Biking from Milton to Mississauga/Hamilton

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2020 7:17 am
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1618 posts
1193 upvotes
GTA West
king_george wrote: I wanted to go from oakville to Burlington on the trails with a ebike and got directed to the QEW by Google. One exit from Trafalgar to Dorval.
I didnt use it.
I am not trying to inspire the OP, but there was this recent news video of a 6-year old bicycling on the 403 through Hamilton.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.5690387
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6769 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
Move back to holland, bike there safely

Canada is not meant for cycling, more so in winter weathers
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
10846 posts
109 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I am not trying to inspire the OP, but there was this recent news video of a 6-year old bicycling on the 403 through Hamilton.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.5690387
I saw that. I had an ebike though. :lol: I'm faster.
I'd love to know how the hell he got there.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3893 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote: Canada is not meant for cycling, more so in winter weathers
Both ignorant, and ridiculous.
What you are saying is that you lack the ability to do both.
Canada is very much meant for cycling, even in winter weathers.
I say this as someone who has ridden a bike across the entire country, and as someone who cycles through the winter.
[OP]
Jun 2, 2018
14 posts
3 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Did you check out the walking and cycling routes suggested by Google maps? You could also consider a hybrid bike-bus route where the buses have racks. For example you may be able to bike Milton-Burlington downtown which is downhill and then take the Hamilton bus from there. I don't know if they have bike racks on that route.

Also, check out the Halton Region cycling route map:

https://www.halton.ca/The-Region/Explor ... by-Bike#03

Gelukkig fietsen!
Bedankt! This is very helpful.

And thanks everyone else :). I saw the suggestion "move back" somewhere: this is not really an option :P (I'm sure my parents would love it though haha).
Mar 16, 2018
675 posts
763 upvotes
Hamilton
I can't help you much with the Milton side of your trip, but the waterfront from Niagara through to Toronto is extremely well developed with safe infrastructure! You can get from Niagara Falls to Etobicoke (where there the trail falls apart for a few kilometers due to Lakefront's terrible multi-use sidewalk thing) and then on to the rest of Toronto's beautiful waterfront infrastructure. So long as you keep close to the lake, Burlington, Hamilton, and Oakville are very safe for cycling- psycho commuters are mostly in the arterial road and freeway strips.
apnayloags wrote: Move back to holland, bike there safely

Canada is not meant for cycling, more so in winter weathers
What's up with Canadians in Southern Ontario pretending we live in igloos year round? We have a very mild climate- in Hamilton, our winters lately have only had a few weeks of lasting snow-cover. Northern Europe is just as cold with the same or more snow, yet they have healthy bike cultures. Hell, we have some very strong Norwegian pro-cyclists this year and they are a winter sports powerhouse. I think we push this "Canada is too cold to bike!" logic because on average we're overweight and lazy, so it's in our selfish interest to pretend that outdoor activities are impossible.