Credit Cards

BILLING ADDRESS: can you use a fictitious name?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2019 10:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2104 posts
769 upvotes

BILLING ADDRESS: can you use a fictitious name?

When purchasing something online with a CC, can you use a fake first and last name in the billing address field?

The address though will be my real one.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2355 posts
806 upvotes
Winnipeg
I dont think. but why dont you try it. Do a typo. The worst that will happen in charge wont go through. It would have taken you less time to try it, than to make a thread about it. Also, this should in Credit Cards under Personal Finance.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6136 posts
1064 upvotes
No, i dont think you can. First and last names must match so your credit card company won't question the charge.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43712 posts
6942 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Are you trying to mask an address on a shipping label?
Because if billing address doesnt match address on the credit card... i imagine that it will cause mismatching info With the creditcard and cause it to decline.

Try it...

Its the shipping address that don’t matter because i put my work or my friend’s addresses no problem. Even change the name.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
777 upvotes
centre of universe
Seks wrote: When purchasing something online with a CC, can you use a fake first and last name in the billing address field?

No.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11501 posts
7789 upvotes
Edmonton
Seks wrote: When purchasing something online with a CC, can you use a fake first and last name in the billing address field?

The name is one of the key identifiers for the "card not present" validation. With some merchants, they just check the name. Others will check name, address, phone number, etc. But as far as I know, the name is likely to be the minimum that has to match what's on the credit card. It's been quite awhile since I worked in that world (integrating online systems to payment processing) so I forget the terms used, but I imagine the idea is still there.

As the others have said, try it and see, if you want to. Worst case scenario, it fails and you have to re-enter the correct information.

C
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1192 upvotes
Vancouver
What about your cc have 4 word name?
Miss out some to buy stuff?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8545 posts
2495 upvotes
Mississauga
I have put in a different name in the billing address and the transaction went thru no problem. (This is with the corporate credit card, I inputted my name in the billing area instead of the boss). I even sign my signature. No problem.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Feb 24, 2019
214 posts
311 upvotes
mine works with the short or long version of my first name
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3429 posts
1462 upvotes
Scarborough
I've used different names and it works, if it ships to the post office, long as your address matches the address on the package it doesn't matter what name is shown. if you want to be really secure just use any name with a prepaid.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
711 upvotes
Waterloo

a friend had their credit info stolen and had stuff actually delivered to the correct address with a false name. they picked them up after a few days and the friend didn't think a thing of it until a few days after. when the statement came.

WAS THAT YOU?
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4629 posts
2983 upvotes
Burnaby
Seks wrote: BILLING ADDRESS: can you use a fictitious name?

When purchasing something online with a CC, can you use a fake first and last name in the billing address field?

So many ways this practice can be used for fraud.

Some relevant information about how it's handled (in the U.S.)

What are the consecuences of using a false name when using a valid credit card on the internet? [closed] -- Information Security Stack Exchange

FRAUD PREVENTION -- Merchant Credit Card Fraud Prevention Tips -- Tips on how to possibly prevent credit card fraud.

How is a cardholder name used when you pay with a credit card online? -- Quora

BTW, this thread should be in the Credit Cards forum --- although the thread discusses how to commit CC fraud and may violate RFD Forum Rules and ToS.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2417 posts
663 upvotes
Sounds like the OP found a credit card somewheres and wants to use it :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2104 posts
769 upvotes
o god...all these assumptions about frauds and such. :facepalm:
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13677 posts
11174 upvotes
Leask
agreed with suggestion to use prepaid card. that said, can get no cost supp cards to any name on no-af cards.
No solicitation in sigs