• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2020 8:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
May 26, 2020
2 posts

Bike for heavier rider

Hi! I'm looking to buy a bike for a heavier rider (250-275 pounds), he's 5.9. I've checked online and many of the brands recommended seems to be available in US only and shipping is pricy! I don't see weight limits on the models at Sportcheck or MEC. I'm in Ottawa, Thanks for your advice!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4968 posts
1494 upvotes
Toronto
You should mention how much you're willing to spend and what is the purpose of the bike?
[OP]
Newbie
May 26, 2020
2 posts
I don't really care. What I'd like to avoid is waiting 8 weeks for shipping, so if it available "locally", I'd be willing to spend more. But, to your point, anywhere under 1200$.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
15873 posts
10562 upvotes
Toronto
JenniferB29893 wrote: I don't really care. What I'd like to avoid is waiting 8 weeks for shipping, so if it available "locally", I'd be willing to spend more. But, to your point, anywhere under 1200$.
That’s a good budget. Bike shops are open, I would go there for advice and a test ride
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1880 posts
2115 upvotes
Swerny wrote: That’s a good budget. Bike shops are open, I would go there for advice and a test ride
This.. Go to a real bike store rather than SportCheck or Canadian Tire as they will have more knowledge and experience in for this sort of a bike.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1494 posts
995 upvotes
Manitoba
Lots of bike options for Clydesdales at that budget. Look into hardtails from good quality brands and you should be set to go.
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
5157 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
JenniferB29893 wrote: Hi! I'm looking to buy a bike for a heavier rider (250-275 pounds), he's 5.9. I've checked online and many of the brands recommended seems to be available in US only and shipping is pricy! I don't see weight limits on the models at Sportcheck or MEC. I'm in Ottawa, Thanks for your advice!
I am also a heavier rider, and when I was around 265 lbs, and 5'9, I used to bike alot as a hobby. Most mountain bikes are capable of carrying heavier riders, though I recommend investing in one thats a bit more expensive, around $300-400 range because I feel that they may be more sturdy. I used to ride around on a cheap $100 bike and it held out well for more than 3 months, but one time when I was biking up a small incline, I put too much power into the pedals and bent the axels out of shape. So to get around this, I recommend some techniques, always shift down into lower gear when going up hill. Avoid getting off the seat to pedal, and only use higher gears on flat surfaces. Another good idea is to learn proper bike maintenance, which is good for any rider but especially for heavier riders who tend to beat up their bikes more often.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
13782 posts
17869 upvotes
Vancouver
The weak point for heavy loads in any bike are the wheels. Properly built wheels with the proper spoke tension shouldn't give you any trouble. But even the best quality wheels will fail if they aren't properly built. A department store won't have the knowledge or equipment to check and adjust the spoke tension. But a good bike shop will, so make sure you get your bike there and have them check and adjust the wheels.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2010
1618 posts
947 upvotes
Toronto
The name of the category for heavy riders is clydesdale.

Mountain bicycles will carry the heavy weight with no issue. Also hybrids bicycles like the Giant cypress who carry 700c wheels will hold the 250lbs weight no problem.

Frame material go with aluminum or steel and you can ask for double wall wheels that have a better weight capacity.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2070 posts
1404 upvotes
Toronto
Go with a mountain/hybrid bike with a front suspension. You may need to swap out the knobby tires for slicks if you mainly cycle on paved surfaces.

Aluminium frame is the way to go.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
48392 posts
11680 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Any mountain bike will do really. Unless he next level heavy like 400lbs maybe then you gotta think about it. They have touring bikes actually... they are meant to carry a weeks worth of food and camping equipments.

Theres Also cargo bikes that can carry a fridge. So thag could probably easily handle a 500lb man.

Image
You can even sit in the front and join him for a ride.
Make sure you wear a helmet! Not that you would crash, thats horrible.
Just saying, its basic bicycle safety.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2070 posts
1404 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Any mountain bike will do really. Unless he next level heavy like 400lbs maybe then you gotta think about it. They have touring bikes actually... they are meant to carry a weeks worth of food and camping equipments.

Theres Also cargo bikes that can carry a fridge. So thag could probably easily handle a 500lb man.

Image
You can even sit in the front and join him for a ride.
Make sure you wear a helmet! Not that you would crash, thats horrible.
Just saying, its basic bicycle safety.
I can't imagine going uphill or downhill on one of these things.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)