Food & Drink

BIG NEWS! The return of CHURCH'S CHICKEN to Toronto!!

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2019 6:19 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1427 posts
19 upvotes
usa
ChinatownFriedRice88 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2010 9:22 am
not so good neighbourhood? That area is far from ghetto if that is what you are referring to, it's just old, it's not run down or anything, it's a nice area, there are no nasty groups of druggies hanging around at 3am or anything.
i'm from the usa... i was referring to the location where we used to live, not the one in OP.
Penalty Box
May 8, 2006
1094 posts
99 upvotes
rpgr wrote:
Sep 14th, 2010 3:37 pm
Meh,

CC was mediocre but better than KFC.

Popeye's is a pale shadow of it's former US self. Sorry but Muslim guys aren't black. Yeah I know it sounds kinda racist but screw PC, Popeye's is supposed to be New Orleans style and the Muslim guys who operate Popeye's North of the 49th parallel just don't make it the way Southern US black's do.

It's the same crap where Chinese guys do Sushi joints but it always pales in comparison to authentic Japanese.

When it's your own culture growing up, you tend to do it better than mass production imitators that try to be entrepreneurs.

It's not 'racist', but I think what you're trying to say is that the browns who run the Popeyes up here aren't black. Certainly blacks could easily be Muslim, you're confusing the two. For example, I am brown and Muslim, but I doubt I could make fried chicken like, well, T-Pain (who is black and Muslim).

What you're trying to say is true, though. It's like the Indo-Pakinized shawarma joints, or the masses of Chinese and Korean-owned pseudo-Japanese places. It isn't anywhere near the same.

That said, they all have their market and purpose.
Aug 13, 2008
646 posts
42 upvotes
toronto
Imran DeRoy wrote:
Nov 21st, 2010 12:49 pm
It's not 'racist', but I think what you're trying to say is that the browns who run the Popeyes up here aren't black. Certainly blacks could easily be Muslim, you're confusing the two. For example, I am brown and Muslim, but I doubt I could make fried chicken like, well, T-Pain (who is black and Muslim).

What you're trying to say is true, though. It's like the Indo-Pakinized shawarma joints, or the masses of Chinese and Korean-owned pseudo-Japanese places. It isn't anywhere near the same.

That said, they all have their market and purpose.
This is true. The bottom line is that only people involved in other people's culture truely understand what their food and customs are about.
There's a greek place on Queen Street near the CHUM building and it's one of the worst places in Toronto according to my son's girlfriend and her family.
We stopped in there one Sunday afternoon and ordered a lot of food from souvlaki to lamb. Not only was it so bland and lacking in any traditional flavourings like oregano, mint, garlic but it was really salty and they DID NOT offer greek salad as a side dish.

Apparently they were more middle eastern than greek cuisine which is misleading and the guys cooking behind the counter were not greek and it showed in their food even though they claimed they had experience in greek cuisune. It was a joke and I was totally embarassed for treating them to such a crappy place. Never again.
Next time I'll ask if there are any actual greek cooks in the place or I won't eat there. :lol:

Code: Select all

http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/healthygreek
Oct 8, 2005
762 posts
43 upvotes
not the same as the old churches it just tastes like popeyes :( I wish they brought the fried okra back tho!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2007
1157 posts
16 upvotes
Fanboy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 11:24 am
I was coming home from my in-laws the other day and was driving along St. Clair and I absolutely couldn't believe my eyes - there, at the SW corner of St. Clair and Dufferin was a Church's Chicken!! My jaw dropped.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to stop in but the place was open and there were customers inside.

I can understand being a little gun-shy after the Vaughan Chick-Fila false alarm, but this was most definitely a real, honest-to-goodness Church's Chicken, logo and all.

Hopefully we can get a report from someone "on the scene".

[IMG]http://www.atlantadowntown.com/_files/i ... hicken.jpg[/IMG]

Truly fantastic chicken! Prices are comparable to Popeyes.

5.49 - 2pc, side, drink
6.49 - 3pc, side, drink

They have ribs, chicken tenders, and a variety of wraps and burgers. Never tried any of those. They have a sampler for all their fried food. They also have basic ice cream and sundae and stuff, but from the counter, i can see "out of order" on the ice cream dispenser.

The breading is crunchy but you gotta get the chicken that just came out of the fryer. The ones that's been sitting there for a while don't taste that good. The chicken is very moist. Not dried like KFC.

They have mild and spicy. I took the spicy 3 pc, and my mouth were fine for the first 2 pieces, then my mouth was on fire by the 3rd piece.

They sell individual pieces and they are big portions! After my 3 pc meal, i had to walk to downtown Toronto in order to walk off the fullness. It's not the healthiest thing to eat, but it does taste great. Reminds me of Roy Rogers without having to travel to the NY state thruway to near Syracuse.

