• Aug 12th, 2021 11:17 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12981 posts
7080 upvotes

Big scratch, options? Cost?

Well, bound to happen eventually I guess. Wifey got a big scratch down the side of the Jeep. 2 panels unfortunately. Oh well.....

Other than the obvious fill it with touch up, what am I looking at here for a proper fix? Or even one where you have to look close to see it?
Images
  • IMG_20210811_195549.jpg
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7886 upvotes
Kitchener
Scraped against a rock while off-roading? It's a Jeep, it's meant to get scratched.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16695 posts
11844 upvotes
Toronto
touch up paint will make it look worse.

I'd bring it to a detailer who can wet sand for an assessment before trying paint

EDIT: assuming compound and a buffer won't do it (which they should try first)
Last edited by Swerny on Aug 12th, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12981 posts
7080 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: Scraped against a rock while off-roading? It's a Jeep, it's meant to get scratched.
The butt end of my youngest's hockey stick, unfortunately.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12981 posts
7080 upvotes
Swerny wrote: touch up paint will make it look worse.

I'd bring it to a detailer who can wet sand for an assessment before trying paint.
Ya, i am not going to try touch up. I was able to get some of the white out, so it isn't as noticeable now, but still would like it better.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7886 upvotes
Kitchener
Gutty96 wrote: The butt end of my youngest's hockey stick, unfortunately.
Tell everyone it was a giant rock, you'll get more Jeep cred.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5265 upvotes
Mississauga
Doesn't look like a Wrangler so Jeep cred would be limited. :)

Does the scratch go right down to the primer or metal? If so, only options are to touch up (could end up horrible looking) or repaint the panel ($$).
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4585 posts
1826 upvotes
GTA
shutterbug wrote: I bet you could reduce it 80% with polishing compound.
This. I had a scratch on my previous car that I needed to minimize before selling it and on the advice of a colleague I tried the Meguires Compound and I was completely amazed. Took all of 3-4 minutes and the scratch was gone. For something deeper you may need something more professional for but $10 I'd certainly give it a go.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12981 posts
7080 upvotes
mrweather wrote: Doesn't look like a Wrangler so Jeep cred would be limited. :)

Does the scratch go right down to the primer or metal? If so, only options are to touch up (could end up horrible looking) or repaint the panel ($$).
No, I don't think it does, I think it is just in the clear, maybe a bit into the paint, as the white came out with some Fukken ( brand name, not a curse! Been put in the box for this one before ) wax, and a micro fiber cloth, but still quite noticeable, just not from 15ft away anymore.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1678 posts
1137 upvotes
Manitoba
Painters might have the skill and steady hands to make that better even with touch up pen or just learn to ignore that scratch for now...
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1059 posts
403 upvotes
$200-$300

Had something similar and went to my preferred shop to fix - PM for details

I can't live with those type of scratches, need my cars mint.
Banned
Mar 6, 2018
14 posts
8 upvotes
Hockey stick? Should be just a light clear coat scratch or might just be paint transfer from the stick (like a shoe mark on tiled floor)

Try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound first, usually an excellent go to product. If you need more aggressive use something like turtle wax rubbing compound.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12981 posts
7080 upvotes
oxymoron29 wrote: Hockey stick? Should be just a light clear coat scratch or might just be paint transfer from the stick (like a shoe mark on tiled floor)

Try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound first, usually an excellent go to product. If you need more aggressive use something like turtle wax rubbing compound.
An older cut-down stick, relegated to road hockey at this point, so it was missing the plastic plug in the top.

Will definitely try some compound, any risk of making it worse? I have never gone beyond the Fukken wax on scratches.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I have never heard of the fukken wax before.

There's a lot of other things in my life that masquerade as if they are from the Sam manufacturer though.

As others have said, try some compound and see. I cleaned up some dirty scuffs from an elderly member of the community that drove by feel in their land yacht and marked up my back door. Followed up with a good wax (although it wasn't fukken)
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16695 posts
11844 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: An older cut-down stick, relegated to road hockey at this point, so it was missing the plastic plug in the top.

Will definitely try some compound, any risk of making it worse? I have never gone beyond the Fukken wax on scratches.
If you aren't experienced with using rubbing compound, be be careful using it on a very shiny, very black, very visible part of the car.

Compound is abrasive and you can easily swirl/scratch the paint if you use too much pressure.