[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario

Bike Repair

Hello All,

Have been trying to contact a few bike shops in my area for repair but everybody is swamped and some of them even said they wont take any repairs currently. So I have a older CCM bike where the rear rim/tire has come very loose. I just took it apart and it looks like the bolt that runs through the while rim snapped and also the bearings are bad.

To repair this, are the parts replaceable or is it something where the full rim should be replaced? If so what should I look for & where?

Thanks
Images
  • IMG_4736.JPG
  • IMG_4737.jpg
  • IMG_4739.jpg
  • IMG_4742.JPG
  • IMG_4745.jpg
  • IMG_4746.JPG
  • IMG_4747.JPG
  • IMG_4748.jpg
  • IMG_4749.JPG
  • IMG_4750.jpg
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2527 posts
695 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Your freehub axle snapped. You were going to call a repair shop? That bike is not even worth an hour of min wage labor.

Kijiji yourself a new-old 26" 7 speed rear wheel...or a whole bike, one without bald tires. These aren't really universal so look for another CCM/supercycle.
Like this one https://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike/o ... ?undefined

Scam artists are asking ridiculous prices for junk now because of the corona so it might not even be worth it to repair.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
I know its old but I do like the bike so I would spend some money on it, The idea (depending on price) would be to fix it and replace both tires. Also as you say everything is overpriced now due to Covid, so I would rather spend $200 on this bike then $300-400 on a used bike that I dont know the history of you know.

Thanks

nabiul wrote: Your freehub axle snapped. You were going to call a repair shop? That bike is not even worth an hour of min wage labor.

Kijiji yourself a new-old 26" 7 speed rear wheel...or a whole bike, one without bald tires. These aren't really universal so look for another CCM/supercycle.
Like this one https://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike/o ... ?undefined

Scam artists are asking ridiculous prices for junk now because of the corona so it might not even be worth it to repair.
Jan 22, 2017
384 posts
245 upvotes
GTA
Where are you located? Check out Mark's Bikes in North York. Younger guy operating out of his house. Seems knowledgable and prices are good.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
West end of Toronto,

I'll look him up, thanks.
papermate2 wrote: Where are you located? Check out Mark's Bikes in North York. Younger guy operating out of his house. Seems knowledgable and prices are good.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4809 posts
2930 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Kijiji for backyard fixer dude if you want to fix it. But I would look for another bike.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1912 posts
2151 upvotes
Downtown Toronto, Mike the Bike (https://mikethebike.ca/) might be able to help as it seems like he sometimes sources used or harder to find items. Prices seem fair as well.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1188 upvotes
sickcars wrote: I know its old but I do like the bike so I would spend some money on it, The idea (depending on price) would be to fix it and replace both tires. Also as you say everything is overpriced now due to Covid, so I would rather spend $200 on this bike then $300-400 on a used bike that I dont know the history of you know.

Thanks
I like your way . Fix not dispose .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15003 posts
11527 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
He is saving the environment.
pfbmgd wrote: I like your way . Fix not dispose .

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1385 posts
116 upvotes
GTA
the same situation for me - I've ordered my hub skewers via Amazon. I could only find Chinese part suppliers with 2 months delivery though. Waiting a long time....
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15302 posts
20643 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd just look for another used bike. Buy it just for the rear wheel. Swap the wheel out.
NB @nabiul referred to your hub as a "freehub" but that's not the right term. You have a conventional hub and freewheel. Broken axles are a common issue with these. Freehubs are the more modern type; broken axles are rare with freehubs.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
Got 2 local bike shops reply to me, Looking at around $50 to repair the hub & tires are around $30/each. So less then I was actually expecting. I will likely have them at the very least inspect and grease the front bearing/hub if not replace it since the bike is around 15-20 years old if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24389 posts
33400 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: West end of Toronto,

I'll look him up, thanks.
Dave Fix My Bike has been ok for us. He is quite backlogged though so it may take a few days for your fix.

Address: 254 Christie St, Toronto, ON M6G 3B8
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 11 a.m.
Phone: (416) 944-2453
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)