• Aug 21st, 2021 1:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4374 posts
3217 upvotes
Edmonton

Bike Rack for Garage

Looking for recommendations for storage for a couple of bikes. Trying to find something not too obtrusive. If anybody can post pics & advise where you got yours, that would be helpful as well.

My garage is drywalled so looking for something ideally on the wall storage, not a pulley or other ceiling system.
10 replies
Mar 17, 2004
494 posts
56 upvotes
I settled on something similar to bellow. Its approx $100 from amazon but you can easily make one out of a 48-72" length of 2x4 and some bike hooks for about $25 or less depending on what material you have on hand. It used up the smallest amount of wall space but since the bikes are mounted perpendicular to the wall, they will stick out the height of the bike, and narrow your parking space if you mount it on a side wall instead of @ the end. Wife and kids can easily lift and replace the bikes.
711zQEkq+WL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Another solution was to mount the bikes singly, either horizontally or vertically along the wall. Either with 1 bike above another, or all in a row. I found while that configuration didn't interfere with parking (bikes stood out as far as the width of the handle bars, it took up a lot of wall space and in the 2x2 config, the kids and wife would need to lift the bikes over their heads .
61MwTKwFjlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17987 posts
12680 upvotes
Markham
Do you have space to leave bikes low with easy access or do you want this up high above you head/car height?

You can't mount to ceiling or you prefer to mount on wall?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4374 posts
3217 upvotes
Edmonton
gr8dlr wrote: Do you have space to leave bikes low with easy access or do you want this up high above you head/car height?

You can't mount to ceiling or you prefer to mount on wall?
Trying to clear floor space. Prefer a wall mount but I think that while clearing floor space, it will just create an obstruction for passing.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17987 posts
12680 upvotes
Markham
starchoice wrote: Trying to clear floor space. Prefer a wall mount but I think that while clearing floor space, it will just create an obstruction for passing.
High up is best IMO. No obstruction passing.

You can create a wall mounted bike pulley system... That's what i have in my garage for the bike.

Pulleys are great as you can mount really high up. $15 to $20 at Princess Auto.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Mar 7, 2006
212 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: High up is best IMO. No obstruction passing.

You can create a wall mounted bike pulley system... That's what i have in my garage for the bike.

Pulleys are great as you can mount really high up. $15 to $20 at Princess Auto.
+1 regarding pulley system install
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1458 posts
463 upvotes
Vaughan
I had limited wall space and didn't want to screw/hang my bikes, so I bought a bike nook. Works pretty well in saving space in the garage. You'll obviously save more space if you hang or use a pully system but this is the least intrusive way and thought I'd mention it in case you haven't considered it.

My only beef with it is that you have to also velcro the tires once it's up which isn't the end of the world. At the end of the season, you can also bring it to your basement or shed to store it the same way.

here's the canadian tire website - i bought two straight off their direct website and it was slightly cheaper.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bike ... 8707p.html
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1386 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
dealhunting wrote: I settled on something similar to bellow. Its approx $100 from amazon but you can easily make one out of a 48-72" length of 2x4 and some bike hooks for about $25 or less depending on what material you have on hand. It used up the smallest amount of wall space but since the bikes are mounted perpendicular to the wall, they will stick out the height of the bike, and narrow your parking space if you mount it on a side wall instead of @ the end. Wife and kids can easily lift and replace the bikes.
711zQEkq+WL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Another solution was to mount the bikes singly, either horizontally or vertically along the wall. Either with 1 bike above another, or all in a row. I found while that configuration didn't interfere with parking (bikes stood out as far as the width of the handle bars, it took up a lot of wall space and in the 2x2 config, the kids and wife would need to lift the bikes over their heads .
61MwTKwFjlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Where is that second one found?
JS
Mar 17, 2004
494 posts
56 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote: Where is that second one found?
There are various versions on amazon.ca. Make sure you read the reviews as they all look similar but as with everything on amazon, the quality and specs vary greatly.
Aug 15, 2016
196 posts
315 upvotes
imonbelay wrote: These are quality bike racks but may be a little on the expensive side. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5049-026/ ... lour=NOC02

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5003-950/ ... lour=NOC02
I recently used the one in the first link here and really liked it. The ability to pivot the bikes so they are against the wall could be a big space saver if done correctly.