival both on Saturday and Sunday. Since it wasn't far from the St.Clair/Dufferin location I had it twice. Yummy. IMHO, I definitely like their chicken more that Popeye's, but below Jollibee's spicy chicken. Woohoo more good fried chicken for downtown Toronto! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Apr 6, 2009
329 posts
68 upvotes
PigsRTastey wrote: There's a Church's chicken in Brampton at hwy 10 & Ray Lawson next to Wok of Fame.
Opened back in November I think
Is it any good?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: Church's Chicken is opening soon at 531 Yonge St and 30 Harbour St as per the menu as the St Clair/Dufferin location.
The 531 Yonge st location puts them up against the Fry. (close by)
Good thing the Fry refuses to sell 1, 2, or 3 piece dinners, since they're more of a half or whole chicken place.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
gr8dlr wrote: Anyone like the fried chicken that you can buy at the Jamaican stall at CNE Foods of the world?
in general... I find fried chicken from JAmaican places GOOD.

Beryls pepper pot.
That place near kingston rd and gallowway.. I think is twice is nice.

Those are the ones i've tried... and 2 / 2 both are GREAT. It reminds me of popeyes... but less dry and less spicy. However it is fried to perfection. But its okay its not as spicy seasoning like popeyes... b/c West Indies style hot sauce is waaaaay better! I Rather dip it into that orange hot sauce they have.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: The 531 Yonge st location puts them up against the Fry. (close by)
Good thing the Fry refuses to sell 1, 2, or 3 piece dinners, since they're more of a half or whole chicken place.
The Fry and Church's Chicken serve completely different markets.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2017
1859 posts
2808 upvotes
Any idea when the 30 Harbour St location will open?
There is a new Popeyes opening at 208 Queens Quay W, so it interesting how the Harbourfront area with all its condos had no chicken places for so long to 2 new ones all of a sudden...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: The Fry and Church's Chicken serve completely different markets.
How so? It's the fried chicken business.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Bebo123 wrote: Any idea when the 30 Harbour St location will open?
There is a new Popeyes opening at 208 Queens Quay W, so it interesting how the Harbourfront area with all its condos had no chicken places for so long to 2 new ones all of a sudden...
Popeye's is popping up all over the place lately. They're also opening up in Scarborough near Kingston road and Lawrence, which may or may not take a bite out of Chick'n'joy's business.
It'll be interesting to see how Popeye's does up against Church's chicken @ 30 Harbor street.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: How so? It's the fried chicken business.
One is a fast food place that serves standard fast food chicken like KFC, Popeyes and Jollibee. The other is a sit down restaurant where chicken is served family style and comes with various Korean sides. Most people also eat their fried chicken with beer at The Fry, and it's much more expensive.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: One is a fast food place that serves standard fast food chicken like KFC, Popeyes and Jollibee. The other is a sit down restaurant where chicken is served family style and comes with various Korean sides. Most people also eat their fried chicken with beer at The Fry, and it's much more expensive.
Thank-you. That's a valid point indeed. Not leaving a tip at the Fry might also be very rude, while Church's chicken does not expect such a thing.
The Fry is still (also) in the "to go" business though...

Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8086 posts
3872 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Thank-you. That's a valid point indeed. Not leaving a tip at the Fry might also be very rude, while Church's chicken does not expect such a thing.
The Fry is still (also) in the "to go" business though...

Most sit down restaurants have a to go business. But it takes a lot longer to get your food than it would at a fast food restaurant.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote: Most sit down restaurants have a to go business. But it takes a lot longer to get your food than it would at a fast food restaurant.
I fully agree. It sounds like The Fry will most likely promote dine in specials with Korean beer of some sort.
Or maybe have large photos in the window showing the spicy chicken sauce and their other food choices. (ie soup)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
LNahid2000 wrote: Church's Chicken is opening soon at 531 Yonge St and 33 Harbour Sq as per the menu as the St Clair/Dufferin location.
This afternoon I walked by 531 Yonge Street (just south of Wellesley on east side of Yonge) to see how far along the store would take to be ready. It was completely vacant, rundown and no signs of Church's Chicken plastered anywhere. If I were to take a guess it will take a minimum of 3 to 6 months before we see an opening at this location. After my pass by, I walked to Popeye's for some spicy chicken. LOL
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1440 posts
327 upvotes
Stopped in to Church's (St. Clair/Dufferin) last night and they had chicken tenders as their daily special (à la Popeye's). Same price as Popeye's Monday tenders offer - 3 strips for $4.99.

Now, I do enjoy Popeye's strips with some spicy mayo for dipping, so I was curious to see how the Church's strips stacked up.

I can say that they were the absolute best tenders I have ever had in Toronto. Though they were pulled from the hopper/warmer, they were fresh (which might be key) and very tasty.

I usually get mild from Popeye's and use the spicy mayo to add heat and flavour. At Church's I got 2 mild and one spicy without any sauce (dipping sauce was extra - definitely something they should correct).

The mild were fine but the spicy one was absolutely delicious. It was just as good as the tenders we used to get at Texas Roadhouse, my previous favourite.

Plus, despite being the same price the pieces were probably twice the size as the Popeye's tenders.

The only fast food chicken place that rivaled Church's tenders for size, in my experience, was Quik Chik (their tenders were HUGE) but they were no rival in the taste department.

I'm already planning to try them again next Wednesday to see if this was just a fluke. Popeye's might have lost my tender business (though they still have my spicy mayo business).
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12875 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
is it just me or whenever i got to Churchs (Dufferin/StClair) i find the chicken taste kind of weird? fishy taste of sort? or its the oil they use?
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)