62 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer T2180 for $365

Deal Link:
Price:
$365
Retailer:
Bike24.de
Just got the Tacx Vortex Smart (bike) Trainer for 210 euros (~363 CAD incl shipping) plus any duty/taxes I might pay. I'm looking forward to some winter training at home.

https://www.bike24.com/p299376.html

Make sure to select Canada as your country to avoid VAT.

Description of Tacx Vortex Smart T2180 Ergotrainer
The Vortex Smart is an interactive Smart trainer with an electro brake. This resistance unit is suitable for an average training level and can reach a maximum resistance is 950 Watt. Instead of using a handlebar computer you train by connecting the Vortex quickly and easily to the Tacx Cycling apps. If you want to train with a PC or laptop you can purchase the Upgrade Smart. Of the many possible training options, you can choose the software that best matches you and your way of training. The Vortex communicates wirelessly via ANT+ and Bluetooth® wireless technology. You can attach your tablet or smartphone to your handlebar with a special bracket (optional).

Technical details:
Software PC/laptop Tacx Cycling app
Operation
Resistance unit Electro
Realistic slope 7% (with a total weight of 75 kg)
Max brake power (10 sec.) 950 Watt
Sprint power (1 min.) 750 Watt
Mass inertia 11,81 kg (flywheel effect: the higher the value, the more realistic the cycling experience)
7 replies
Aug 28, 2018
8 posts
It seems like 250 EUROS actually...Pretty sweet deal, I am curious as to what will be the taxes/duties paid...
Jan 2, 2010
395 posts
124 upvotes
Be aware of the noise issues mentioned previous discussion thread: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/tacx-t2 ... o-1808271/

I have had one for 3(4?) years. I requested a replacing unit right after I noticed this noise defect. The replacement unit has been fine ever since. However, I am not a heavy user, usually just ride in snow/rain days for an hour or so when I can't run outside.
Jan 2, 2010
395 posts
124 upvotes
Fwarthold wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:54 am
It seems like 250 EUROS actually...Pretty sweet deal, I am curious as to what will be the taxes/duties paid...
I recall I paid duties on it. They ship via Canada Post. Even with duties add on to it, it was much cheaper than getting from LBS at the time. Just note that the power plug is European standard so you need a converter.
Aug 28, 2018
8 posts
sparklo wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:14 pm
I recall I paid duties on it. They ship via Canada Post. Even with duties add on to it, it was much cheaper than getting from LBS at the time. Just note that the power plug is European standard so you need a converter.
What was the total price?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2937 posts
763 upvotes
Mississauga
I got this last time and total came in at just over $500 after all.
You will either need a plug converter or a new electrical cord.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2004
137 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It goes down to 210 euros if you select Canada as your country.

I'm also concerned about the noise; but apparently this is par for the course with wheel-on trainers. I'm not sure I will dig the smart trainer. So paying more for a direct drive model is not attractive to me.

At this price, you can probably sell it used for cost or a slight discount.