• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2018 8:13 pm
Tags:
Sep 18, 2011
233 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, Canada

Bird Nest!

I know that once they lay eggs, I can't do anything about it but once they all fly away, do I just call pest control? Any recommendations for GTA?

(Sorry, first time owning a house. Always lived in a condo before)...
3 replies
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
I have birdnests,,after done..could just knock down nest with broom and throw away ..as ours is on top of light..
Sep 18, 2011
233 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
dcjcdc wrote: I have birdnests,,after done..could just knock down nest with broom and throw away ..as ours is on top of light..
Two problems with mine.

1) Mine is inside a very very tiny vent that comes out of the laundry room. I don't think I can reach with my hand alone.
2) It's located on the third floor. Only way is to reach via ladder on top of a very tiny porch which can be dangerous.

This is a newly built townhome. The buidler won't do anything about it..
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5528 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Just had to deal with a like situation at the end of last week.

Depending on what bird is nesting there, it could get ugly and I'd deal with it now rather than wait as much as a bird liker that I am. Most likely swallows or maybe starlings (latter is an invasive species and I would have no problem eliminating the nest).

I went to place a 4" back-draft dampener on one of the fan outlets in my house (requires a 16' extension ladder to get to). There was a poorly-installed (offset by `1") pest guard so didn't think anything of it until I installed the dampener and it wasn't opening with the fan on.

Took down the fan from the housing and found that the internal dampener wouldn't open. Pushed harder and it did, and found straw and nest detritus. Previous owners had just put a pest guard over without clearing out the nest.

Took me a shop vac, ladder, stick handle, multi-jointed swifter-like broom handle, toilet snake(!) among other things to loosen up the next enough to push it out ~3-4' to the exit. Don't use the blower of a shopvac until you cleared out the majority of the muck!

BTW, the builder should have installed a pest guard.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China