Investing

Bigger Bubble, TSLA or BTC ?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2021 7:14 pm
Tags:

Poll: Which one crashes first?

• Total votes: 151. You have voted on this poll.
Bitcoin

41%
Tesla

59%

Poll ended at Jan 15th, 2021 9:21 am

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3317 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto

Bigger Bubble, TSLA or BTC ?

85 replies
Feb 11, 2007
660 posts
355 upvotes
East
If you think Bitcoin is a bubble, most likely you just haven't spend the time educating yourself. Will there be a correction? Sure. But this is more of a paradigm shift of money and state being seperated.

Centralized government controlled money where it can be infinitely printed and devalued vs Bitcoin a natively global, digital, decentralized, scarce asset. (This is bigger than the internet)

From Paul Tudor Jones one of the greatest hedge fund managers in the world: “It’s like investing with Steve Jobs and Apple or investing in Google early.”

You don't need to own a whole bitcoin, it is the best performing major asset class since inception 13 years ago, it has the first mover advantage, most trust, most powerful global network of computers securing its blockchain, most decentralized, biggest institutions backing it. It is volatile so you want to have a long time horizon and best way to start investing is to dollar-cost average (DCA) on a weekly or monthly basis. Don't time the market.

Cryptocurrencies on the other hand are more of a venture bet, they are usually pre-mined, have founders and a company behind them so not as decentralized or compareable to Bitcoin.

Listen to this podcast with Michael Saylor a rocket scientist / software engineer, he recently put over half a billion dollars into Bitcoin. He's thinking long term about Bitcoin's future. He has also dedicated his domain www.hope.com as a Bitcoin Resource.

Billionaires and Institutions who are starting to get into Bitcoin:

Paypal
Fidelity
Square Cash App
DBS Bank (Singapore's biggest bank)
Jack Dorsey (CEO Twitter/CashApp)
Stanley Druckenmiller
Paul Tudor Jones (Manages 9 billion in assets)
Bill Miller
Abigail Johnson (CEO Fidelity 3.3 trillion in assets)
Mike Novogratz
Michael Saylor (Billionaire CEO of Microstrategy)
Chamath Palihapitiya (Former senior executive at Facebook)

We are still VERY EARLY in term's of Bitcoin's life cycle, it could eventually disrupt all of finance. Hardcore Bitcoiners believe 1 Bitcoin will eventually be in the millions of dollars. The thing about being early in something is everyone else will think you are crazy.
Last edited by jcdogg on Jan 8th, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2347 posts
1820 upvotes
Ontario
I don’t think either is a “bubble” per se. I believe TSLA will dominate the auto market. They will make the best cars and it will continue to dominate the competition for the foreseeable future. The issue is there are a lot of future gains priced into the stock. It is likely ahead of itself and may pull back, but I don’t foresee some sort of epic collapse.

BTC is probably not a bubble either. It’s price is quite subjective but can conceivably go much much higher. It is due for a big pullback though but I would see that as a buying opportunity.

There are much worse investments in the market. I’m not sure why TSLA and BTC are being centred out. There are companies with no earnings, no product, just an idea. Where are those on the poll?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11005 posts
9488 upvotes
Where is both for $200 Alex?
Sep 23, 2010
376 posts
150 upvotes
TORONTO
BTC does not have any fundamentals it has to eventually measure up to. It could be a zillion $ or $1. TSLA will not go to a zillion $ so eventually it can be objectively over-valued. Psychologically, I think it will get to the $1T market cap and then Elon will probably start talking it down.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1216 posts
593 upvotes
Where's the option for real estate?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11005 posts
9488 upvotes
n0thing wrote: Where's the option for real estate?
Durham Region real estate ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3317 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote: Durham Region real estate ;)
no joke, I almost threw it in the poll originally .... haha
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11005 posts
9488 upvotes
porticoman2 wrote: BTC is not a bubble (about to) burst, is not a stock like TSLA.

31 Dec 2021 prediction

TSLA $1500 with a few to many profit taking along the way.

BTC USD could top $100,000 with a few gyrations along the way

porticoman2 wrote: BTC is not a bubble (about to) burst, is not a stock like TSLA.

31 Dec 2021 prediction

TSLA $1500 with a few to many profit taking along the way.

BTC USD could top $100,000 with a few gyrations along the way

CNBC is talking about Tesla and Bitcoin every 5 mins now. They just discussed retail investors are now pouring into both and when that happens thats a classic top being formed... could take days or weeks but retail investors are always the ones left holding the bag

.when it starts doing that its days are nearing the end...you want fomo mania and a big blow off top to signal a top is forming.

I know your a more experienced fella, you know how this story is ending and it isnt Tesla $1500 or Bitcoin $100k.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11005 posts
9488 upvotes
Hey look CNBC is talking about Tesla and Bitcoin again -- these guys cant help themselves.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3317 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote: Hey look CNBC is talking about Tesla and Bitcoin again -- these guys cant help themselves.
totally normal Face With Tears Of Joy

Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
4025 posts
3846 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
If you think about Bitcoin it's essentially a religion - has a messiah (Satoshi) with an origin story (Genesis block), has a sacred text (white paper), has prophets and proponents all over the internet, has people that are deeply committed and have strong faith. They believe there is a fiscal reckoning coming, and that the only way to survive is to hold bitcoin, and holding bitcoin will deliver them to the fiscal promised land after the reckoning.

I am long bitcoin but do I believe all of this? No. But, that doesn't mean I won't happily profit from it.

These beliefs are incredibly sticky and create a high level of conviction. As the religion spreads and more are converted it increases demand. Supply is fixed, and Bitcoiners who are committed don't necessarily sell, so demand is only increasing with time. This creates increasing price. As price increases, more people become interested and more people convert, so it's a virtuous cycle where the higher the price goes, the higher it's likely to go into the future.

Yes, it doesn't create cash flow. Yes, it's largely reliant on the great fool theory. But isn't this what makes art, collector cars, fine wines, etc valuable?

You could argue many of the religious aspects apply to Telsa as well (religion of Musk) but a major difference is that the share count isn't fixed, and supply can increase as time goes on.
Keep calm and go long
Aug 16, 2015
788 posts
286 upvotes
Neither is a bubble. jpow and his printer will keep blowing in more air. Bitcoin and tesla need to be pumped indefinitely now for national security reasons! Too big to fail.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11005 posts
9488 upvotes
kilburn305 wrote: Neither is a bubble. jpow and his printer will keep blowing in more air. Bitcoin and tesla need to be pumped indefinitely now for national security reasons! Too big to fail.
ARKK should also be on that protected list! ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3317 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto
I honestly believe that because millenials cant afford a house, this is what they are doing with their money....

Aug 16, 2015
788 posts
286 upvotes
Correct everything that arkk holds is now nationalized by the central bankers printing press.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
4025 posts
3846 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Timely tweet this morning Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Keep calm and go long
Feb 11, 2007
660 posts
355 upvotes
East

First NFL player getting paid in Bitcoin, there will be more. You are operating life at a lost if you don't own some Bitcoin, cash in your bank is getting inflated away by government.
Last edited by jcdogg on Jan 9th, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.