Cell Phones

Which of the big three *really* has the best coverage?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 9:01 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16229 posts
2910 upvotes

Which of the big three *really* has the best coverage?

Or does it matter any more? We plan on coast to coast travel (eventually) and I never want to lose service.
Automatic down-votes: Eufy, D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
4 replies
Nov 1, 2015
616 posts
299 upvotes
BC
For BC lower mainland I've been with Bell/Telus, Rogers/Fido, and Shaw/Freedom. Bell/Telus for me seemed to have the best coverage when it came to rural areas that were just slightly out of city limits. Rogers/Fido which I have now seems to do better when inside concrete buildings especially in downtown. When I was with Shaw/Freedom service was horrible all around lol.

For traveling coast to coast you will lose signal no matter who your with especially once you get into the mountains. So don't expect to be covered all the way.
Dec 6, 2020
937 posts
1041 upvotes
JAC wrote: Or does it matter any more? We plan on coast to coast travel (eventually) and I never want to lose service.
Use cellmapper.net to see which carrier has service on which bands on your intended route.

If you're flying and staying in urban areas and major tourist sites, there's very little difference between Bell-Telus (who operate an integrated network) and Rogers.

If you're driving cross-country, there are all-carrier coverage gaps in the BC mountains and in some other areas. Check cellmapper. If you must have coverage in these areas, buy or rent an Iridium satellite phone.

If you're going into backcountry areas, get an EPIRB.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20745 posts
6217 upvotes
GTA
Definitely depends on area. My spouse has Rogers/Fido and I have Telus/Koodo. Mostly comparable but she gets reception in our condo level 1 parking lot, underground and in the elevator, and I get nothing, I'm pretty jealous haha.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16229 posts
2910 upvotes
Thanks, folks, that's what I needed to know.
Automatic down-votes: Eufy, D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.