• Jul 21st, 2020 11:04 am
[OP]
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal

Big problem with Bell Hub 2000

I've got a Bell Hub 2000 all-in-one unit (modem/router/access point) that I have trouble with.

Issue: None of the wired ports give internet access.

I'll reboot the modem with all network cables unplugged. Wait 10 min, plug all the devices (desktop, pos terminal, switch, etc).
I get internet for a brief moment (like under a minute), then boom no internet and it stays that way.
The wifi is rock solid all the time though, ironically!

I have POS terminals to operate on ethernet.
I'm strongly considering breaking the contract for this reason alone. (Bell can't fix it, they've replaced the modem like 3 times in 6 months now...)

Anyone else have a suggestion?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16635 posts
5197 upvotes
Toronto
A few things to look at when these type of things happen:

- Can you connect ANY wired device to see if there is internet access? If your Point of Sale (POS) terminals are configured to a static IP or gateway instead of DHCP, you won't be able to get connectivity. If you have a TV or some other device, try connecting it to the router to make sure that you can connect.

- Are you running any firewall rules or software that is limiting your connection? Sometimes that can also cause issues.

- Are there any devices that you are restricting the IP address on? I know on the Rogers modem, I can setup MAC address filtering so other devices won't connect unless I allow all devices to connect.

- Have you disabled any of the wired connections on the modem? Sometimes after a reboot, there is brief access until the modem turns this off and then you won't get access. Look to see if you see any lights on the ethernet ports and if any of them are flashing.

- After replacing the modem, how long does the wired connectivity work before you experience issues?
[OP]
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
hightech wrote: A few things to look at when these type of things happen:

- Can you connect ANY wired device to see if there is internet access? If your Point of Sale (POS) terminals are configured to a static IP or gateway instead of DHCP, you won't be able to get connectivity. If you have a TV or some other device, try connecting it to the router to make sure that you can connect.

- Are you running any firewall rules or software that is limiting your connection? Sometimes that can also cause issues.

- Are there any devices that you are restricting the IP address on? I know on the Rogers modem, I can setup MAC address filtering so other devices won't connect unless I allow all devices to connect.

- Have you disabled any of the wired connections on the modem? Sometimes after a reboot, there is brief access until the modem turns this off and then you won't get access. Look to see if you see any lights on the ethernet ports and if any of them are flashing.

- After replacing the modem, how long does the wired connectivity work before you experience issues?
Thanks

I have a desktop, a pos terminal, server, and a Poe switch plugged to the modem, all on DHCP.
No modification to the modem at all. No firewall.
The lights on the Ethernet ports on the back of the modem are lit up either green or amber.

Bell tech support was able to tell me the correct device name for a VoIP phone (plugged in the switch), so there is communication somehow being blocked 🤷‍♂️

Changing the modem seemingly doesn’t change anything.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4182 posts
2452 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What components do you have directly connected to the Bell modem? Is there any other switch or router inbetween the devices? The POS terminal, is that run on DHCP or Static IP? If it's static, do you have that properly configured on the router's end?

And if you can be more elaborate as to what is connected to the Bell modem directly, it would be great to identify what is causing the issue.

If everything on your network uses DHCP, then I'd suggest a one by one approach. Plug only one component at a time and see the lease timeout for DHCP. If one device, let's say PC stays on for a long amount of time, then you know it's not the issue.

Hope this helps!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
lamboman wrote: What components do you have directly connected to the Bell modem? Is there any other switch or router inbetween the devices? The POS terminal, is that run on DHCP or Static IP? If it's static, do you have that properly configured on the router's end?

And if you can be more elaborate as to what is connected to the Bell modem directly, it would be great to identify what is causing the issue.

If everything on your network uses DHCP, then I'd suggest a one by one approach. Plug only one component at a time and see the lease timeout for DHCP. If one device, let's say PC stays on for a long amount of time, then you know it's not the issue.

Hope this helps!
Thanks!
Answered most above.
Connections on Bell modem:
LAN1: desktop DHCP
LAN2: POS terminal DHCP
LAN3: server DHCP
LAN4: POE unmanaged switch (to which 2 voip phones DHCP are plugged)

This really stumps me. I’ve been messing with networks for like 20 years.

There’s an alarm system in this unit on this phone line, could it be interfering?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1700 posts
1169 upvotes
Barrie ON
Open a command prompt on the PC (desktop) and issue the "ipconfig /all" command.

Check that you have been assigned a DHCP address on the same subnet as the router. Also check what DNS server IP has been assigned and verify that this IP is indeed a DNS server or use 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, which are known to be DNS servers.

Try pinging the router's LAN IP (192.168.2.1 if still default).

Try pinging google.com by name

Try pinging google.com by one of it's IP addresses (e.g. 172.217.164.238)

Run a tracert to google.com to verify you are getting onto the Internet.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
644 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Just curious......why not call bell and either open a ticket or request a HH3000? HH2000 is way dated at this point.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
[OP]
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
willdacanucker wrote: Just curious......why not call bell and either open a ticket or request a HH3000? HH2000 is way dated at this point.
Hub3000 is not yet approved for business (and this is a business)
Bell can't figure out what the problem is! Many tickets were opened. Modem was replaced multiple times. No change.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
644 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
TomDrake81 wrote: Hub3000 is not yet approved for business (and this is a business)
Bell can't figure out what the problem is! Many tickets were opened. Modem was replaced multiple times. No change.

????!!! Serious? Even the HH3k is old tech now. So much so, I expect a replacement (I hope) any time now.

At any rate, how is your alarm set up on the system? Direct wired into the wall jack? Connected to the modem?
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4182 posts
2452 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Why don't you get a secondary router and attach it to the Bell router?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
@[wildacanucker]

not sure about alarm system, I’m not on premises atm.

@Rick007
Haven’t had time to investigate that far. But VoIP phones said “sending DHCP request...”, so likely they weren’t given an IP from modem.

The owner gave up and finally going with cable instead.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16635 posts
5197 upvotes
Toronto
My guess is that the subnet might be interfering with devices or the ip address range might be the same as something that is on wifi. Believe or not, these types of things should not happen with hardware but you can never be sure. Also, are you allowed to connect things to the ethernet ports? Years ago, I remember Bell used to disable the ports so it would look like things were connected, lights were on but no connectivity.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36184 posts
9442 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Did you try setting static IPs for everything?

192.168.2.xxx

If that works, you probably have DHCP disabled on the Home Hub 2000
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4182 posts
2452 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just for some FYI, these modem/router from Bell/Virgin or alike are the worst! If you can't get it resolved, I'd suggest looking for another provider.

If you can get Rogers in the building give them a try. If Bell is your only option, then try a third party maybe? I have a third party for my parents business and it's been rock solid so far.

All they have is a POS cash register system, and Alarm/security camera. The company is called TNEXT. Don't know what you're paying but we are paying $48/month for 10/1 unlimited.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)