• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 11:51 pm
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
160 posts
55 upvotes

Billa Appliances in Markham refusing warranty

Hi all,

I need see advice. I purchased a brand new TU8000 Samsung TV from Billa Appliances in Markham in August 2020.

2-3 months ago the TV started to develop some heavy vertical banding. I contacted Samsung and after 2 weeks of photo evidence, calls, chats, etc, they admitted the TV needed to be returned to the stored (since it's within 1 year warranty).

Samsung confirmed a RA will be issued to Billa, and Billa will contact me for the exchange.

They never did. I contact Billa on April 9th and they keep saying they are waiting for Samsung's paper. I know this is a lie because Samsung Executive Customer Relations sent me a copy of the RA form. Billa was sent the same form on April 13.

Billa has 45 days to return the TV to Samsung before the Return Authorization expires. We're almost at 30 days and nobody from the store will return my calls or emails.

Is there anything I can do at this point? Why would they not want to honour the warranty when Samsung has already approved it? It's been an absolute nightmare dealing with these people.
7 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13217 posts
10091 upvotes
GTA, ON
Why don't you call Samsung again, explain the situation, and ask them to forward another copy today to Billa, then call Billa & tell them it will be in their email box later today, and then show up tomorrow with copy of the same RA in hand and tell them to take the damn TV and give you another one. If not, tell them you'll call Samsung again, escalate and report that the authorized dealer is refusing to cooperate. That should get the ball rolling.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9154 posts
2781 upvotes
London
We're almost at 30 days and nobody from the store will return my calls or emails.

I see they have social media accounts....
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
160 posts
55 upvotes
Perhaps they saw this thread...I don't know, but I finally got a call back. TV will be replaced this week.
All in all I've spend about 14 hours on both chat and phone with Samsung, exchanged 18 emails with both Samsung and the store combined, and provided countless pictures to Samsung of the defect.

I'm glad Billa is pulling through, but this will be my first and last Samsung anything.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2913 posts
2309 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Stangn99 wrote: Perhaps they saw this thread...I don't know, but I finally got a call back. TV will be replaced this week.
All in all I've spend about 14 hours on both chat and phone with Samsung, exchanged 18 emails with both Samsung and the store combined, and provided countless pictures to Samsung of the defect.

I'm glad Billa is pulling through, but this will be my first and last Samsung anything.
Dude, I don't think Samsung was the issue here. Faults happen. As you have described it, Samsung did some investigation then approved the warranty. It was the retailer that let you down.

You say '2 weeks'...was that communication each day, every day for the two weeks, or was it a communication every couple of days? Also, don't forget, there is a response time. Sure - you may respond immediately you received something from Samsung, but it's unreasonable to think they would respond immediately. Each need for a response - whether from you or them - adds to the delay.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4300 posts
3272 upvotes
Vancouver
Usually, it's because warranty compensation by the manufacturer is low or reimbursement is slow.

Authorized dealers often have to pay upfront for these warranty issues, including returns. It's a lot of work for not a lot of money.

LG is a good example of this.
Sep 3, 2019
980 posts
673 upvotes
GTA
Visited their Markham site a few times for an appliance last year, but now, with this thread, I'll have to rethink them next time I need an appliance.

Regardless of the reason, post-sale CS is where one can find out what the leadership team genuinely think of their customers.