• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2017 12:05 pm
[OP]
Jan 17, 2015
44 posts
11 upvotes
Gloucester, ON

Big Yellow Bag soil is expensive and full of weeds

I bought a load of garden soil from Big Yellow Bag in Ottawa and was disappointed to find it was full of weeds and also you don't get a very large amount of soil for the amount of money you pay for it. Sure you get a cute yellow bag but it isn't worth almost $150. You can do better getting soil from traditional sources or better yet getting a truck and picking up your own.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8969 posts
1910 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Much better to just buy from a garden center. Depending where you are it is ~$25 /cuyd for triple mix or $15/cuyd for top soil. Delivery is usually around $50-70 depending on how much you get (size of truck needed).
Jun 29, 2012
153 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
b33zlebub wrote: ^^ Do you have to be a Halton Hill resident to get the free compost?
Says free for Halton region residents so probably need to show some kind of ID to prove you live in the region.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7063 posts
4044 upvotes
Mississauga
Peel Region charges for its compost.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12589 posts
3767 upvotes
GTA
ykzflyer wrote: Says free for Halton region residents so probably need to show some kind of ID to prove you live in the region.
Yes, drivers licence or utility bill.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2169 posts
871 upvotes
Toronto
b33zlebub wrote: ^^ Do you have to be a Halton Hill resident to get the free compost?
Its not just for Halton Hills.. Its if you live in the Region of Halton.. ..

Burlington, Oakville, Milton.. Halton Hill's pretty much.. I dont know the actual borders..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9754 posts
2004 upvotes
Toronto
I think all bulk soil is a gamble with regards weeds/weed seeds, especially the ones run by municipalities.

Reason being, people throw their pulled weeds with flowers/seeds and all in with other materials destined to be composted.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8969 posts
1910 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
gh05t wrote: I think all bulk soil is a gamble with regards weeds/weed seeds, especially the ones run by municipalities.

Reason being, people throw their pulled weeds with flowers/seeds and all in with other materials destined to be composted.
Municipal compost usually isn't bad. It is properly composted with proper time and temperature to kill most weed seeds.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
UndesiredUsername wrote: I bought a load of garden soil from Big Yellow Bag in Ottawa and was disappointed to find it was full of weeds and also you don't get a very large amount of soil for the amount of money you pay for it. Sure you get a cute yellow bag but it isn't worth almost $150. You can do better getting soil from traditional sources or better yet getting a truck and picking up your own.
Funny you mention this. Was just looking at a similar product from Greeley Sand & Gravel for the same price and also came across the Big Yellow Bag.

I don't understand what the benefit of these bags are vs. having a truck dump a load on your driveway. Specifically for Greely, the prices are the same for 1 cubic yard whether it's in the bag or dumped on the driveway, and I personally think it would be more hassle to get it out of the bag vs. digging it up off the driveway.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16942 posts
5443 upvotes
London
Bag can be used a little at a time, weather is not a factor. Dump truck delivery is all or nothing
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
l69norm wrote: Bag can be used a little at a time, weather is not a factor. Dump truck delivery is all or nothing
Not sure I understand. You can get a truck load delivered in any amount, 1, 2, 3, 4, cubic yards, etc. half truck or full truck. Dump it on the driveway, and if it is dirt or sand that could wash away in heavy rain, just cover it with a tarp.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3571 posts
721 upvotes
Hamilton
I have got a couple bulk deliveries in past, SO much cheaper then those bags! never will buy those
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
adblink182 wrote: I have got a couple bulk deliveries in past, SO much cheaper then those bags! never will buy those
Yup... Nothing like having 8 tonnes of pea gravel dumped on the driveway that needs to get hauled to the backyard. It was at that moment I said #$@& the wheelbarrow and bought a trailer for our lawn tractor!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3571 posts
721 upvotes
Hamilton
I have a corner house with no side sidewalk, took out a section of fence and they backed almost right in and dropped the 7 yards almost right in the garden lol
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2169 posts
871 upvotes
Toronto
ykzflyer wrote: Says free for Halton region residents so probably need to show some kind of ID to prove you live in the region.
I just got back.. The compost is pretty good.. I just finished distributing it in my gardens etc.

They dont ask for ID.. They just asked where you are from. I said Burlington and that was it.. So if you are from Mississauga and want to try going you could lie and say you are from Oakville or something. I dont know. They didn't ID me. I did two trips. 4 rubbermaid containers each trip. Lined them with garbage bags.. Once dumped --> no mess :)
Apr 18, 2017
1 posts
UndesiredUsername wrote: I bought a load of garden soil from Big Yellow Bag in Ottawa and was disappointed to find it was full of weeds and also you don't get a very large amount of soil for the amount of money you pay for it. Sure you get a cute yellow bag but it isn't worth almost $150. You can do better getting soil from traditional sources or better yet getting a truck and picking up your own.
I am distraught to hear that you were unhappy with your BigYellowBag! I signed up for this forum specifically to reply to your comments.

We go to great lengths to ensure that our Black Garden Soil is of the highest possible quality. We've come up with a formula that truly grows everything better, unfortunately even the weeds. We also run our company under the mandate that "we are in the business of making people happy". If you purchased a BigYellowBag and the product was anything less than stellar, let me know in an email to mail@bigyellowbag.com. We will do our best to address the issue as soon as possible, whether that be with a replacement bag, or a refund. Our customers understand and appreciate the benefits BigYellowBag provides, and I invite you to see what the 7800+ customers have said about our business on the homepage of our website: https://www.bigyellowbag.com/

Again, to UndesiredUsername, I urge you to reach out to us with photos of your concerns so that we can come to a resolution!

To everyone in this thread, all the best and happy gardening!
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1249 posts
613 upvotes
TORONTO
I don't know about the free Municipal soil. My wifes coworker grabbed a bunch last year and guess what lovely bonus he got with the soil?...... Termite ants.... a whole wackload. I'm not sure how much he spent on fumigating and trying to prevent them from spreading to his house. But I'm sure it's enough money to buy quality soil.