Sports & Recreation

is this Bike good for regular street biking?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2022 4:59 pm
13 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14729 posts
10872 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Heavy bike

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Member
Dec 4, 2009
490 posts
378 upvotes
24” wheels, this is a bike for a child.
Jr. Member
May 3, 2020
171 posts
69 upvotes
Tell me more about this Northrock you saw at Costco? Road bike? Which location?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2018
1606 posts
1614 upvotes
Toronto
Looks are a personal choice however i have always found the look of the FAT TIRE bikes to be wanting, however i see the benefit of being wide to not fit down sewer grates. Not the bike for me, however aesthetically others may love the look.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
15876 posts
10571 upvotes
Toronto
Todd96srv wrote: 24” wheels, this is a bike for a child.
this.

Why is this in Home & Garden?
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Looks are a personal choice however i have always found the look of the FAT TIRE bikes to be wanting, however i see the benefit of being wide to not fit down sewer grates. Not the bike for me, however aesthetically others may love the look.
fat bikes were designed for use on soft surfaces. Think sand and snow, not sewer grates.
johnsena wrote: Tell me more about this Northrock you saw at Costco? Road bike? Which location?
Northrock XCF fat bikes have been showing up in stores.....i saw 10 of them at Leaside/Overlea Sunday afternoon.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
7294 posts
5078 upvotes
Toronto
As other have mentioned, fat Tire bikes can be ridden on street, but it is less efficient at doing so.
It is designed for better control on non paved surfaces.

Another thing to keep in mind - you would never be able to use standard bus bike racks, as the fat Tire will not fit.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6925 posts
4199 upvotes
Between Countries
Yeah, kind of heavy at 48 lbs. But perfectly adequate for riding around the immediate neighborhood, local grocery store, or a 10km ride. I think I’d be miserable taking this on any longer rides, though.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 17, 2002
7592 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote: Northrock XCF fat bikes have been showing up in stores.....i saw 10 of them at Leaside/Overlea Sunday afternoon.
Saw some too in Mississauga, no price marked on them. I was actually pleasantly surprised, 1x10 Deore so not some Tourney level 2x7 or something. Maybe the price is higher than I was thinking.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
15876 posts
10571 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote: Yeah, kind of heavy at 48 lbs. But perfectly adequate for riding around the immediate neighborhood, local grocery store, or a 10km ride. I think I’d be miserable taking this on any longer rides, though.
The jasper is about 38 pounds not 48
frogger wrote: Saw some too in Mississauga, no price marked on them. I was actually pleasantly surprised, 1x10 Deore so not some Tourney level 2x7 or something. Maybe the price is higher than I was thinking.
The XCF is $630
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6925 posts
4199 upvotes
Between Countries
Swerny wrote: The jasper is about 38 pounds not 48
OK, still not light at all by any stretch. OK for short rides but not fun for longer ones, especially with the fat tires.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2020
538 posts
165 upvotes
Saw just one Northrock XC27 n my local costco for $499. Is this good?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2187 posts
575 upvotes
nowhere2010 wrote: Saw just one Northrock XC27 n my local costco for $499. Is this good?
Its good for the price. I personally wouldn't want suspension for a bike I'm mostly riding paths and streets with though.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
2447 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
Ovintiv Inc. OVV

- just noticed Ninepoint Energy Fund has a stake.
-$16.22 million Scion Asset Management's 13F Portfolio: 8.05% this fund is managed by Michael Burry (The Great Short)

I may buy but was looking for smaller cap exposure in energy.

Top