Birth control pill and hair loss

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:46 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes

Birth control pill and hair loss

This is embarrassing, but I have been trying to deal with hair loss. Having been on the BCP for decades, and after proverbially pulling my hair out while trying to figure out why I'm losing hair at a rate that is concerning me now, my research has helped me unearth the fact that the BCP can cause hair loss. Before anyone asks, I've done all of the blood work and no GP can explain why I'm losing hair at this rate.

Women have reported the BCP can cause hair loss, and women have reported temp. hair loss after going on it, or going off of it.

Do any of you women here isolated the cause of hair loss due to the BCP exclusively, and if so, what was your experience, say, while coming off of it?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
1 reply
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
It's not embarrassing at all. :)

I think the nature of the anecdotes related to hair loss blamed on birth control pills means that it's usually very difficult to pinpoint...but not invalid. Particularly with age being a natural factor (hair can start to thin out in the 30s and beyond.) Relatedly, some women have told me their hair was as its thickest and shiniest during pregnancy, but afterwards their hair fell out in clumps and "never recovered".

Total conjecture here -- you could try generic Rogaine solution for 3-6 months and see if it helps you at all...there are also those scalp massaging brushes (or you could use your own fingers to give yourself light scalp massages); maintain good nutrition, exercise, stress control and sleep, and see if your hair recovers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)