For some reason, i think they import their chicken from the US. Can someone confirm the taste ? They don't seem to be on the same caliber as KFC or Popeyes in Canada. Reminds me of the KFC and Popeye in the US. I've never had Church's in the states before.

Any questions, just ask ~

Is there any other Church's chicken in the area ? The store employees i talked to didn't seem to know.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1360 posts
156 upvotes
canadien99 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2010 12:48 am
For some reason, i think they import their chicken from the US.

The last time I was there (the night of the white meat charge for 3 thighs) one of the crew was lunching in the restaurant and was speaking to another customer. According to her, the chicken comes from Maple Lodge Farms (like most chicken restaurants in Toronto).
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9921 posts
1038 upvotes
Vancouver
Church's Chicken closed down at Arbutus and Broadway :( it was probably a good thing but still.
Mar 4, 2011
1 posts
Brampton
I was so excited when I saw Church's chicken today at St. Clair and Dufferin. I checked and realized it is the only location that came back so it will be a little drive to order but well worth it. I found it in Chicago last summer it it was disgusting. Canada definately makes it better. It has been many years since i had it and I am heading down there tomorrow to pick some up. This is the best thing (fast food) since I discovered Monforts Chicken. :) Anyone who hasn't tried it - it is well worth the ride. Will be letting my friends know again. ;)
Mar 31, 2005
778 posts
123 upvotes
deniservp wrote:
Mar 5th, 2011 12:25 am
I was so excited when I saw Church's chicken today at St. Clair and Dufferin. I checked and realized it is the only location that came back so it will be a little drive to order but well worth it. I found it in Chicago last summer it it was disgusting. Canada definately makes it better. It has been many years since i had it and I am heading down there tomorrow to pick some up. This is the best thing (fast food) since I discovered Monforts Chicken. :) Anyone who hasn't tried it - it is well worth the ride. Will be letting my friends know again. ;)

Do yourself a favour and don't bother trying the chicken. This chicken is no where near the flavour and quality to what it was before when they were in Harvey's locations. I used to eat Church's chicken often, alot more than I should have, even desperately driving around all over the GTA looking for the last Harvey/Church's, as they closed out all Church's locations. I spoke to most of the staff and on duty managers at most of the locations and also knew a district manager. I was told that sales were very good, even growing better than expected and taking off at these combined locations (much better than Harvey's only locations) but Church's was eating into the Cara's bottom line, as the sales at Swiss Chalet locations suffered. Well, we all know what happened next.

Maybe, I'm really hoping that they just messsed up at the start and will get better.
As with KFC, Popeyes, Mary Browns,.....any restaurant, some locations are much better than others.
I'm really hoping that they will expand near home, real soon too and hopefully have better chicken by then............but for now.......yuck!
Dec 11, 2008
32 posts
7 upvotes
Wrong, while fried chicken is soul food you don't have to be black to make it taste like soul food.

While in Europe there was this hole in the wall fried chicken joint and it put some Southern US places to shame.

The man breaded the chicken in front of me and freshly cooked it in hot oil.

To this day I still remember and crave the taste of that fried chicken! Simply delicious.

Church's is okay but for the best taste get them to cook it fresh, don't take the stuff sitting under the heatlamps.

Church's fries also bother me, I love that they are crinkle cut but they are always undercooked and mushy! If they only let the fries cook for 1-2 minutes longer!

I doubt the chicken Church's uses would come from the US as they actually use whole fresh chickens and cut it up into pieces the day of that they cook it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
6003 posts
139 upvotes
kimmv wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2011 12:35 am
Wrong, while fried chicken is soul food you don't have to be black to make it taste like soul food.

While in Europe there was this hole in the wall fried chicken joint and it put some Southern US places to shame.

The man breaded the chicken in front of me and freshly cooked it in hot oil.

To this day I still remember and crave the taste of that fried chicken! Simply delicious.

Church's is okay but for the best taste get them to cook it fresh, don't take the stuff sitting under the heatlamps.

Church's fries also bother me, I love that they are crinkle cut but they are always undercooked and mushy! If they only let the fries cook for 1-2 minutes longer!

I doubt the chicken Church's uses would come from the US as they actually use whole fresh chickens and cut it up into pieces the day of that they cook it.

Probably using better quality chickens.
Jul 25, 2008
836 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
I saw these everywhere in Vancouver. I wonder what its like, but so far, these are my preferences for fast food chicken: Mary Browns > Popeye > KFC

KFC is just awful nowadays.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7099 posts
1604 upvotes
Church's Chicken is opening soon at 531 Yonge St and 33 Harbour Sq as per the menu as the St Clair/Dufferin location.
Last edited by LNahid2000 on Jul 18th, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6798 posts
2049 upvotes
Markham
Anyone like the fried chicken that you can buy at the Jamaican stall at CNE Foods of the world?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Mar 18, 2015
18 posts
14 upvotes
Brampton, ON
There's a Church's chicken in Brampton at hwy 10 & Ray Lawson next to Wok of Fame.
Opened back in November I think