• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2017 6:45 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2016
144 posts
11 upvotes

Big trees and lot split in Toronto

I have a big tree in my residence lot. I applied for lot split with opb, it get approved.

Without removing the big tree, the builder cannot big houses in one of the lot. The tree is not an ash tree.

What can I do in this situation?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5951 posts
6138 upvotes
Toronto
Incorrect. The builder *can* build big houses on the lots without damaging the tree, it will just be harder and more expensive for the person paying the bills.

You will basically have to submit a tree removal request, there will be a period for comment and feedback, and city will decide either way.

Yes I am one of those neighbors who providers detailed, rational feedback in such cases that the builder/financiers are just cheap and/or lazy and removing the tree is an unneeded step that benefits only their short term profit and convenience and no one else.

In my experience in my neighborhood, the tree removal request are denied about half the time. And if you kill the tree anyway, it's basically big fine and semi-permanent stop-work order in place.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10118 posts
5362 upvotes
Paris
I always tell customers "You can do almost anything with enough time and money"

"I don't want to build with the tree there" is not the same as "I can't build around the tree". They could literally build the tree into the middle of the house.

Edit: I was exhibiting at the Toronto Home Show a number of years ago and there was a post in the way of them building a full house. I watched about 400 guys build a house around a support pole at the international centre over 3 days. It was incredible.

I have also been on set with DIY shows. They get that work done in 3-4 weeks by having more hands (and more cost if you were paying)